Author Topic: Why alternative medicine kills  (Read 6505 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Rhiannon

Re: Why alternative medicine kills
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
I was talking to an acquaintance of mine about her episode of breast cancer, which she firmly believes was caused by HRT. Someone offered her a homeopathic route which she declined, saying that she wanted to live. She had chemo.

But I know that others who have felt that their cancers have been caused by chemical exposure of one kind it another - some genuinely are - have opted against more chemicals. It's not necessarily logical or fair or right.

As ever, I'm aware that there is a complementary aspect of treatment out there that should never ever take the place of medical treatment, but that can nevertheless help and support (and no, I don't mean homeopathy).  Just as an example, another acquaintance used a dietary plan during her chemo as she felt it gave her some kind of control at a time when everything else was totally uncertain. I get that.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »
I was talking to an acquaintance of mine about her episode of breast cancer, which she firmly believes was caused by HRT. Someone offered her a homeopathic route which she declined, saying that she wanted to live. She had chemo.

But I know that others who have felt that their cancers have been caused by chemical exposure of one kind it another - some genuinely are - have opted against more chemicals. It's not necessarily logical or fair or right.

As ever, I'm aware that there is a complementary aspect of treatment out there that should never ever take the place of medical treatment, but that can nevertheless help and support (and no, I don't mean homeopathy).  Just as an example, another acquaintance used a dietary plan during her chemo as she felt it gave her some kind of control at a time when everything else was totally uncertain. I get that.

Alternative medicine that works is, altogether now, medicine. Those pushing the snake oil aspect of this are happy to sneak in the move from 'complementary' (which is a dubious term itself) to 'alternative'. Oh and that cancer is cauzecy or treated by chemicals  so both are just the same, which yourpist isn't clear in dealing with, is the type of dangerous mistake that kills people. At the level we are dealing with it's all chemicals.

Walter

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »

the whole planet and everything on it is made of chemicals, why is this so hard for people to understand?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
the whole planet and everything on it is made of chemicals, why is this so hard for people to understand?
What are chemicals made of?  :-\
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walter

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 10:17:47 PM »
What are chemicals made of?  :-\
elements!

Walter

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 10:32:42 PM »
elements!
then it's just turtles all the way down my friend 😳

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 06:23:27 AM »

Something relevant to this topic from today's CNN news......

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/24/health/cinnamon-health-benefits/index.html

Harvested from the inner bark of a tropical evergreen plant, cinnamon has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat respiratory and digestive problems for centuries.

But it's cinnamon's use as a medicinal agent that has scientists buzzing, trying to determine just how well its antioxidant capabilities might work to better our health.

"Medicine started as herbs and plants," said Lauri Wright, a spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. "So it almost comes full circle, as we're now going back and proving what some of these plant substances may do for health."

"I think the strongest evidence lies so far with diabetes and the promise of cinnamon and blood sugar control," Wright said, pointing to studies in test tubes and mice and even small studies in people showing that cinnamon helps with insulin sensitivity and glucose transport while decreasing inflammation.

"A lot of the studies have been in postmenopausal women and men of that age," said biochemist Amy Stockert, who studies cinnamon at Raabe College of Pharmacy at Ohio Northern University. "Some have found positive effects; other studies have not."

The antioxidant properties of cinnamon are also being studied for their impact on the formation of the plaques and tangles of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. Cinnamaldehyde, a compound responsible for the spice's sweet smell, and epicatechin, a powerful antioxidant that's also in blueberries, red wine and chocolate, seem to offer some protection against the oxidative stress that damages tau, a key player in the development of dementia.

Using a computer model, biochemist Stockert found that cinnamon was as effective as resveratrol, an antioxidant in red wine known for anti-aging and disease-fighting properties, in activating SIRT-1 -- also known as the longevity gene because of its role in repairing DNA.

"In some cases, it did better than resveratrol," Stockert said. "We're talking anti-cancer, anti-aging, a very, very big deal if that is what is going on."

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:54:19 PM »
Hi Sriram

Yes, the use of herbs, spices and vitamins all from natural sources is another reason, for me, to see signs of intelligent design. If you speak to a herbalist they will show you natural cures for many ailments. The other day I was reading about vitamin B!7 which can be found in certain grasses and is useful in combating cancer.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 05:25:39 PM »
Hi Sriram

Yes, the use of herbs, spices and vitamins all from natural sources is another reason, for me, to see signs of intelligent design. If you speak to a herbalist they will show you natural cures for many ailments. The other day I was reading about vitamin B!7 which can be found in certain grasses and is useful in combating cancer.

Hi SweetPea.

Most people seem to have no clue as to what 'Alternative medicine' is.

Medical systems like Ayurveda for example, were developed nearly 3000 years ago with herbal cures for most diseases. Even surgeries were done.  As the above article states, things will slowly move full circle such that more and more herbal cures will be identified based on ancient medical systems (using modern technology). 

Its after all, about evolution of hybrid systems through such interactions of different systems.  The usual slotting something as 'right' and something else as 'wrong' is clearly ridiculous. 

About ID....yes.  Wild animals for example seem to be able to identify and imbibe medicines during different illnesses, that are not a part of their normal diet.  They seem to have an innate ability to self medicate. So, there is obviously some kind of intelligence built into Nature. Check out Zoopharmacognosy.

Cheers.

Sriram

Maeght

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
Hi Sriram

Why does that indicate ID?

SweetPea

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »
Why does that indicate ID?

Design in the sense that some plants have a purpose, a use, i.e. properties for healing.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
Design in the sense that some plants have a purpose, a use, i.e. properties for healing.
so your god designed poisonous plants because?

SweetPea

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »
so your god designed poisonous plants because?

Good question..... I've no idea, Nearly. Guess there must be a reason.

Shaker

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »
Must there?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 11:09:41 AM »
And the rectal cancer that was mentioned earlier? This is why your position is illogical. There is no way you can falsify it because anything that is contradictory to your claim is ignored because it's a vacuous position. By the way do you worship your god?

SweetPea

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 11:16:46 AM »
And the rectal cancer that was mentioned earlier? This is why your position is illogical. There is no way you can falsify it because anything that is contradictory to your claim is ignored because it's a vacuous position. By the way do you worship your god?

Yes, it is difficult to understand and some do have explanations but I don't claim to have answers. No, I do not 'worship' God as such.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
Yes, it is difficult to understand and some do have explanations but I don't claim to have answers. No, I do not 'worship' God as such.
Given that your position is illogical as you have accepted here  your claim to see design is worthless.

SweetPea

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
Ok. But I still do see design.

Re DNA mentioned on another thread..... how is that not design?

Maeght

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »

Why would an intelligent designer leave it to chance that someone might happen to eat a medicinal plant? You refer to b7. This doesn't exist in plants but may be present on plants due to bacteria which can synthesise it. Why wouldn't an intelligent designer design humans able to synthesise b7 themselves?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »

Yes, but since your position is illogical what you 'see' is worthless. You have to show design and since your take is effectively everything is designed then it's not an argument simply an assertion based on a position you have taken that cannot be falsified and is illogical.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:29:56 AM by Nearly Sane »

Maeght

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »

Do some research into the science sweetpea then you might avoid this type of personal incredulity post.

Shaker

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »
Why would an intelligent designer leave it to chance that someone might happen to eat a medicinal plant? You refer to b7. This doesn't exist in plants but may be present on plants due to bacteria which can synthesise it. Why wouldn't an intelligent designer design humans able to synthesise b7 themselves?

"It has long been considered that all animals with the exceptions of guinea pigs, monkeys, and humans can produce their own vitamin C. Scientist have extensively studied the human genome and identified the defective gene for the synthesis of the active enzyme protein, L-gulonolactone oxidase [...]"

So humans have a defective gene which means that, unlike almost all other animals, we can't synthesize vitamin C.

Do tell us more about this intelligent design, Sweet Pea..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:47:01 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »
"It has long been considered that all animals with the exceptions of guinea pigs, monkeys, and humans can produce their own vitamin C. Scientist have extensively studied the human genome and identified the defective gene for the synthesis of the active enzyme protein, L-gulonolactone oxidase [...]"

So humans have a defective gene which means that, unlike almost all other animals, we can't synthesize vitamin C.

Do tell us more about this intelligent design, Sweet Pea..

God made it that way in order to keep Tropicana in business.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »

More than likely a result of the "fall".
You are not really thinking this through, are you?  ::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein