Author Topic: Long hair on boys - do girls with short hair have to grow theirs . . . ???  (Read 9175 times)

Owlswing

I was considsering putting this on tyhe General Discussion Topic, but then I decided it was, in view of the matter happening over the Oggin, it was closer to politics . . . 

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/mum-furious-4-year-old-son-sent-home-long-hair-075558912.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:20:14 AM by Owlswing »
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Harrowby Hall

I did post a message and then realised that the incident has not taken place in the United Kingdom. I therefore removed it.

Is this in this section because of the strange values of right-wing politicians in the USA?

Were this to happen in the UK it would possibly fall foul of the Equalities Act 2010.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:15:20 PM by Harrowby Hall »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

SusanDoris

Logically of course, he is just as capable of learning with hair long or short, and the specification of where a boy's hair should not be lower than is daft, but in the end I think the mother has an unhelpful attitude and a rather silly one.  As for putting it on social media, well, that is seeking celebrity for the wrong reasons, and puts her son in an awkward position.

I wonder if the school has any Sikh boys there and whether they allow turbans? This of course brings in the subject of daft ideas about why hair or clothing will please or displease some mythical god.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Rhiannon

Doesn't the article say his hair is how his mother likes it? Is it also his choice?

That aside, long hair is not an issue for learning it play - just tie it up. My son has taken the decision to grow his hair recently. His hair, his choice. I think he's hoping he'll end up looking like Roman Reigns.

Robbie

Logically of course, he is just as capable of learning with hair long or short, and the specification of where a boy's hair should not be lower than is daft, but in the end I think the mother has an unhelpful attitude and a rather silly one.  As for putting it on social media, well, that is seeking celebrity for the wrong reasons, and puts her son in an awkward position.

Quite agree.
I'm incensed that hair length is an issue anywhere in this day and age. As long as it's kept out of the way, ie tied back, what difference does it make?

[\quote]I wonder if the school has any Sikh boys there and whether they allow turbans? This of course brings in the subject of daft ideas about why hair or clothing will please or displease some mythical god.

Rhiannon, good for your son (I don't know Roman Reigns but will google)! One of my nephews was forever in trouble for long hair -not great trouble but suggestions were made that he should cut it & my sis received one or two notes from school to that effect. He carried on regardless, he was well bhaved.  What is funny is that since being an art student he's cut it, says it's easier to handle short. Whilst that's true I believe the fact that he receives no hassle about hair length means it is not an issue for him so why not?
[/quote]
More and more young, or younger, Sikhs no longer grow their hair or wear turban.Their parents and older relatives do but not them or their kids.
If 'a people' have been persecuted at some time you often find they will stick together & that includes traditional clothing and, in this case, hair, so they preserve their identity. It's important to them and they will say they survived because they stayed together,presenting a united front. Even the Quakers did that at one time. Certainly some Orthodox Jewish sects have always done it and continue to do so.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

SusanDoris

In the article it said that he had not asked for his hair to be cut. So, as children do not know what to ask for,  I think that  the suggestion and ideas about it were all his mother's.

There is another point of course - children of that age often play with heds close together, so if one child has an infestation of nits, the whole group gets it!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:14:52 PM by SusanDoris »
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

floo

My grandson (15) has hair below his shoulders, but then he doesn't go to school, as his mother home schools him and his younger brother. I must admit I dislike long hair but that is both on girls and boys.

Robbie

There is another point of course - children of that age often play with heds close together, so if one child has an infestation of nits, the whole group gets it!

They sure do but that applies equally to short hair especially if it's fluffy! Teachers catch them too & manage to infest members of their family before they know it  :D.

Sebastian Toe

I must admit I dislike .......
....just about everything?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

....just about everything?

Oh don't be silly. ::) There a loads of things I like.

Robbie

Flowers, a fresh pot of coffee, driving, children, seaside, a good book and short hair.

floo

I like my family, my home, my neighbourhood, my hobbies, my Kindle, some programmes on TV, my computer, my own space.

Maeght

Applies to females as well as males doesn't it?

Rhiannon

Applies to females as well as males doesn't it?

It's got round by tying hair up. Not an issue.

Maeght

It's got round by tying hair up. Not an issue.

Yes, which also applies to males as well as females of course.

Humph Warden Bennett

I wonder if the school has any Sikh boys there and whether they allow turbans? This of course brings in the subject of daft ideas about why hair or clothing will please or displease some mythical god.

Er no, it does not.

As far as I am concerned it is a matter of whether the boy's peers are going to give him grief or not. Long hair at secondary school can be dangerous in some cases, metalwork lessons comes to mind, if a boy with long hair is ok with wearing a hairnet when working with machinery then so be it, but what if he is banned from using machinery because he will neither wear a hairnet, or get his hair cut?

Sebastian Toe

Er no, it does not.

As far as I am concerned it is a matter of whether the boy's peers are going to give him grief or not. Long hair at secondary school can be dangerous in some cases, metalwork lessons comes to mind, if a boy with long hair is ok with wearing a hairnet when working with machinery then so be it, but what if he is banned from using machinery because he will neither wear a hairnet, or get his hair cut?
Dont girls take metalwork?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Humph Warden Bennett

Dont girls take metalwork?

That is my point! Would a boy want to wear a hairnet like a girl?

Shaker

He wouldn't have to. Just tie it back.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Maeght

Didn't know hairnets were exclusively for females.

Humph Warden Bennett

He wouldn't have to. Just tie it back.

And have it checked by a teacher. And if the teacher thought that the pony tail was not safe?

It's really more of an Health and Safety Issue.

Humph Warden Bennett

Didn't know hairnets were exclusively for females.

They are not. Nor are skirts, if I visit an Orthodox Monastery wearing shorts, I would be expected to be put on a temporary skirt, just like anybody else showing bare skin above the knee.

Maeght

They are not. Nor are skirts, if I visit an Orthodox Monastery wearing shorts, I would be expected to be put on a temporary skirt, just like anybody else showing bare skin above the knee.

So why did you say about wearinga hairnet like a girl?

Humph Warden Bennett

So why did you say about wearinga hairnet like a girl?

Because hairnets are usually associated with girls.

So are Sanitary Towels, but I was advised to use the same for a week following the removal of a pilonidal cyst.

Maeght

Because hairnets are usually associated with girls.

Not by me and I doubt many young people would think this. They are more common wear in the food industry for both sexes.