Author Topic: Idealism  (Read 16490 times)

SusanDoris

Re: Idealism
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
Lovely post.  We don't get much from Bramble but it is sure worth waiting for  ;)
Seconded.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2017, 09:57:57 AM »

LOL!! I have stated in my reply 50 as follows..."After significant exposure to a variety of cultures, ideas and experiences we tone down this skepticism and reach a more balanced emotional and intellectual state of mind when we are neither influenced by authority nor by habitual skepticism."

Which part of the above, according to you, corresponds to your statement ..." Stage 3: Actually I've decided that Dad does know everything after all"?????!!
The bits were you claimed the following:

'The fact that you hold views opposed to your parents (and are clearly proud of it) is itself evidence of the adolescent mindset continuing even today.'

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
The bits were you claimed the following:

'The fact that you hold views opposed to your parents (and are clearly proud of it) is itself evidence of the adolescent mindset continuing even today.'

Alright...thanks!

Rhiannon

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
Lovely post.  We don't get much from Bramble but it is sure worth waiting for  ;)

Agree completely.  :)

Bramble

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »

What you say brings out the issue with Ideals that I was attempting to bring out in this thread. Many people are actually scared of ideals and about living up to them.....which shows a certain fear of being inadequate and not matching up. This really is unfortunate....and is precisely why I started this thread in the first place. 

Self improvement and development is a normal human trait and comes with our nature. So...most people should not have a problem with ideals. They would be enthused by them in fact.

So far in this thread the word ‘ideals’ has been used to cover a very wide range of things, such as values, beliefs, views, ideologies – pretty much everything that could be bundled together as ‘ways of taking the world’, and you haven’t objected to this broad use of the word so I assume you are happy with people using it in this way. However, going back to the OP you clearly take a particular slant on ideals. For you they are ‘how things should be, how we should live and what goals we should pursue.’ You also say ‘ideals are goals and objectives that people fix…’  So for you ideals are not a general descriptor of how people, in their diversity, take the world in multifarious ways. They are prescriptive and fixed. You lament the cynics for whom nothing is right or wrong in itself and who disapprove of those who prescribe certain lifestyles. This suggests that ideals for you provide a kind of standard model of what a human should think and believe, how they should understand and take the world, and how they should live and behave. For this to be the case, everyone would have to agree on what constituted the ideal human. We would also have to agree that everyone should strive to emulate this ideal.

There appears to be no room in your worldview for difference of opinion. In later posts you talk about people in the ‘mature’ phase of life coming to ‘clear and considered views’ but there is no acknowledgement that different or contradictory views might have equal validity. Rather, your argument would seem to be that with sufficient experience and consideration everyone will come to share the same views, namely yours. Otherwise, why would you be making the case for ideals, if ideals lead people in different and opposing directions, as they very clearly already do in the real world? It is, in fact, precisely this difference in ideals that leads humans to come into conflict with each other and why we as a species spend so much time fighting each other. One might more understandably make the case that ideals are at the root of human strife - that they are in fact a kind of disease. No doubt if everyone was exactly the same then we wouldn’t squabble about what constituted right and wrong. However, this isn’t how things are. But then for you ideals ‘are not just about explaining things as they are’, they ‘are about how things should be’, which we must assume means how you think they should be.

If ideals are to represent a fixed and prescriptive set of beliefs about how people should be then they must come from outside of us. If we generate our own ideals then they will be different and for most individuals they will change over time; they will not be fixed and there could be no standard prescription. In other words, your kind of ideals will necessarily be someone else’s ideals (apparently yours) and we will be obliged to embrace them. Those who do so will be considered to have come to a clear, considered and mature conclusion on the matter and made the correct choice. Those who do not will have fallen short. This sounds awfully Orwellian to me and presumably a society in which such an ideology held sway would necessarily have its thought crimes and their corresponding punishments, here and/or in the next life, for those who fail to comply. History provides plenty of examples of such societies, both religious and secular, and we might do well to heed the lessons that can be learned from them. Unfortunately, humans do seem remarkably unwilling to learn anything from their own mistakes.

The world is already full of ideals. Advocating ideals is hardly a solution, since ideals would appear to be a substantial part of the problem. Ideals imply that there is a right and a wrong way to live and most of us would be happy to go along with this, but only up to a point. We have laws to deal with the most generally agreed standards of behaviour (although these vary from culture to culture: personally I wouldn’t want to live in Saudi Arabia) but you don’t appear to be talking about that level of moral prescription. You write, ‘In present times many people have moved beyond the child stage but not yet reached the Mature stage… Its only about police, courts and criminal offences. Otherwise anything is ok for them.’  Your ideals would seem to be those that go beyond what the law and general opinion prescribes. This is presumably why you specifically refer to ‘spirituality, religions and certain philosophies’ as the home of your ideals. In other words, you are treading familiar ground here. This is about your own religious/spiritual views. Not only do these views indicate how we should all live, it seems, you go on to insist that ‘most people should not have a problem with ideals. They would be enthused by them in fact.’

That word ‘should’ again.

The fact is that everyone already has ideals (in the broadest sense of the word) because everyone has values and views. Your problem isn't really that people don't have ideals, it is that they don’t necessarily share your ideals and your enthusiasm for them. It seems that this is an issue for you and your response is to lecture them on their shortcomings. Have you found this works for you?

ekim

« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2017, 03:28:56 PM »
Yes, a good amplification of what I meant in reply #2, but was too lazy to do so myself.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2017, 04:02:11 PM »
So far in this thread the word ‘ideals’ has been used to cover a very wide range of things, such as values, beliefs, views, ideologies – pretty much everything that could be bundled together as ‘ways of taking the world’, and you haven’t objected to this broad use of the word so I assume you are happy with people using it in this way. However, going back to the OP you clearly take a particular slant on ideals. For you they are ‘how things should be, how we should live and what goals we should pursue.’ You also say ‘ideals are goals and objectives that people fix…’  So for you ideals are not a general descriptor of how people, in their diversity, take the world in multifarious ways. They are prescriptive and fixed. You lament the cynics for whom nothing is right or wrong in itself and who disapprove of those who prescribe certain lifestyles. This suggests that ideals for you provide a kind of standard model of what a human should think and believe, how they should understand and take the world, and how they should live and behave. For this to be the case, everyone would have to agree on what constituted the ideal human. We would also have to agree that everyone should strive to emulate this ideal.

There appears to be no room in your worldview for difference of opinion. In later posts you talk about people in the ‘mature’ phase of life coming to ‘clear and considered views’ but there is no acknowledgement that different or contradictory views might have equal validity. Rather, your argument would seem to be that with sufficient experience and consideration everyone will come to share the same views, namely yours. Otherwise, why would you be making the case for ideals, if ideals lead people in different and opposing directions, as they very clearly already do in the real world? It is, in fact, precisely this difference in ideals that leads humans to come into conflict with each other and why we as a species spend so much time fighting each other. One might more understandably make the case that ideals are at the root of human strife - that they are in fact a kind of disease. No doubt if everyone was exactly the same then we wouldn’t squabble about what constituted right and wrong. However, this isn’t how things are. But then for you ideals ‘are not just about explaining things as they are’, they ‘are about how things should be’, which we must assume means how you think they should be.

If ideals are to represent a fixed and prescriptive set of beliefs about how people should be then they must come from outside of us. If we generate our own ideals then they will be different and for most individuals they will change over time; they will not be fixed and there could be no standard prescription. In other words, your kind of ideals will necessarily be someone else’s ideals (apparently yours) and we will be obliged to embrace them. Those who do so will be considered to have come to a clear, considered and mature conclusion on the matter and made the correct choice. Those who do not will have fallen short. This sounds awfully Orwellian to me and presumably a society in which such an ideology held sway would necessarily have its thought crimes and their corresponding punishments, here and/or in the next life, for those who fail to comply. History provides plenty of examples of such societies, both religious and secular, and we might do well to heed the lessons that can be learned from them. Unfortunately, humans do seem remarkably unwilling to learn anything from their own mistakes.

The world is already full of ideals. Advocating ideals is hardly a solution, since ideals would appear to be a substantial part of the problem. Ideals imply that there is a right and a wrong way to live and most of us would be happy to go along with this, but only up to a point. We have laws to deal with the most generally agreed standards of behaviour (although these vary from culture to culture: personally I wouldn’t want to live in Saudi Arabia) but you don’t appear to be talking about that level of moral prescription. You write, ‘In present times many people have moved beyond the child stage but not yet reached the Mature stage… Its only about police, courts and criminal offences. Otherwise anything is ok for them.’  Your ideals would seem to be those that go beyond what the law and general opinion prescribes. This is presumably why you specifically refer to ‘spirituality, religions and certain philosophies’ as the home of your ideals. In other words, you are treading familiar ground here. This is about your own religious/spiritual views. Not only do these views indicate how we should all live, it seems, you go on to insist that ‘most people should not have a problem with ideals. They would be enthused by them in fact.’

The fact is that everyone already has ideals (in the broadest sense of the word) because everyone has values and views. Your problem isn't really that people don't have ideals, it is that they don’t necessarily share your ideals and your enthusiasm for them. It seems that this is an issue for you and your response is to lecture them on their shortcomings. Have you found this works for you?

I can't say I have read every sentence in your post but I get the general drift and it is not different from what you said earlier.

Generally speaking you seem to have a problem with specified ideals and specified ways of living.  A very 'hippy' attitude IMO. A breakaway and rebellious ..'why should I think that way or live that way' view?

Fine with me. I am not questioning individual concerns, attitudes and motivations.  Obviously every individual has a different background, different childhood experiences and therefore different ideals. Your ideal could be 'Live life as it comes'. Fair enough.

I am speaking from a perspective of a general philosophy of life for all humans. I don't agree that merely because we all have different backgrounds and different  psychological profile and different  life goals....we all are therefore entitled to live as we want. This is precisely where my thread started...from the 'No sex' thread.   

All humans are basically similar and we all have many common ideals and objectives. Even ignoring spirituality, we still have evolution and a common civilization to contend with.  We have been developing in certain uniform ways in spite of different cultures. Our ideals are more common than we realize. Just look at global values and you will see the similarities.

So..there is nothing wrong in expecting humans to live in certain ways and work towards certain common ideals. That is what civilization and social life is all about.

There could be individual compulsions for wanting to break away and to 'live as you please'. But the common ideals of humanity cannot be ignored.

Bramble

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2017, 04:38:22 PM »
I can't say I have read every sentence in your post but I get the general drift and it is not different from what you said earlier.

Actually it was quite different from what I said earlier and had you troubled yourself to read it more thoroughly you might have noticed that.

Generally speaking you seem to have a problem...

Yes. Mainly, that I don't agree with you, it seems.

Shaker

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
Mainly, that I don't agree with you, it seems.
For not bowing down to the almighty Sriram that's just you being a hippyish rebellious adolescent I dare say ::)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »
Actually it was quite different from what I said earlier and had you troubled yourself to read it more thoroughly you might have noticed that.

Yes. Mainly, that I don't agree with you, it seems.

Fine...but you don't agree with...what?  This....?

"So..there is nothing wrong in expecting humans to live in certain ways and work towards certain common ideals. That is what civilization and social life is all about.

There could be individual compulsions for wanting to break away and to 'live as you please'. But the common ideals of humanity cannot be ignored."

Bramble

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »

Fine...but you don't agree with...what?  This....?

"So..there is nothing wrong in expecting humans to live in certain ways and work towards certain common ideals. That is what civilization and social life is all about.

There could be individual compulsions for wanting to break away and to 'live as you please'. But the common ideals of humanity cannot be ignored."

If you trouble yourself to read my posts I think you'll find the answer to your question there. The fact that by your own admission you don't read them properly merely lends support, if any was needed, to the suspicion that you come here less to engage with others than to lecture them. I always read your posts with great care before replying to them, as even a casual reading of my long post would reveal. I'm sorry you can't summon the respect to do the same. It seems I have wasted my time.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2017, 05:13:08 PM »
If you trouble yourself to read my posts I think you'll find the answer to your question there. The fact that by your own admission you don't read them properly merely lends support, if any was needed, to the suspicion that you come here less to engage with others than to lecture them. I always read your posts with great care before replying to them, as even a casual reading of my long post would reveal. I'm sorry you can't summon the respect to do the same. It seems I have wasted my time.

Well....thanks Bramble!

Bramble

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
Well....thanks Bramble!

Well, what can you expect from a rebellious hippy?  ::)

Shaker

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
 And an adolescent one at that ;D
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2017, 05:22:02 PM »
Well, what can you expect from a rebellious hippy?  ::)

Ok...you can have the last word...no problem...

I don't know how old you are....but I do think you could have had a hippy lifestyle in the 1960's/70's at least for some time. 

Anyway...G'night!

Bramble

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »

I don't know how old you are....but I do think you could have had a hippy lifestyle in the 1960's/70's at least for some time. 

Anyway...G'night!

Unfortunately, I was at boarding school during those decades, much of the time being flogged for not living up to other people's ideals, but had I been a bit older, cooler and less shy with the girls I think I might have have enjoyed the hippy scene. I'm making up for it now though  ;)

Good night to you too  8)

Shaker

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2017, 06:37:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I was at boarding school during those decades, much of the time being flogged for not living up to other people's ideals, but had I been a bit older, cooler and less shy with the girls I think I might have have enjoyed the hippy scene. I'm making up for it now though  ;)

Good night to you too  8)
I wasn't even alive in the first of those decades, much less had my parents pay for my being flogged, and that's a constant sorrow all the more acute for knowing many people who were around at the time. Nevertheless, like you I endeavour to make up for it now  :D

Shaker

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
You can have one right now if you put your mind to it a little  :)

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2017, 12:32:00 AM »

Great post - well analysed - I really enjoyed reading your take on this. I think people choose their ideals based on what they value and what they are prepared to sacrifice and the degree of optimism or pessimism they bring to their predictions of future outcomes.

Inevitably this means many of us will have different ideals as we do not value the same things nor are we willing to sacrifice the same things and we have different levels of optimism and pessimism in different situations, influenced by nature and nurture.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2017, 06:27:51 AM »
Great post - well analysed - I really enjoyed reading your take on this. I think people choose their ideals based on what they value and what they are prepared to sacrifice and the degree of optimism or pessimism they bring to their predictions of future outcomes.

Inevitably this means many of us will have different ideals as we do not value the same things nor are we willing to sacrifice the same things and we have different levels of optimism and pessimism in different situations, influenced by nature and nurture.

Yes...but that is too individualistic.  And that is the issue I have with this sort of thing.

Obviously we all can and do have individual ideals, no doubt about that. But most of our Ideals have to be in tandem with the ideals of society as a whole, otherwise they are not ideals, they are just individual objectives.

Whether we blindly follow social ideals because of authority or we rebel because of our individuality or we have a well considered and balanced view on them, is a different matter and depends on which stage of development we are in.

But at the third mature stage, our individual ideals cannot be in conflict with that of our larger society. If it is, then we are still at the rebel stage and our actions could therefore be a matter of concern or sometimes, one of pride.  It means maladjustment.....or in very rare cases, a revolutionary change.

torridon

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2017, 07:03:34 AM »

Yes...but that is too individualistic.  And that is the issue I have with this sort of thing.

Obviously we all can and do have individual ideals, no doubt about that. But most of our Ideals have to be in tandem with the ideals of society as a whole, otherwise they are not ideals, they are just individual objectives.

Whether we blindly follow social ideals because of authority or we rebel because of our individuality or we have a well considered and balanced view on them, is a different matter and depends on which stage of development we are in.

But at the third mature stage, our individual ideals cannot be in conflict with that of our larger society. If it is, then we are still at the rebel stage and our actions could therefore be a matter of concern or sometimes, one of pride.  It means maladjustment.....or in very rare cases, a revolutionary change.

That seems to presuppose that the ideals of society are superior. Maybe it is better to see the ideals of society as a centre of gravity or distillation of the ideals of the individuals in the society, in which case your 'mature' phase reduces to an age related succumbing to conformity.

Shaker

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2017, 07:08:45 AM »
Yes, your problem with individualism has been painfully obvious for a long time.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2017, 07:54:47 AM »
That seems to presuppose that the ideals of society are superior. Maybe it is better to see the ideals of society as a centre of gravity or distillation of the ideals of the individuals in the society, in which case your 'mature' phase reduces to an age related succumbing to conformity.

As I have said, if the individuals ideals are genuinely superior or more relevant to the times, it will result in a revolution and reform. That happens once in a while.

But usually, even though every individual likes to think of his ideals as superior or as revolutionary, in most cases it is just rebellion and asserting ones adolescent individuality. On attaining maturity it would normally correct itself to go along with social ideals. Or the person will remain maladjusted.     

Shaker

« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2017, 07:58:34 AM »
Perhaps it's your "social ideals" which are maladjusted.

Rhiannon

« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:42 AM »
So what are our society's ideals? From what I've seen there's not a great deal I want to sign up to.