Author Topic: Advance in gene editing in human embryos  (Read 1498 times)

floo

Re: Advance in gene editing in human embryos
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
In theory it seems a valuable breakthrough. However, I am concerned that further down the line designer babies could become a reality for all the wrong reasons.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »
In theory it seems a valuable breakthrough. However, I am concerned that further down the line designer babies could become a reality for all the wrong reasons.
so we should stop research that could alleviate suffering because you think at some point something bad might happen?

floo

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
so we should stop research that could alleviate suffering because you think at some point something bad might happen?

No of course not, but maybe looking into ways of eliminating a harmful gene at birth might be a preferable way of going about it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 11:40:43 AM »
No of course not, but maybe looking into ways of eliminating a harmful gene at birth might be a preferable way of going about it.
why do you think that would impact the possibility of 'designer babies'?

floo

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
why do you think that would impact the possibility of 'designer babies'?

Because if it was possible, and I am not saying it would ever be, to deal with a gene problem effectively at birth, then tinkering with embryos could be outlawed.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »
Because if it was possible, and I am not saying it would ever be, to deal with a gene problem effectively at birth, then tinkering with embryos could be outlawed.
and if you could deal with it at birth then (a) you would need to experiment on children and (b) you could then 'design' children after birth.

floo

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »
and if you could deal with it at birth then (a) you would need to experiment on children and (b) you could then 'design' children after birth.

Whatever.

Robbie

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 02:48:41 PM »
I share your fears floo. On paper it looks great, no-one wants a child to suffer,but am concerned it will it be taken too far. Third & fourth paras from first link sums up my fears.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest