Author Topic: BBC pay.  (Read 5770 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

BBC pay.
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:00:00 AM »
BBC about to face criticism for payment of exorbitant fees and will need to increase what it pays in order to overcome it's huge gender gap...........couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

ProfessorDavey

Re: BBC pay.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »
BBC about to face criticism for payment of exorbitant fees and will need to increase what it pays in order to overcome it's huge gender gap...........couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.
What have you got against the BBC?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:42 AM »
Maybe it is secular or antitheist or something?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
I think Dawkins was on it once. That'll be it.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
Maybe it is secular or antitheist or something?

You left out Stalinist.

Shaker

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
They also dramatised Nineteen Eighty Four with Peter Cushing back in the 50s IIRC so there's the Orwell thing too.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
it's their weird take on and perpetuation of British social stratification.
Trivia and celebrity for the lower social orders. Run by lower middle class and working class made good.
News and current affairs for the well healed. Run by public schoolboys and Girls
.....with added condescension.

Rhiannon

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »
You don't just think they give jobs to people who happen to be good at doing them?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
You don't just think they give jobs to people who happen to be good at doing them?
That's often the assumption. However there is that in the BBC of the self perpetuating. A writhing mess and mass of mutual self referential admiration  and an occasional arm flops out for cash. I think there was a kind of Golden age in the 2000 but then most people were better off then and didn't grudge the BBC at a creative high.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:01:45 AM by Questions to Christians »

Rhiannon

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
You are starting to sound like a comment piece in the Mail.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »
There are some interesting points in the story itself. There does seem to be a discrepancy in make/female pay but given the oddities of what 'talent' is not sure it is quite as clear as in some other areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40653383

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
You are starting to sound like a comment piece in the Mail.
The assumption that the BBC must go uncriticised as the preserver and stirrer of much that has gone wrong in society appals me.

floo

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
Some are getting paid a ridiculous sum of money like that guy Chris Evans (£2.2 million), who is rubbish at what he does, imo.  :o

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
Fees published here.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jul/19/who-earns-what-among-bbcs-top-talent

Taking a look at it now........

......Good 'evans!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:52:41 PM by Questions to Christians »

wigginhall

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »
I can't see what the fuss is about, except I suppose it enables the Mail and other tabloids to put on their faux outrage.   Just the Tories attacking the BBC again, isn't it?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 01:03:31 PM »
I can't see what the fuss is about, except I suppose it enables the Mail and other tabloids to put on their faux outrage.   Just the Tories attacking the BBC again, isn't it?
Dangerous gambit by the tories. Who knows where the craze for transparency will end?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 04:50:00 PM »
Highest paid BBC star is Ray King-Ittin.

wigginhall

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 05:59:17 PM »
Dangerous gambit by the tories. Who knows where the craze for transparency will end?

I can tell you, in the private sector.   This is sacred for the Tories. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »
TBH If the BBC pays some people more than some others it does not unduly bother me.

My boss is paid more than I am. I am paid more than my workplace subordinates. So what?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 06:49:18 PM »
TBH If the BBC pays some people more than some others it does not unduly bother me.

My boss is paid more than I am. I am paid more than my workplace subordinates. So what?
Though if you were paid less because of your race or your sex, surely that would be an issue for you?

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »
Though if you were paid less because of your race or your sex, surely that would be an issue for you?

I have had female bosses for most of my working life. The big boss is paid more than any of us, and he is what the Graun calls "BAME".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:37 AM »
I have had female bosses for most of my working life. The big boss is paid more than any of us, and he is what the Graun calls "BAME".
which ignores the point. If you were doing tge same job and were being paid less because of your sex or race, then surely you would object?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 09:25:52 AM »
Jeremy Corbyn falls into the trap set up by the Tories despite it having a big sign saying Trap!!!! next to it, and a bloke pointing at it saying ' That's a trap, that is!'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-bbc-salaries-cut-gary-lineker-chris-evans-slash-labour-win-a7849696.html

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »

Hmmmm....Laura Kuenssberg.

I'm not sure that's the strongest argument I've ever heard you put forward.

Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
Hmmmm....Laura Kuenssberg.

I'm not sure that's the strongest argument I've ever heard you put forward.
Rhiannon merely asked a question, rather than out forward an argument, in response to one of Vlad's slightly prismatic DM rants. I think people have to be careful here of doing exactly what the Tories want. Vlad and JC are merrily readying the tumbrils and the knitting, while Murdoch applauds.