Author Topic: "False propaganda against homeopathy"!!!  (Read 3402 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
"False propaganda against homeopathy"!!!
« on: August 13, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »

floo

Re: "False propaganda against homeopathy"!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »
One of my daughters is into homeopathy in a big way, which does concern me!

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

is it the one who is an anglican priest?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Walter

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
You should stop her pocket money then! ;)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »
You should stop her pocket money then! ;)
She'll just mainline it from the tap

floo

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 02:39:01 PM »
She'll just mainline it from the tap

Ehhhhhhhhhh?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »
I still don't get it?
I was making a joke that if water as in homeopathy is a drug that someone was 'into' then cutting off their pocket money would stop them being able to access said drug of choice as you can just administer it directly from the tap.

As with all explanations of jokes, we have now killed it and it will go to the great exjoke book in the sky.

floo

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 03:12:59 PM »
I was making a joke that if water as in homeopathy is a drug that someone was 'into' then cutting off their pocket money would stop them being able to access said drug of choice as you can just administer it directly from the tap.

As with all explanations of jokes, we have now killed it and it will go to the great exjoke book in the sky.

My daughter is 43 and has teenage sons of her own, so doesn't get pocket money.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »
Oh dear. This isn't a sense of humour failure.

Humour has actually packed its bags and run off with the circus.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »
My daughter is 43 and has teenage sons of her own, so doesn't get pocket money.
John Thomson used to do an act called Bernard Righton (link below). It's a form of anti-humour. You could do an act called Floo Concretethinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFqv1QDI3Q

floo

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
John Thomson used to do an act called Bernard Righton (link below). It's a form of anti-humour. You could do an act called Floo Concretethinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFqv1QDI3Q

Whatever!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »
Whatever!
See! You're a natural at it. I think you would kill audiences (just to be clear that's a term about doing a really successful set, you wouldn't actually be committing mass murder at a comedy club)

floo

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »
See! You're a natural at it. I think you would kill audiences (just to be clear that's a term about doing a really successful set, you wouldn't actually be committing mass murder at a comedy club)

Have your bit of fun at my expense, whatever turns you on. ;D

Robbie

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 05:22:36 PM »
Homeopathic medicines are basically water floo. Hence the joke about 'mainlining' from the tap. Mainlining means injecting (heroin addicts mainline into their veins). It is believed that a tiny bit of something in water creates a 'memory' of it in the water, which then becomes medicinal.
There are more technical terems than I've used but that's basically it. I suppose ian example is iff we had smallpox a bit of smallpox diluted umpteen times in water would be medicinal (it is in a way because the vaccine comes from the disease but it isn't processed by putting in water).

Many people are into homeopathy, it's always sounded a bit far fetched and definitely unscientific to me but if it works & above all, does no harm,who's to complain. There are properly qualified medical doctors who practice it. I've never used it.

(Bet you do give your daughter pocket money sometimes, my mum regularly gave me a few quid when I was 43 to treat myself! Probably still would if she felt I needed it but my adult kids get it now& I 'treat' them too.)
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »
Homeopathic medicines are basically water floo. Hence the joke about 'mainlining' from the tap. Mainlining means injecting (heroin addicts mainline into their veins). It is believed that a tiny bit of something in water creates a 'memory' of it in the water, which then becomes medicinal.
There are more technical terems than I've used but that's basically it. I suppose ian example is iff we had smallpox a bit of smallpox diluted umpteen times in water would be medicinal (it is in a way because the vaccine comes from the disease but it isn't processed by putting in water).

Many people are into homeopathy, it's always sounded a bit far fetched and definitely unscientific to me but if it works & above all, does no harm,who's to complain. There are properly qualified medical doctors who practice it. I've never used it.

(Bet you do give your daughter pocket money sometimes, my mum regularly gave me a few quid when I was 43 to treat myself! Probably still would if she felt I needed it but my adult kids get it now& I 'treat' them too.)
It doesn't work and it does harm

http://www.1023.org.uk/whats-the-harm-in-homeopathy.php
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:28:58 PM by Nearly Sane »

floo

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 05:33:33 PM »
It doesn't work and it does harm

http://www.1023.org.uk/whats-the-harm-in-homeopathy.php

Exactly. My daughter is using it instead of approved medicines. I have told her what I think, but she is of the opinion homeopathy is doing her good.

Shaker

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
It doesn't work and it does harm.
... hence Dara O'Briain's quip: "People say 'Oh, homeopathy might not work but it can't do any harm if you overdose on it'. Well, you can fucking drown, for one thing".
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
... hence Dara O'Briain's quip: "People say 'Oh, homeopathy might not work but it can't do any harm if you overdose on it'. Well, you can fucking drown, for one thing".
Dara is like my mild mannered alter ego on this. Snake oil kills. Wibbling out some nonsense pish about how if it makes someone feel better while not understanding anything about placebos is being complicit to murdering people because they are stupid, and you are either stupid as well or profiting off their deaths.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:48:18 PM by Nearly Sane »

Robbie

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »
Exactly. My daughter is using it instead of approved medicines. I have told her what I think, but she is of the opinion homeopathy is doing her good.

That link NS provided is a scary one. I wouldn't touch it with barge pole. What is so bad is that practitioners frequently don't even take a medical history! I don't know what to make of medical doctors who practice it.

I've heard of people using homeopathy for eczema and asthma but those are conditions that frequently remit or even disappear anyway.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

floo

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »
My daughter's asthma is worse if anything!

Walter

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 02:28:27 PM »
That link NS provided is a scary one. I wouldn't touch it with barge pole. What is so bad is that practitioners frequently don't even take a medical history! I don't know what to make of medical doctors who practice it.

I've heard of people using homeopathy for eczema and asthma but those are conditions that frequently remit or even disappear anyway.
doctors prescribe it as a useful tool to get rid of problem patients who have nothing wrong with em !

Walter

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »
she should drink water while standing on her head .
Whilst wearing a skirt of course . It's in the rules , honest .

Rhiannon

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 08:11:28 PM »

Has she been allergy tested?