Author Topic: Rejoice and celebrate!!!  (Read 3432 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Rejoice and celebrate!!!
« on: August 22, 2017, 06:45:48 AM »
Case for heterosexual civil partnerships to go before Supreme Court.

Source:BBC news.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Rejoice and celebrate!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 07:01:17 AM »

See here. I hope it is successful but doubt it will be similar to the case in that tried to get gay marriage recognised in Northern Ireland, I suspect the judgeswill be loathe to effectively extend legislation in this way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41004378

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 07:28:34 AM »

Good news - I hope it is successful.

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:06:26 AM »
I understand that some hetero people want to enter a civil partnership and not marry, but I'm not sure why. Could someone lay out the more common reasons for me ?

Ta lots
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:08:39 AM »
I understand that some hetero people want to enter a civil partnership and not marry, but I'm not sure why. Could someone lay out the more common reasons for me ?

Ta lots
Never mind. Googled it:

Legal and financial protection for both parties in the event of the relationship ending
It is free of the religious connotations of marriage
Some object to marriage as an institution and its associations with property and patriarchy
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

floo

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 09:13:21 AM »

So do I.

Rhiannon

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Heterosexual civil partnerships are legal on the IoM. They are popular with English couples.

I hope the law changes. If I were ever faced with the choice I'd opt for a CP over marriage any day.

Shaker

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 09:16:30 AM »
Never mind. Googled it:

Legal and financial protection for both parties in the event of the relationship ending
It is free of the religious connotations of marriage
Some object to marriage as an institution and its associations with property and patriarchy
The article says that some couples want to avoid the religious connotations of marriage, but in civil marriage (now accounting for at least two thirds of all marriages in the UK) there aren't any, by law. So I don't quite get that argument.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »
The article says that some couples want to avoid the religious connotations of marriage, but in civil marriage (now accounting for at least two thirds of all marriages in the UK) there aren't any, by law. So I don't quite get that argument.

I expect some couples face pressure to marry from religious family members. Otherwise, neither do I. Perhaps it's the vows or something?

Shaker

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
I expect some couples face pressure to marry from religious family members. Otherwise, neither do I. Perhaps it's the vows or something?
Is there a prepared script you have to follow? Can't you write your own?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Is there a prepared script you have to follow? Can't you write your own?

Registry offices have a script. But vows are vows and taken in front of witnesses may feel a bit 'religious'. Maybe that has something to do with it? Dunno.

I like the idea of making promises on a hill top, letting the wind take them where they will. Not much help with pension and property rights though.

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
Registry offices have a script. But vows are vows and taken in front of witnesses may feel a bit 'religious'. Maybe that has something to do with it? Dunno.

I like the idea of making promises on a hill top, letting the wind take them where they will. Not much help with pension and property rights though.
Not in England and Wales at any rate.

Rhiannon

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »
I once talked to a woman on a MB who lost her husband very suddenly on holiday in Portugal. She was told that had they not been married the authorities there would have insisted on dealing with his parents. No idea if that's law or tradition but there we are.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 07:21:07 AM »
Some on this thread seem to be suggesting that straights should just be happy with civil marriage.
Enemies of equality?

Shaker

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »
Some on this thread seem to be suggesting that straights should just be happy with civil marriage.
Who and where?

Rhiannon

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »
Enemies of equality?

You have an impressively vivid imagination.

floo

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »
Enemies of equality?

What are you talking about?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 08:49:23 AM »
What are you talking about?

He doesn't know.

Despite being told repeatedly by most posters on here that they agree with the idea of CP's for heterosexuals he still bangs on to try to prove it is some militant, secularist antitheist plot.

When it reality it is simply that the government can't be arsed to do anything about this as they don't see it as a priority.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
It doesn't matter why any couple should want a particular kind of legal partnership; if it is available for some, it must be available to all.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Enki

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »

Agreed.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Sassy

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 01:57:18 AM »

Blooming ridiculous.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

floo

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »

Owlswing

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »

Why?

Come pn, Floo! You know why!

Because the Bible says you have to be married by a religious service in the face of God or you are living in mortal sin and if you think your mother-in-law is bad, wait 'til you get to Hell and find out what God has in store for your sinful arse.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

floo

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »
Come pn, Floo! You know why!

Because the Bible says you have to be married by a religious service in the face of God or you are living in mortal sin and if you think your mother-in-law is bad, wait 'til you get to Hell and find out what God has in store for your sinful arse.

God didn't marry Mary it got her up the duff, when she was engaged to Joseph!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »
God didn't marry Mary it got her up the duff, when she was engaged to Joseph!

Oh such refinement in your posting  ;)
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.