Author Topic: not about the money  (Read 5885 times)

Bubbles

Re: not about the money
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
Why does someone else doing something bad justify other's doing it?

Do you have an objection to someone being able to earn a small amount of money for luxuries, while they have been given bed and board by the state?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
Do you have an objection to someone being able to earn a small amount of money for luxuries, while they have been given bed and board by the state?
I object to slave labour. Any chance you will answer the question that was asked?

Bubbles

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
I object to slave labour. Any chance you will answer the question that was asked?

How?

I don't think immigrants being allowed to do something to earn a small amount of pocket money to earn a few luxuries and prevent boredom, is indentured slavery.

For a start, it's voluntary.

Secondly they get paid for it, slaves don't.

I don't think the idea was to use them as slaves or cheap labour.

I'm not talking full time work.

This is more along the lines of pocket money.

You always push things to such an extreme you lose the plot!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:00:58 PM by Rose »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »
How?

I don't think immigrants being allowed to do something to earn a small amount of pocket money to earn a few luxuries and prevent boredom, is indentured slavery.

For a start, it's voluntary.

Secondly they get paid for it, slaves don't.

I don't think the idea was to use them as slaves or cheap labour.

I'm not talking full time work.

This is more along the lines of pocket money.

You always push things to such an extreme you lose the plot!
They are not children and don't need to be 'allowed' to do work. They are de facto being used as cheap labour.

I note you again  didn't answer the question.

Robbie

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »
You're certainly right there Rose! (Your last post)

People in prison who have jobs receive very small pay too. They have bed & board but the paid work they do saves someone paying a non-prisoner a lot more for doing same. Some of the jobs would be done abroad anyway if not by HMP residents.

Getting a job in prison is something a lot of them compete for, they don't think about being exploited.  It means they have more money to buy a few things, like you say, pocket money.

We could debate situation ethics ad infinitum but at the end of the day having a few bob is better than no bob & it's not forever.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »
If you were an immigrant stuck in one of those camps, you'd jump at anything.

A lot of them are escaping far worse situations than three meals a day.

You took my post out of context, didn't you?
All I asked was would you jump at the chance of a 50p an hour job.
Would you?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Rhiannon

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »

People in prison who have jobs receive very small pay too. They have bed & board but the paid work they do saves someone paying a non-prisoner a lot more for doing same. Some of the jobs would be done abroad anyway if not by HMP residents.

Getting a job in prison is something a lot of them compete for, they don't think about being exploited.  It means they have more money to buy a few things, like you say, pocket money.

We could debate situation ethics ad infinitum but at the end of the day having a few bob is better than no bob & it's not forever.

These people are asylum seekers, not criminals and rat infested 'accommodation' scarcely qualifies as 'bed and board'.

Bubbles

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 07:06:19 PM »
All I asked was would you jump at the chance of a 50p an hour job.
Would you?

Stop trying to make it something it's not.

Thousands of people opt for about 50p hour when they choose to do something like selling  Avon or Christmas cards.

You never make much for the amount of time you spend going around other people's houses.

People do it because they don't mind and it brings in a few bob to spend on luxuries.

So yes, when my children were small, I was happy to do those things.

If I was an immigrant, so unable to work, yes I'd be happy to do something to get myself some luxuries.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:08:34 PM by Rose »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 07:06:33 PM »

You could, mmm, I don't know just pay them decently for their work. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »
Stop trying to make it something it's not.

Thousands of people opt for about 50p hour when they choose to do something like selling  Avon or Christmas cards.

You never make much for the amount of time you spend going around other people's houses.

People do it because they don't mind and it brings in a few bob to spend on luxuries.

So yes, when my children were small, I was happy to do those things.

If I was an immigrant, so unable to work, yes I'd be happy to do something to get myself some luxuries.

Leaving aside your conflation of immigrants and asylum seekers, something that is all too common, that they aren't allowed to work is a legal position which should not be got round by paying them slave wages.

Bubbles

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 07:13:41 PM »
You could, mmm, I don't know just pay them decently for their work.

In the case of prisoners, no. They are already getting bed and board and colour TVs. 

Pensioners don't get that if they have to stay in hospital for more than a certain number of weeks. They get their pension taken away, and if they don't have family and rent they can lose their home.

Why on earth would we keep prisoners, and pay them a decent wage as well?

At least I have some sympathy for immigrants, and pensioners, prisoners don't deserve a decent wage, they are being punished.

Bubbles

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 07:14:26 PM »
Leaving aside your conflation of immigrants and asylum seekers, something that is all too common, that they aren't allowed to work is a legal position which should not be got round by paying them slave wages.

It's not slave labour, it's pocket money.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »
Keep telling yourself that, maybe it will help you sleep at night while you support paying slave wages to the downtrodden.

Rhiannon

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »

It's slave labour because it is jobs that are essential and should be advertised and recruited at the minimum wage. It's slave labour because those that do the work can't get proper jobs even though they have done *nothing* wrong. Many will be victims of beatings and torture.

And it isn't pocket money. They are adults (again, who have done *nothing* wrong) and who deserve to be treated with the same dignity as you or I.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »
In the case of prisoners, no. They are already getting bed and board and colour TVs. 

Pensioners don't get that if they have to stay in hospital for more than a certain number of weeks. They get their pension taken away, and if they don't have family and rent they can lose their home.

Why on earth would we keep prisoners, and pay them a decent wage as well?

At least I have some sympathy for immigrants, and pensioners, prisoners don't deserve a decent wage, they are being punished.

Didn't day they did, I was talking about the asylum seekers who you think should be treated like prisoners.

Bubbles

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
Didn't day they did, I was talking about the asylum seekers who you think should be treated like prisoners.

🙄

I never said anything like that  ::)

Bubbles

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
It's slave labour because it is jobs that are essential and should be advertised and recruited at the minimum wage. It's slave labour because those that do the work can't get proper jobs even though they have done *nothing* wrong. Many will be victims of beatings and torture.

And it isn't pocket money. They are adults (again, who have done *nothing* wrong) and who deserve to be treated with the same dignity as you or I.

Being in an immigration centre isn't that then, is it?

Nothing at all like being treated with dignity, like you and me. I know they haven't done anything wrong, never said they had.

They already are not being treated to the same dignity as you and I, they are in immigration centres.
You are blind to that bit, obviously.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 09:45:47 PM »
🙄

I never said anything like that  ::)
How is saying that prisoners are paid low wages, and therefore it is OK to pay asylum seekers (BTW not immigrants) that OK, not exactly that?

Robbie

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2017, 10:11:43 PM »
It was me that brought up prisoners actually and maybe not a fair comparison to asylum seekers who haven't committed crimes.
I was merely thinking that they too are people who work for a pittance. I got the impression that Rose thought it was not a particularly fair comparison because of the difference in status.

Asylum seekers who are living in centres are presumably not allowed to go out and get jobs in the same way as us, pay tax, etc.  They are temporarily housed, given food and medical care, any little money is a welcome extra & probably even an interest while they wait.

No-one pretends its an ideal situation. I'd like to hear what ex-asylum seekers who have been in that situation think about it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
It was me that brought up prisoners actually and maybe not a fair comparison to asylum seekers who haven't committed crimes.
I was merely thinking that they too are people who work for a pittance. I got the impression that Rose thought it was not a particularly fair comparison because of the difference in status.

Asylum seekers who are living in centres are presumably not allowed to go out and get jobs in the same way as us, pay tax, etc.  They are temporarily housed, given food and medical care, any little money is a welcome extra & probably even an interest while they wait.

No-one pretends its an ideal situation. I'd like to hear what ex-asylum seekers who have been in that situation think about it.
So if we stop people earning, they should be grateful for any crumbs thet might get a chance at?

floo

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »

No way should prisoners be paid for the work they do! >:(

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
No way should prisoners be paid for the work they do! >:(

Quite right. Flog them toll they drop in their tracks. EVIL SCUM.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Robbie

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
 ;D
They don't earn much floo. It's not unreasonable for someone to, say, be assembling feather dusters, putting the heads on and packaging them, to be paid something by those who will eventually be distributing them to high street shops at profit. It also helps develop a work ethic in some people who have never had legitimate work. What would they do otherwise? Theink of the saying - "Devil makes work for idle hands" (even tho' you may not believe in a literal devil  ;). Occupation is good & it helps prison staff to maintain a calmer atmosphere.

However the point of this thread (my fault for going off on tangent about prisoners), is whether or not asylum seekers who have jobs are exploited by being paid a pittance. Has anyone asked them how they feel about it?

floo

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 01:47:09 PM »
Quite right. Flog them toll they drop in their tracks. EVIL SCUM.

Why should they be paid, when they owe a debt to society, which is why they are in prison in the first place?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
Why should they be paid, when they owe a debt to society, which is why they are in prison in the first place?

Yes quite right. EVIL SCUM.8
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.