Author Topic: Unwarranted political interference?  (Read 1411 times)

Shaker

Re: Unwarranted political interference?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
Justin Trudeau has done the same in Canada - I don't see the issue. The alternative is some sort of ban on an individual attending the event on the grounds of his office/profession. Can't see how that would fly, legally.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
Justin Trudeau has done the same in Canada - I don't see the issue. The alternative is some sort of ban on an individual attending the event on the grounds of his office/profession. Can't see how that would fly, legally.
Bit different surely this is about the Republic's 'PM' in NI?

Shaker

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:20:42 PM »
Bit different surely this is about the Republic's 'PM' in NI?
Again, I don't see the issue. For practical intents and purposes they're two separate political entities, surely.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 01:24:29 PM »
I'm not really sure what he thinks he'll achieve.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
Again, I don't see the issue. For practical intents and purposes they're two separate political entities, surely.
Which is why it might look like unwarranted interference in NI.

Shaker

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »
Even if it was interference, and even that interference was unwarranted, I assume the objection some people have is that it may bring in marriage equality in NI (already supported by a majority of the public) sooner? In which case ... so what?

floo

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
Even if it was interference, and even that interference was unwarranted, I assume the objection some people have is that it may bring in marriage equality in NI (already supported by a majority of the public) sooner? In which case ... so what?

Indeed, so what?

Robbie

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »
I'm enchanted by the photograph! They all look so attractive.

Caught this at the side of the page:-
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cathedral-same-sex-marriages-allow-uk-first-scotland-glasgow-st-marys-episcopalian-a7858851.html
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 11:35:00 PM »
You might argue that the prime minister of one country is interfering with the internal affairs of another.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Shaker

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 07:13:54 AM »
You might argue that the prime minister of one country is interfering with the internal affairs of another.

Simply by attending one small event which is part of a much wider series of events?

Some might try to make such an argument, at a stretch ... if we were talking about two different countries.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:18:10 AM by Shaker »

Owlswing

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »

Simply by attending one small event which is part of a much wider series of events?

Some might try to make such an argument, at a stretch ... if we were talking about two different countries.

Surely there would be a more accurate description of unewarranted interference if you had Angela Merkel attending a Remainer Rally?
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Robbie

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 03:51:07 PM »
 ;D  we'd all cheer her too!
I don't see it as unwarranted interference,good for him.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest