Author Topic: Advice to icontinent fallacy accusers  (Read 17017 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Advice to icontinent fallacy accusers
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
Sword,

So despite it being obviously clear that Vlad is not using the NPF, bluehillside still wants to accuse him of it via some back door. It’s a convenient way to dismiss what Vlad has said, whilst never having to back up the basis for his own reasoning.

Wrong again. How is it clear that he isn't using the NPF when he says things like, "you can't disprove it either"? That he says he isn't using it and that he's not actually at least attempting it are not the same thing.

And, as Wiggs explained, terms like "argument from incredulity", "NPF" etc are merely a convenient shorthand way of identifying flaws in arguments. If someone says in reply, "why is a...fallacy" then it can be explained to him at greater length.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Advice to incontinent fallacy accusers
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
Muddled thinking - we might reason (correctly) that our brains are made of atoms, we might (falsely) reason that our brains are made of atom-free space gunk. It isn't the reasoning that is instrumental in concluding that our brains are made of atoms - it is the objective evidence.

And how do we evaluate the objective evidence?
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2017, 06:49:10 AM »
Sword,

Wrong again. How is it clear that he isn't using the NPF when he says things like, "you can't disprove it either"? That he says he isn't using it and that he's not actually at least attempting it are not the same thing.

And, as Wiggs explained, terms like "argument from incredulity", "NPF" etc are merely a convenient shorthand way of identifying flaws in arguments. If someone says in reply, "why is a...fallacy" then it can be explained to him at greater length.
I stated earlier that I'd only seen one possible NPF around those parts and that was from an atheist.
Where were the fallacy hunters when the declaration of non existence due to no proof was made then?

Obviously working on new pseudofallacies such as "attempted fallacy" or my favourite "knocking on the door of NPF".

Shaker

« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2017, 07:22:39 AM »
Where were the fallacy hunters when the declaration of non existence due to no proof was made then?
Round these here parts fallacies don't exactly need to be hunted; like dodos, they're just there, wandering around.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2017, 07:30:39 AM »
I stated earlier that I'd only seen one possible NPF around those parts and that was from an atheist.

Then you need to try opening your eyes next time.

By whom and where?

Obviously working on new pseudofallacies such as "attempted fallacy" or my favourite "knocking on the door of NPF".

No need, since the common or garden ones get such a regular work-out here (such as your army of straw men).

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2017, 08:20:41 AM »
Then you need to try opening your eyes next time.

By whom and where?

Amnesia, Gordon?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2017, 09:06:18 AM »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2017, 10:03:20 AM »
Vlad the Distractionist,

So (yet again), what point did you think you were making when you said, "...but you can't disprove it either"?

Why so coy?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »
Vlad the Distractionist,

So (yet again), what point did you think you were making when you said, "...but you can't disprove it either"?

Why so coy?
Hillside I thought we had agreed that ''you can't disprove it either ' is not the full NPF and therefore not an NPF at all and also that 'knocking on the door of an NPF is mere speculative punt.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »
Vlad the Fantasist,

Hillside I thought we had agreed that ''you can't disprove it either ' is not the full NPF and therefore not an NPF at all and also that 'knocking on the door of an NPF is mere speculative punt.

When did we agree that? "You can't disprove it either" is not "the full NPF" only because you left off the "therefore..." to follow. That is, it's not the full NPF in the sense that a car with the wheels missing isn't a full car. Your "therefore" here is a non sequitur (proper meaning, not your misuse of the term).

Of course, if you did have an argument to show that it wasn't an attempted NPF all you'd have to do would be finally to answer the question I keep asking you and you keep ignoring: what did you think meant by it?

Look, I'll even put it capitals and a bigger font now so you can't pretend not to have seen it:

WHAT DID YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAID, "BUT YOU CAN'T DISPROVE IT EITHER"?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2017, 01:05:30 PM »
Vlad the Fantasist,

When did we agree that? "You can't disprove it either" is not "the full NPF" only because you left off the "therefore..." to follow. That is, it's not the full NPF in the sense that a car with the wheels missing isn't a full car. Your "therefore" here is a non sequitur (proper meaning, not your misuse of the term).

Of course, if you did have an argument to show that it wasn't an attempted NPF all you'd have to do would be finally to answer the question I keep asking you and you keep ignoring: what did you think meant by it?

Look, I'll even put it capitals and a bigger font now so you can't pretend not to have seen it:

WHAT DID YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAID, "BUT YOU CAN'T DISPROVE IT EITHER"?

It is a statement of fact, you can't! what it means is I can't prove God and you cannot disprove God. Nothing controversial there. Are you still hoping that people will still think that inability to prove God means God is disproved?
That is a fallacy.

What we do seem to have is people who, being in that position assume atheism or assume atheism because ofthat...or act as though God does not exist.

What warrant do they have for that kind of commitment?

As for the not NPF equals an NPF with bit's missing, I'm afraid a miss is as good as a mile and that just isn't true an NPF with bit's missing is not an NPF. A car with the wheels off is a car. There is nothing missing from the statements made, the are not incomplete NPF and even if there were you could not say whether it were wings or wheels which were missing from your car.

Enki

« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
It is a statement of fact, you can't! what it means is I can't prove God and you cannot disprove God. Nothing controversial there. Are you still hoping that people will still think that inability to prove God means God is disproved?
That is a fallacy.

What we do seem to have is people who, being in that position assume atheism or assume atheism because ofthat...or act as though God does not exist.

As for the not NPF equals an NPF with bit's missing, I'm afraid a miss is as good as a mile and that just isn't true an NPF with bit's missing is not an NPF. A car with the wheels off is a car. There is nothing missing from the statements made, the are not incomplete NPF and even if there were you could not say whether it were wings or wheels which were missing from your car.

In my case it's simply a total absence of commitment.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2017, 01:42:54 PM »
.....act as though God does not exist.
Do people do that?
How do they manage to live?
It must be really difficult.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »
Vlad the Irrationalist,

It is a statement of fact, you can't! what it means is I can't prove God and you cannot disprove God. Nothing controversial there.

Yes, and if I was asserting “true for you too” leprechauns”, you challenged me on the claim, and I replied, “You can’t disprove them either though” presumably you’d infer that I was trying to make a point of some kind wouldn’t you?

I merely ask what point you thought you were making if not for an incomplete NPF. If your answer is, “I refuse to answer that” then just say so instead of indulging in all the diversionary stuff.

Are you still hoping that people will still think that inability to prove God means God is disproved?

That is a fallacy.

So is a straw man Why bother with the lie?

The “warrant” as you put it is that neither you nor anyone else so far as atheists are aware have managed a cogent reason to think there are gods, and it requires no more “commitment” to live accordingly than you require a commitment to live on the assumption that there are no leprechauns.

Why is this difficult for you to grasp?

Stop lying. The bit missing – and still missing – is the explanation for what you intended when you wrote, “but you can’t disprove it either”.  If you want to keep it a secret that’s up to you, but you must expect to be judged accordingly.

God