Author Topic: Advice to icontinent fallacy accusers  (Read 17039 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Advice to icontinent fallacy accusers
« on: August 20, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »
The NPF is where something MUST be BECAUSE it cannot be proved otherwise.

You seem to be missing the words MUST and BECAUSE to suit, guys........................TUT, TUT.

Shaker

Re: Advice to icontinent fallacy accusers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
Icontinent?

I had a week in Marbella once if that helps, Vlad?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »
Icontinent?

Two weeks would have been better for all concerned.

floo

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »

You seem to be missing the words MUST and BECAUSE to suit, guys........................TUT, TUT.

Another liquid lunch, Vlad?

BeRational

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »

That's not what the NPF  is.

It is where you argue that X is true with weak arguments, then challenge others to refute X.
The onus is on the person claiming X is true, to make the case, not others to show that X is not true.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Rhiannon

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
Icontinent? Apple are getting in on anything now.

wigginhall

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 04:24:50 PM »
They'll be selling iknickers next, to deal with icontinence. 
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 04:29:46 PM »

Wrong.

floo

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »

;D

Owlswing

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 05:20:31 PM »

Does Vlad suffer from verbal/written Icontinence?
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

SusanDoris

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 05:40:36 PM »
Icontinent?

:D As soon as I heard Synthetic Dave read that, I wondered  hopelessly of course - if I could think of something witty to say!!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SusanDoris

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 05:45:38 PM »

:D Thank you for the laugh! Especially as until a few minutes ago, I had been unable to get on this forum because it was 'This page can't be displayed' all day.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »

It is where you argue that X is true with weak arguments, then challenge others to refute X.
The onus is on the person claiming X is true, to make the case, not others to show that X is not true.
What has the above statement got to do with ''No proof''?
A claim of x means inexorably also means a claim a supposed status quo perceived by others isn't true. The problem, for you is, In the God debate the status quo of the others is not the default. The agnostic position is more of the default.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 06:22:01 PM »
Wrong.
What's right then or are you down to just typing it down?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 06:27:07 PM »
What's right then or are you down to just typing it down?

Do your own homework.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »
Do your own homework.
I took a steer from Shaker not being able to find NPF even on an acronym site.

If NPF is negative or no proof fallacy Be Rational's understanding does not encompass negative or no proof and since you have not corrected his understanding I take it you share it.

Even under that definition you have an incorrect understanding where Burden of proof lies.
In the God debate people like yourself claim immunity from having to prove on the basis that you hold the default position. You don't since your position cannot establish itself as the default except arbitrarily.

You need to explain why your position deserves the title of default? Oh, that would involve a statement on what you think the default position actually is.

I shall let your dilemma sink in.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »
I took a steer from Shaker not being able to find NPF even on an acronym site.

Possibly because, as I recall, you said you looked for the 'no proof fallacy'. Given the NPF has a second home here I'm surprised you weren't familiar with it.

If NPF is negative or no proof fallacy Be Rational's understanding does not encompass negative or no proof and since you have not corrected his understanding I take it you share it.

As I recall BR also called you out on your use of the NPF: so don't be silly, and perhaps you should read up on it before proceeding further.

Even under that definition you have an incorrect understanding where Burden of proof lies.

The misunderstanding is all yours - I'd suggest you stop digging (and start reading).

In the God debate people like yourself claim immunity from having to prove on the basis that you hold the default position. You don't since your position cannot establish itself as the default except arbitrarily.

Smashing - except I'm not claiming anything: I'm just pointing out that; a) you use fallacies, and b) you still don't understand the implications of the NPF.

As I said earlier, you need to do some homework.

You need to explain why your position deserves the title of default? Oh, that would involve a statement on what you think the default position actually is.

What position? In this I'm just pointing out your use of the NPF (and I haven't got sucked into your attempts to digress).

I shall let your dilemma sink in.

I don't have one: the dilemma is all yours - do you read up on fallacies or continue to look ill-informed.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 07:24:53 PM »
Possibly because, as I recall, you said you looked for the 'no proof fallacy'. Given the NPF has a second home here I'm surprised you weren't familiar with it.

As I recall BR also called you out on your use of the NPF: so don't be silly, and perhaps you should read up on it before proceeding further.

The misunderstanding is all yours - I'd suggest you stop digging (and start reading).

Smashing - except I'm not claiming anything: I'm just pointing out that; a) you use fallacies, and b) you still don't understand the implications of the NPF.

As I said earlier, you need to do some homework.

What position? In this I'm just pointing out your use of the NPF (and I haven't got sucked into your attempts to digress).

I don't have one: the dilemma is all yours - do you read up on fallacies or continue to look ill-informed.
Is NPF Argument from ignorance Gordon?.....if so I recommend you read the Wikipedia entry. Not Rationalwiki. That's where I suspect many get their pimped up, cut and shut definitions from.

If you can't say what NPF is what chance are you going to have explaining what the default position that has no burden of proof in the God debate is.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
Is NPF Argument from ignorance Gordon?.....if so I recommend you read the Wikipedia entry. Not Rationalwiki. That's where I suspect many get their pimped up, cut and shut definitions from.

If you can't say what NPF is what chance are you going to have explaining what the default position that has no burden of proof in the God debate is.

Nice try, Vlad (I'll pass on the straw) - I'm not the one with the educational deficiency regarding fallacies: I suggest you get reading old chap.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »

Quote from: Questions to Christians
Quote from: BeRational

Some points:

1. ‘weak arguments’ is subjective. As such, it allows the person claiming this to dismiss what is being said, without never having to give justification for their own position (the claim that the argument is ‘weak’). Such a stance can always be disarmed by using properties of truth.

2. I don’t think that anyone would disagree with your last statement  in theory. Unfortunately what happens here in practice is not consistent with this. If one is using arguments to support X, then there is nothing wrong in interrogating counter-arguments to ensure that they are valid or applied correctly, particularly when they call into question the arguments for X. This is what some posters do, and it leads to an incorrect accusation against them of using the NPF. It is not done as an indirect way to try and claim that X is true.
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

BeRational

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »
Some points:

1. ‘weak arguments’ is subjective. As such, it allows the person claiming this to dismiss what is being said, without never having to give justification for their own position (the claim that the argument is ‘weak’). Such a stance can always be disarmed by using properties of truth.

2. I don’t think that anyone would disagree with your last statement  in theory. Unfortunately what happens here in practice is not consistent with this. If one is using arguments to support X, then there is nothing wrong in interrogating counter-arguments to ensure that they are valid or applied correctly, particularly when they call into question the arguments for X. This is what some posters do, and it leads to an incorrect accusation against them of using the NPF. It is not done as an indirect way to try and claim that X is true.

By weak I mean it has to be rebutted to show that there may be other explanations or perhaps
The argument contains fallacies,in which case it needs to  be reworked.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 10:07:44 PM »
By weak I mean it has to be rebutted to show that there may be other explanations or perhaps
The argument contains fallacies,in which case it needs to  be reworked.
I feel that gussying up alternatives into having disproved counter proposals needs to be watched for.

BeRational

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 10:12:16 PM »
I feel that gussying up alternatives into having disproved counter proposals needs to be watched for.

The argument stands or falls on its merits.if the argument is sound then the conclusion is sound.

An argument that says humans look designed,therefore god, is not sound.
It would have to be demonstrated that humans are in fact designed.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 10:25:39 PM »
The argument stands or falls on its merits.if the argument is sound then the conclusion is sound.

An argument that says humans look designed,therefore god, is not sound.
It would have to be demonstrated that humans are in fact designed.
Of course.....and in this brave new world of simulated universe theory who's to say it was God and not some alien sub contractor who did the job.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »

Can you stop using acronyms please - what is NPF - I presume F is fallacy, but N and P?