Author Topic: Long hair on boys - do girls with short hair have to grow theirs . . . ???  (Read 9169 times)

Rhiannon

Not by me and I doubt many young people would think this. They are more common wear in the food industry for both sexes.

They are also required wearing under crash helmets for karting, unless a balaclava is worn.

Rhiannon

And have it checked by a teacher. And if the teacher thought that the pony tail was not safe?

It's really more of an Health and Safety Issue.

In which case all girls should have short hair too.

Robbie

Didn't know hairnets were exclusively for females.

They are not, many people have their hair in a net for safety, it isn't an exclusively female thing.
Sometimes just tying back is OK.

I saw 'metalwork' was mentioned - is that subject still offered in schools?  I've not heard of it, nor 'woodwork', since I don't know when.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Maeght

They are not, many people have their hair in a net for safety, it isn't an exclusively female thing.

Yes, I know. I was making a point.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages

I saw 'metalwork' was mentioned - is that subject still offered in schools?  I've not heard of it, nor 'woodwork', since I don't know when.

ISTR they come under "Design and Technology" these days.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Maeght

ISTR they come under "Design and Technology" these days.

Schools are struggling to find trained teachers and to meet H&S requirements though I think so can't always offer it I understand.

Owlswing

When I put this up for discussion I had noted that the school had refused the boy permission to tier his hair in a bun, he had it done in this way in one of the photo's.

Now, OK, I wear my hair longer than either of my daughters and when I joined, no, re-joined the Wimpey Group on my return from Oz in 1975 I was told that my hair, then hanging to about six inches above my belt was 'unacceptably long' by the HR, Personnel in those days, lady who did my interview and told me that I would have to cut it, a 'short back and sides' was the preferred length fo rall male employees.

Needless to say I wasn't exactly happy at this prospect and was discussing it with a couple of colleaugues from my previous time at the company and a tall elderly gentleman stopped and listened for a few minutes and then asked for the name of the Personell staffer who had told me this was the case. I gave it and the gentleman walked off.

One of the bods at the table told me that I was either going to keep my hair or lose my job. It turned out to be the latter and a memo was circulated stating that unless the length of an employees hair (male or female) was no business of the Company's unless it was a saftey hazard or was not kept tidy and clean.

The old gentleman was Sir Godfrey Mitchell, the owner of the Wimpey Group and, had he not been theer to hear me bitching I would not have worked for the Group for 22 years! I did cut my hair back to just below my collar after about four or five years, it was too much trouble in a wind!

This is to say I notice that in the UK the matter seems to be left to parents or kids but in America it seems to be a matter of political import!     
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ad_orientem

The man bun should be banned.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

floo

Shaker

Because he's always belonged to and naturally sought out a religion which thinks that anything he doesn't like shouldn't exist.

The monotheistic ones are like that. The others, not so much. Evidence available on request ... if you plan on living for just about for ever.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:51:37 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

ad_orientem

Why?

Because it's incredibly girly.

Shaker

That's terrible, is it?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

Aww, such insecurity.

ad_orientem

Might as well start plucking your eyebrows.

Shaker

Many, many years ago when I had extremely long hair, I was sitting hunched over on a bench in Abbey Park (one of Leicester's main green spaces) and behind me, from a small group of youngsters, about six or seven lads of about nine or ten or so, a voice rang out: "Ayup missus, what time is it please?"

I turned around - fairly obviously a big man; 6'4"; probably 19 stone or so or whatever at the time; and smiled. "Ten past [or whatever; whatever it was at the time]".

Nothing to dine out on but I've relished it ever since. Oh for the days when from behind I could still be mistaken for a female.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:20:19 PM by Shaker »

Shaker

Might as well start plucking your eyebrows.
That's terrible, is it?

floo

ad_orientem

That's terrible, is it?

Effeminate, if nothing else.

Shaker

That's terrible, is it?

Rhiannon

So what?

They aren't often girly actually. They can be annoyingly hipster, or a convenient alternative to a pony tail (see not especially girly Andy Carroll).

Rhiannon

Like I said, such insecurity.

ad_orientem

Like I said, such insecurity.

No, just the opinion of a normal, average man.

Rhiannon

Hardly that.

Shaker

What is normal and what is average, please?

ad_orientem

Hardly that.

It's exactly that, pal. I don't know what kind of a bubble you live in.