Author Topic: Germany  (Read 1974 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Germany
« on: September 11, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

Germany is going to the polls this month. Here is a CNN article about how Germany stacks up against other European countries on various counts.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/11/europe/germany-compared-to-europe/index.html

When German voters head to the polls on September 24, they'll have to choose from a record 42 parties, but there are just two realistic candidates for Chancellor -- incumbent Angela Merkel, of the conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU), and her Social Democratic Party (SPD) rival, Martin Schulz.

Immigration is still a top concern for many German voters after more than a million asylum seekers entered the country over the past two years, but other issues such as income inequality, climate change and an aging population are equally divisive.

UK seems to be  side by side with Germany in many cases.

Any views?

Sriram

Maeght

Re: Germany
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
No.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 06:48:46 PM »
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walter

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
couldn't give a monkeys but thanks for asking

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:00:08 AM »

Well...I though at least the non-Brexiters would be interested in other European countries and their relative position on various counts..... 

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 09:13:59 AM »
Would have replied earlier Sriram but didn't notice it.

I travel every year to Germany to visit partners relatives - and the issue of asylum seekers, migrants whatever you wish to classify them as looms large over German politics from the discussions I've had (and I know this is with a few people and anecdotal) but it is revealing that partners cousin said when we were discussing BREXIT that he wasn't sure that if he was offered the same choice that he wouldn't have chosen GEXIT (see what I did there?).

He, is not some far right Nazi - he is a reasonably well off social worker with very similar political leanings to myself, who worries about the stresses that immigration places on Germany's infrastructure and wants some kind of limit placed on numbers coming into the country.

As I say anecdotal - but to assume that all Germans - or indeed all Europeans, are massively in favour of the way the EU is currently structured is a mistake. One that Cameron should have avoided.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12:06 PM »
Would have replied earlier Sriram but didn't notice it.

I travel every year to Germany to visit partners relatives - and the issue of asylum seekers, migrants whatever you wish to classify them as looms large over German politics from the discussions I've had (and I know this is with a few people and anecdotal) but it is revealing that partners cousin said when we were discussing BREXIT that he wasn't sure that if he was offered the same choice that he wouldn't have chosen GEXIT (see what I did there?).

He, is not some far right Nazi - he is a reasonably well off social worker with very similar political leanings to myself, who worries about the stresses that immigration places on Germany's infrastructure and wants some kind of limit placed on numbers coming into the country.

As I say anecdotal - but to assume that all Germans - or indeed all Europeans, are massively in favour of the way the EU is currently structured is a mistake. One that Cameron should have avoided.

Germany seems to be the de facto 'leader' of the EU  as of now. Merkel is a nice, soft but strong lady.  They are doing very well. UK is doing fine too...though how things will be after Brexit...I cannot say.

Shaker

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 05:22:18 PM »
UK is doing fine too...though how things will be after Brexit...I cannot say.
According to that well-known psychic and fortune-teller, Jean-Claude Juncker, we'll soon regret it.

Apparently. Not sure how his precognitive powers quantify 'we' or 'soon', but these things are always necessarily left vague so that the would-be predictor always has the opportunity to say "told you so ... whatever it was I told you".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:30:53 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:31 AM »
Worrying that a far right party did so well but interesting that we have a Dutchification of German politics with other small parties picking up seats. The success of the AfD in what was East Germany is understandable but problematic. It's unclear what 'listening' to the AfD voters as Merkel gas said means and the likely CSU, FDP, Green coalition does not look like an easy one to maintain.

floo

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
Worrying that a far right party did so well but interesting that we have a Dutchification of German politics with other small parties picking up seats. The success of the AfD in what was East Germany is understandable but problematic. It's unclear what 'listening' to the AfD voters as Merkel gas said means and the likely CSU, FDP, Green coalition does not look like an easy one to maintain.

It is extremely worrying that the AFD have done so well. :o

Walter

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
It is extremely worrying that the AFD have done so well. :o
no it's not , you can only speak for yourself.

floo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 09:18:02 AM »
no it's not , you can only speak for yourself.

Sieg Heil! >:(

Walter

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »

floo

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:07 AM »
now , that's funny  :) :) :) :)

In which case as well as being a WUM you have a very weird sense of humour! ::)

Walter

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
In which case as well as being a WUM you have a very weird sense of humour! ::)
you're too kind  :-[ :-[

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »
One could almost equally argue that the result showed a big boost for the FDP  :)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
One could almost equally argue that the result showed a big boost for the FDP  :)
It's not an either or.  It's bad for the CSU and the SPD. It's been good for the AfD and the FDP but the AfD are in parliament as a third party and the second largest party in what was East Germany. The boost for a pro business FDP is notable leads to them being likely to be in coalition BUT the move of the SPD into opposition, and the fragility of any coalition between CSU/FDU and Greens means that the winners are the AfD.