Author Topic: Petrol and diesel cars to be banned by 2040  (Read 7373 times)

floo

Petrol and diesel cars to be banned by 2040
« on: July 26, 2017, 08:46:19 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:59:49 PM by Nearly Sane »

Rhiannon

Re: Petrol and diesel cars to be banned by 2040
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:24:43 AM »
I will sob into my pillow when my diesel car is no more. But there we are. For me the key will be speed of charging - I can fill up in ten minutes and recharging is going to have to improve vastly in order to even come close. I guess that the technology is on the way though.

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:30:25 AM »
I think polluting diesel cars should be removed much sooner than 2040, as they seem to be the main problem.

Fine, if the government will give me the cash to replace it.

BeRational

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:19 AM »
I have no problem as long as their power, and range are the same or better as current diesel vehicles, and the charge time is around 2 minutes.

Anything else is a step backwards.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »
I expect HGVs, tractors and so on will be running on diesel for a fair while yet.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »
Does anyone really believe this commitment to electric cars given the recent row back on electrification of train lines?

I don't believe a single bloomin' word of it.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »
It's all a bit random, really. What phasing diesel and petrol cars by 2040 have to do with doing anything significant about climate change and pollution is effectively nil, especially in regard to the current position. You might as well say they are going to be replaced by fart powered hoverboards.  Meanwhile we continue to expand airports, or at least say that we are going to.

I suspect that if we are correct on climate change, we are screwed anyway.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:51:21 AM by Nearly Sane »

Rhiannon

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 09:50:54 AM »
I think it depends on the advances in technology, as said. If it impacts hugely on our ability to move around the country and keep traffic flowing then it won't happen. The key will be whether electric vehicles have good range, rapid charge times and charging points as numerous as petrol pumps are now.

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 09:53:29 AM »
It's all a bit random, really. What phasing diesel and petrol cars by 2940 have to do with doing anything significant about climate change and pollution is effectively nil, especially in regard to the current position. You might as well say they are going to be replaced by fart powered hoverboards.  Meanwhile we continue to expand airports, or at least say that we are going to.

I suspect that if we are correct on climate change, we are screwed anyway.

I think this is far more about pollution than climate change. Agree with you 110% on airports but then the right to have a stag do in Torremolinos with twenty of your mates seems to be in the Constitution.

But then this banning cars is Doing Something, right?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 10:00:18 AM »
I think this is far more about pollution than climate change. Agree with you 110% on airports but then the right to have a stag do in Torremolinos with twenty of your mates seems to be in the Constitution.

But then this banning cars is Doing Something, right?
it's a brilliant way of doing something in a completely nothing manner. They might as well go the whole hog and say Michael Gove will stand by a different motorway each week with a sign saying 'Down with this sort of thing!'.
It's like saying to a kid, 'If you don't stop doing that this instant, I'm going to count to a million and nine, and then you will be in trouble'
Meanwhile we are going to spend 200m on stuff that we aren't sure about but it will be damn innovative.

I can only assume some other department, probably David Davis, had used the other half of the back of the fag packet.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »
it's a brilliant way of doing something in a completely nothing manner. They might as well go the whole hog and say Michael Gove will stand by a different motorway each week with a sign saying 'Down with this sort of thing!'.
It's like saying to a kid, 'If you don't stop doing that this instant, I'm going to count to a million and nine, and then you will be in trouble'
Meanwhile we are going to spend 200m on stuff that we aren't sure about but it will be damn innovative.

I can only assume some other department, probably David Davis, had used the other half of the back of the fag packet.

No, Macron had it I think.

I'd like to think that this was doing something and nothing. It's actually doing something very big, that could cause huge disruption, possibly compromise safety and the economy and cost a shit load of cash. We have to be sure that it will work as well as, if not better, than what we have now, and that is very far from certain. I live deep in the sticks and rely on my car for pretty much everything, and range and ease of refuelling are key not only to getting around but staying safe. This had better bloody work.

floo

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »
I think if the Government puts up the car tax, year on year, on the most polluting vehicles, be they diesel or petrol, it will give people an incentive to buy less polluting cars. My car is considered to be a low pollutant and I pay less tax on it.

Rhiannon

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
I think if the Government puts up the car tax, year on year, on the most polluting vehicles, be they diesel or petrol, it will give people an incentive to buy less polluting cars. My car is considered to be a low pollutant and I pay less tax on it.

I can't afford to do that. I can't afford to pay a huge amount in tax either. Even though my car is diesel it isn't one of the worst, but if it was I'd have to give up my car, and realistically that would mean selling up and move where there is public transport.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 10:19:07 AM »
The more you read about this, the more utterly pathetic it becomes, and it started as being as pathetic as a tiny mouse squeaking the Pathetique,  caught in the world's biggest mousetrap. This is apparently a tactical solution because they didn't want to come up with a 'botched comprehensive plan'. And while an outright admittance of ineptitude and your inability to do any form of sensible plan might be understandable, we have a random collection of stuff such as non ban ban which won't happen until everyone is dead and is therefore not tactical, and some other stuff that we actually have no idea what it might be so isn't a solution.

To be fair, all of the colossal crapitudinousness  is hidden under the big non ban ban. I can only presume that they had a 'brain' storming session where someone said we're could plan to ban cars like the French, and when it was pointed out that that wasn't happening until the 12th of feckin nevety, just decided it would work as a distraction.

'If we just say we will do it, people will start shouting that we will only take their diesel from their cold dead poisoned by pollution hands, and they won't notice that all we are doing is making Michael Gove attempt to cure diesel cars by rubbing their exhaust, and telling it to go and pollute no more'

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 10:23:54 AM »
No, Macron had it I think.

I'd like to think that this was doing something and nothing. It's actually doing something very big, that could cause huge disruption, possibly compromise safety and the economy and cost a shit load of cash. We have to be sure that it will work as well as, if not better, than what we have now, and that is very far from certain. I live deep in the sticks and rely on my car for pretty much everything, and range and ease of refuelling are key not only to getting around but staying safe. This had better bloody work.
It isn't doing anything at all. The 2040 date has been picked because (a) there is a vague hope that Elon Musk will have done electric magic by then, and (b) the current lot of politicians and civil servants will be in the Betty Grable Retirement Gulag for the Terminally Rich and Useless.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:27:33 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »
The harm to the environment has to be addressed NOW before it is too late, if it isn't already. It is our children and grandchildren who will reap the whirlwind!
And randomly pricing some poor people out of their cars to make rich people feel as if they are doing something is a bit like rubbing voltorol gel on a radiation burn.

floo

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »
And randomly pricing some poor people out of their cars to make rich people feel as if they are doing something is a bit like rubbing voltorol gel on a radiation burn.

That is a silly comment. ::)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »

Odd, I thought it was funny and apposite.

Although I am interested to know how NS came by the knowledge of the sensation Voltarol causes on a radiation burn.  :o
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:38:27 AM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »
so do you have anything to back up why pricing some people out of their cars is going to save the planet, and the poor dear dear children if those rich enough to drive and pollute?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:41:21 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
Odd, I thought it was funny and apposite.

Although I am interested to know how NS came by the knowledge of the sensation Voltarol causes on a radiation burn.  :o
Mod, and part time children's entertainer, and torture consultant to the stars.

Rhiannon

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »
Mod, and part time children's entertainer, and torture consultant to the stars.

:D

Rhiannon

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »

I've explained to you quite truthfully what will happen to me if I'm forced to give up my car. Do you think that is fair?

Rhiannon

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 10:57:09 AM »
It isn't doing anything at all. The 2040 date has been picked because (a) there is a vague hope that Elon Musk will have done electric magic by then, and (b) the current lot of politicians and civil servants will be in the Betty Grable Retirement Gulag for the Terminally Rich and Useless.

I'm assuming that car manufacturers will be designing in this basis. I think it's doing something - or getting others to do something. And as you say, those responsible won't be any longer by the time the shit hits.

Rhiannon

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
I'm assuming that car manufacturers will be designing in this basis. I think it's doing something - or getting others to do something. And as you say, those responsible won't be any longer by the time the shit hits.
I think rather it's taking advantage of the fact that car manufacturers are already doing something to make it look like a plan. The industry intention for a number of reasons is to move to electrics, not least as this will be easier when we all go driverless. This looks as if it's an action to back that up when rather it's a thing that can be said with no govt commitment.