Author Topic: The Professor and the Infidel  (Read 1397 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: The Professor and the Infidel
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
Alias Smith and Hume

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-scotsmen-who-invented-modernity-21940
An early example of the link between antitheism and capitalism.

I think it would be interesting to trace the parallel rise of Dawkinism and Thatcherism.

Shaker

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »

I think it would be interesting to trace the parallel rise of Dawkinism and Thatcherism.
You might well, but I doubt if anybody else would (a) since they have lives to lead and (b) you were wittering on about this exact same shit seven months ago: http://tinyurl.com/yd6ra8on
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 06:48:07 PM »

strangely enough both you and Thatcher, another Christian, show(ed) little understanding of Adam Smith.

Shaker

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »
strangely enough both you and Thatcher, another [Shaker: alleged, self-declared] Christian, show(ed) little understanding of Adam Smith.
There we go.

Just as Vlad shows little understanding of Hume, Smith ("antitheists"? Really?) or indeed anything much. (q.v. Stalin; secularism; Richard Dawkins etc. ad infinitum).
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.