Author Topic: Squaring reification with the physicality of information.  (Read 2177 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Squaring reification with the physicality of information.
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Can someone who believes that all information is physical justifiably and legitimately accuse anybody of reification?

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Squaring reification with the physicality of information.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 05:08:07 PM »
Vlad,

Can someone who believes that all information is physical justifiably and legitimately accuse anybody of reification?

Yes.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:57:22 PM »
I believe that they can.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 03:51:03 AM »
Information, however you define it, is not physical. It is an emergent property of matter, but it is not material itself. DNA, for example, contains information, encoded in it, but it is not itself information.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 08:49:19 AM »
I believe that they can.
Then you need to demonstrate how the unreal information you claim is being reified is also real at the same time.Good luck with that.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:00:08 AM »
Information, however you define it, is not physical. It is an emergent property of matter, but it is not material itself. DNA, for example, contains information, encoded in it, but it is not itself information.
Yes. I think one has a problem as a reductionist and physicalist wanting everything physical and atomistic and emergent at the same time.

One ends up claiming both the physical reality of everything and the unreality suggested in a concept of reification.

In that position one wants ammunition such as reification but one also suggests that there is nothing beyond the physical.

One is left with the duty of explaining where the unreality is and what its spatial and temporal properties are.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:02:42 AM by Questions to Christians »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
Then you need to demonstrate how the unreal information you claim is being reified is also real at the same time.Good luck with that.
I never said that I was going to do it!   ::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:48:33 AM »
I never said that I was going to do it!   ::)
Sad, We will never know if you could.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
SteveH,

It's more nuanced than that. Current thinking is that "the universe" is effectively a quantum computer - thus, the "material" is itself bits of information. Try here for example for an overview:

http://www.informationr.net/ir/18-3/colis/paperC03.html#.WZa4qq3MzuR

I can also recommend Vlatko Vedral's book "Decoding the Universe" if the subject interests you.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:01:04 AM by bluehillside »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »
Vlad the Irrationalist,

Yes. I think one has a problem as a reductionist and physicalist wanting everything physical and atomistic and emergent at the same time.

One ends up claiming both the physical reality of everything and the unreality suggested in a concept of reification.

In that position one wants ammunition such as reification but one also suggests that there is nothing beyond the physical.

One is left with the duty of explaining where the unreality is and what its spatial and temporal properties are.

Can I suggest that if you tried to find out something about the subject that might help prevent you from committing so many howlers in future?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
Vlad the Irrationalist,

Can I suggest that if you tried to find out something about the subject that might help prevent you from committing so many howlers in future?
Its a free country. You can suggest anything that spuriously pops into your head so I see no change here.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
Vlad the Irrationalist,

Its a free country. You can suggest anything that spuriously pops into your head so I see no change here.

Like you do with "God" you mean?

Oh, and there's nothing "spurious" about suggesting that you might want to be a bit less ignorant about the subjects you presume to criticise. If anything, it might do you a favour.

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
Vlad the Irrationalist,

Like you do with "God" you mean?

Oh, and there's nothing "spurious" about suggesting that you might want to be a bit less ignorant about the subjects you presume to criticise. If anything, it might do you a favour.
I'm asking questions Hillside. Refusing to answer them on the grounds that the questioner doesn't know the answer is somewhat suspect isn't it.

Reification might be a valid accusation. Information might be physical i.e. real.
What I am asking you is how do you square a belief that information is physical(real) with reviving the notion of unreal(non physical) information which is necessary for any accusation of reification?

I'm afraid this thread is now a record of you shuffling around having to answer...............Good job for you that most folks who bother with this forum are of your ilk eh?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:04:11 PM by Questions to Christians »