Author Topic: Why did Jesus disappear up to heaven?  (Read 7892 times)

floo

Why did Jesus disappear up to heaven?
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:04:54 PM by Nearly Sane »

Shaker

Re: Why did Jesus disappear up to heaven?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
I have asked this question many times over the years, but have never had a sensible answer from Biblical literalists.
Well there's your problem right there - expecting a sensible answer from a Biblical literalist.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 11:03:30 AM »
I think it reflects the myth of the dying/resurrected god that was common in many mythic cultures. In these stories a mortal man dies, and comes back immortal.

floo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
Well there's your problem right there - expecting a sensible answer from a Biblical literalist.

True, but one day I might get lucky. ;D

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:34:45 AM »
I think it reflects the myth of the dying/resurrected god that was common in many mythic cultures. In these stories a mortal man dies, and comes back immortal.
Very prescient of these cultures..........

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »
If the less than credible story of the resurrection of Jesus is true, why didn't he stay down here on earth instead of disappearing skywards?

If only the 'saved' go to heaven, and the rest end up burning in the fires of hell for all eternity, surely it is most unfair of Jesus not to be doing his bit down here convincing everyone he is all that the gospel writers claim he is.

I have asked this question many times over the years, but have never had a sensible answer from Biblical literalists.
Jesus demonstrates a life possible for Mankind. Birth, death, resurrection, heaven. Anything beyond that like Methusalan longevity and he would have ceased to be Jesus God and Man.......

floo

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »
Jesus demonstrates a life possible for Mankind. Birth, death, resurrection, heaven. Anything beyond that like Methusalan longevity and he would have ceased to be Jesus God and Man.......

I don't get that?

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
If the less than credible story of the resurrection of Jesus is true, why didn't he stay down here on earth instead of disappearing skywards?

If only the 'saved' go to heaven, and the rest end up burning in the fires of hell for all eternity, surely it is most unfair of Jesus not to be doing his bit down here convincing everyone he is all that the gospel writers claim he is.

Because his work on earth was done. He gave the message, it's up to us whether we accept it or not.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
I don't get that?
It means that if he lived for 2000 or more years he could not have led any thing like an authentically human life.

In fact it wouldn't have happened because he would have been subject to the ''kill the freak'' tendency in mankind.

Shaker

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »
It means that if he lived for 2000 or more years he could not have led any thing like an authentically human life.
Supposedly walking on water, reanimating corpses and producing huge numbers of fish finger sandwiches by allegedly magical means isn't my idea of an authentically human life.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 01:00:23 PM »
Supposedly walking on water, reanimating corpses and producing huge numbers of fish finger sandwiches by allegedly magical means isn't my idea of an authentically human life.
Did DavidBowie have an authentically human life? Can a 2000 year old person have an authentic human life.
I think there is no secret that Jesus is also thought of as God. He said himself that others would do greater acts and indeed we find similar in the acts of the apostles.
It didn't help him in front of Pilate and the Pharisees though.

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »
Did DavidBowie have an authentically human life?
Not that I knew him socially but I have every reason to think so.
I think there is no secret that Jesus is also thought of as God.
By some, yes. But some people believe all sorts.
It didn't help him in front of Pilate and the Pharisees though.
Ostensibly not that much of a god, then.

ippy

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »
Because his work on earth was done. He gave the message, it's up to us whether we accept it or not.

Surly H W B, you must mean', It's up to us whether we let ourselves be taken in by these, (until proved otherwise), fictional stories or not.

Ippy

SusanDoris

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 07:10:28 AM »
I wonder if those who say the Creed every week manage to say the words, 'He ascended into heaven' without their brains saying, 'but we know what is up there. If he ascended, he'd need a space suit ....'
In fact, I cannot remember when I last heard any religious speaker talking about heaven as anywhere 'up'!!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

ad_orientem

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »
I wonder if those who say the Creed every week manage to say the words, 'He ascended into heaven' without their brains saying, 'but we know what is up there. If he ascended, he'd need a space suit ....'
In fact, I cannot remember when I last heard any religious speaker talking about heaven as anywhere 'up'!!

That he ascended doesn't mean that heaven is above the clouds. That Christ desended into Hades doen't mean we believe hell is under our feet. But Christ ascending into heaven is a sign, that through him our humanity has been lifted up.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 07:30:07 AM »
Ah. It's one of those it's-a-metaphor moments  ::)

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »
Surly H W B, you must mean', It's up to us whether we let ourselves be taken in by these, (until proved otherwise), fictional stories or not.

Ippy
positive assertion you need to prove it is fiction.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 07:45:05 AM »

You're always whingeing about God not helping out and when God does your whinge about that too.

Goddodging Shakes?

Shaker

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 07:55:45 AM »
You're always whingeing about God not helping out and when God does your whinge about that too.
A few fish finger butties falls a very long way short of what I would call help in a global context, given the alleged powers attributed to alleged entity.

Goddodging Shakes?
Nope. Just pointing out stupid shit as stupid shit, same as usual, Vlad.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 10:43:17 AM »

Ippy

Don't hold your breath.........

No.

floo

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »

Well clearly the guy disappeared too soon having done a bog standard job.

BeRational

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »

That it did NOT happen is the default position.

I think you know this already.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

ad_orientem

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
Ah. It's one of those it's-a-metaphor moments  ::)

There is plenty of metaphor and allegory in the scriptures. Neither of them denies the literal sense. They are not opposed to each other.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ippy

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »

Hi there Vlad, you having another bad day? Think of the teapot Vlad; I'm not making any assertions and as you must know by now, nobody that posts here is that thick, the default position is for those that assert things it's for them to back up these assertions in some way, evidence for example.

Have another read of my post Vlad, it looks to me you may have missed something. 

ippy

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »
That he ascended doesn't mean that heaven is above the clouds. That Christ desended into Hades doen't mean we believe hell is under our feet. But Christ ascending into heaven is a sign, that through him our humanity has been lifted up.

That's a step on the way to John Shelby Spong, who thinks that the Resurrection and the Ascension were originally one 'metaphorical' event, which later became differentiated and given literal narratives.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David