Author Topic: What's good about Christianity?  (Read 14910 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: What's good about Christianity?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »
The gentle loving forgiveness and understanding that my mother has always shown.

Rhiannon

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »
The Lindisfarne Gospels

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 08:47:57 PM »
Was at a funeral today in a standard mid late 60s church, and there was a rather lovely set of stations of the cross.

Rhiannon

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »
Oh that reminds me of the gorgeous house of retreat at Pleshey, associated with the mystic Evelyne Underhill.

Sad to hear that, NS.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »
Oh that reminds me of the gorgeous house of retreat at Pleshey, associated with the mystic Evelyne Underhill.

Sad to hear that, NS.
Really not an issue, was there to be a support for a friend. Today's reading which was not chosen deliberately was a thing though, don't eat the sciatic nerve!!!

On topic - J S Bach, and the discipline he followed .

Rhiannon

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »
Hildegard of Bingen.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 09:14:47 PM »
As a caveat though, much of the art, action and intention I might choose ad Christian isn't produced in a vacuum. I see the same beauty in Gonnagle as Rumi as Pele as .... While I think the word spiritual a useless leaking bucket, I end up posting on this thread about beauty 'for me', just as usrlrdsy, just as leaking.

Take away Christianity and we are left with what? It is not the source of the beauty not even the trigger. And the same applies to the evil committed in its name and the ugliness. Rather it is what some beauty exists in the name of...

ad_orientem

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 09:46:49 PM »
The ancient liturgies, especially the hours.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Owlswing

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 09:49:16 PM »
I know: but you were correct anyway.  :)

On topic - I'd add that most Christians I've ever come across are invariably thoughtful and generous people.

I wish that I could say the same - my father was Christian and a bigger bastard it would be hard to find!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

floo

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 08:40:10 AM »
There are some very decent moderate Christians, like my own three girls, but there are some very nasty people claiming to be Christians who make the much maligned Satan look like a saint.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 09:09:17 AM »
Bach's Magnificat.

Many, many other pieces of music inspired by the Church.

The kindness of Christians I have known - although I'm not altogether convinced they wouldn't have been kind anyway.

The cool, calm of Churches.

Southwell Minster.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

floo

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »
Bach's Magnificat.

Many, many other pieces of music inspired by the Church.

The kindness of Christians I have known - although I'm not altogether convinced they wouldn't have been kind anyway.

The cool, calm of Churches.

Southwell Minster.

I agree, religion doesn't usually change someone's personality, in my experience.

Shaker

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 10:02:29 AM »
The Quakers.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
Rhi,

Ridden past it many times on my bike. Very nice.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
NS,

As a caveat though, much of the art, action and intention I might choose ad Christian isn't produced in a vacuum. I see the same beauty in Gonnagle as Rumi as Pele as .... While I think the word spiritual a useless leaking bucket, I end up posting on this thread about beauty 'for me', just as usrlrdsy, just as leaking.

Take away Christianity and we are left with what? It is not the source of the beauty not even the trigger. And the same applies to the evil committed in its name and the ugliness. Rather it is what some beauty exists in the name of...

Yup. I remember someone asking where we'd be without the great art and architecture that's "Christian" as if Wren and Pergolesi and the rest would have been cabbage farmers instead. The answer I'd have thought would be that we'd have different buildings, paintings, music etc rather than none.

PS A lot of paintings of saints are awful dull too by the way  ;) 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Rhiannon

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
I agree. But this isn't just about Christian art, music and architecture.

Rhiannon

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
Rhi,

Ridden past it many times on my bike. Very nice.

The atmosphere inside is one of complete calm. In the little church, too. It has a set of the Stations of the Cross as NS mentioned, starting outside IIRC.

Incidentally, having been discussing the Order of the Golden Dawn elsewhere, Underhill was rumoured to be a member.

Enki

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
I think the social aspects of belonging to an organization are important. There are many people who, as part of their individual churches, find a meaning which is suitable for them.

Secondly, I think that for some people the comfort that they find from their particular brand of Christianity is very important to them.

I also find that it can be very refreshing to meet Christians who are not dogmatic, who do not try to push their brand of Christianity down your throat, who are caring and pleasant human beings and who have found expression for their particular slant of Christianity within their particular church.

I also think that many of the older church buildings in particular are quite awe inspiring and fascinating, and are part of my cultural heritage.

Sorry, Can't agree about Richard Coles though. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

wigginhall

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
Some of the mystics used to blow my mind, especially of course, Meister Eckhart who is like a Christian version of Rumi and Zen, combined.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2017, 04:31:35 PM »
Some of the mystics used to blow my mind, especially of course, Meister Eckhart who is like a Christian version of Rumi and Zen, combined.

Have they ceased to blow your mind, wiggi?

BTW, I agree with most of the suggestions made by Shaker, Rhiannon, NS and bluehillside, especially the musical ones.

And I'd have to reiterate Richard Holloway - principally because he strikes me as a fine human being and writer, (but also because I know it will wind up Vlad).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:33:56 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
Bach's Magnificat.
His son CPE wrote a very fine one, too

Southwell Minster.

Had a very fine choir when I heard them decades ago.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »
Ely cathedral

Langley chapel

The Authorized Version

The 1662 BCP

Didn't you also have a soft spot for 'Revelations of Divine Love' by St J of N?

Le Bon David

Shaker

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
I'd have to reiterate Richard Holloway - principally because he strikes me as a fine human being and writer
Absolutely. His autobiography, Leaving Alexandria, which I read recently, is one of the most delightful memoirs I've had the pleasure of reading.

(but also because I know it will wind up Vlad).
Always sufficient motivation for anything, surely.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »
Didn't you also have a soft spot for 'Revelations of Divine Love' by St J of N?
Yes! Well remembered that man  :)

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 04:40:28 PM »
Part One of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

Vaughan Williams's opera of the preceding

Not to mention his 5th Symphony, partly inspired by the same.

Le Bon David