Author Topic: Food banks successful because Tory Govt publicity  (Read 3182 times)

JP

Re: Food banks successful because Tory Govt publicity
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »
Well doesn't that just say it all.

"Evidence? We don' need no steenking evidence."

I see you choose to ignore the rest, the bit, the main bit of my posting in this thread, where under labour houses became unaffordable for young people and this is the start of where we find ourselves today.

Labour did this. Labour sat back and watched the housing market spiral out of control. People use foodbanks because they pay huge rents or huge lifetime mortgages. The pay caps and austerity have compounded this but Labour putting house prices where they did started it all off.
How can something so perfect be so flawed.

Robbie

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »
House prices soared under Thatcher, then there was recession and the value dropped, home owners were left with negative equity.  Plenty lost their houses - and their jobs.  It was easier when Labour came in in 1997 for people to get on a rung on the housing ladder.

It's hard now for young people to buy their first house, they tend to do it later in life but they get there eventually.

I hope Rees-Mogg's rather naive comments do not stop people supporting food banks, they are a lifeline for people in difficulties.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

JP

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 09:46:38 PM »
House prices soared under Thatcher, then there was recession and the value dropped, home owners were left with negative equity.  Plenty lost their houses - and their jobs.  It was easier when Labour came in in 1997 for people to get on a rung on the housing ladder.

It's hard now for young people to buy their first house, they tend to do it later in life but they get there eventually.

I hope Rees-Mogg's rather naive comments do not stop people supporting food banks, they are a lifeline for people in difficulties.

Why is it hard now for young people to buy their first house?
How can something so perfect be so flawed.

Rhiannon

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 09:52:26 PM »
I'd have said it was pretty easy to get on the property ladder under Major, I bought my first house in 1992 within walking distance of a mainline station into the City for a sum that wouldn't buy you a terrace in Grimsby now. Then they rocketed again under Blair.

http://www.cityam.com/214275/general-election-2015-how-tony-blair-presided-over-biggest-rise-house-prices-history

Robbie

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 10:20:36 PM »
House prices plummeted during the Thatcher recession which made it easy for people to buy.  1992 was a good year for that.  Earlier on in her reign they had sky rocketed!  I can remember houses that had been worth, say, £100,000 soaring to £250,000.  Just a few years later the owners had negative equity.  That didn't matter if they weren't in any hurry to move, they could sit it out and wait for the price to rise but a lot of houses in that price range were not very big and for someone wanting a family house, it wasn't good news.  Then there were the repossessions - houses were put up for auction and bought for peanuts.  It was terribly unfair, so many left with nothing.

I bought my first house (with my husband), where we lived for a few years,  in 1985 and it cost £55,000.  Eight years before that the previous owners had bought it for £12,000!  In no time at all the value had increased dramatically, a few more years and it had decreased.

It took a while for house prices to rise under Blair but everyone expects their home to go up in value, not down.

The recession, caps on pay rises, causes hardship for young people.  Anyone who wants to live in London or surrounding area will have to find an enormous deposit and not many can save up £60,000+.  There are other areas where housing is expensive.  However not everyone wants to live in or near a city and there are areas where everything is cheaper.  It's all about compromise but nothing lasts forever.

(I bothered to search for this post because it's been bugging me when I remembered I said I bought first house in 1986. It was October 1985, we (fiance and I) moved in early January 1986. Me being pedantic. )
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:57:51 AM by Robbie »
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 08:45:29 AM »
It was one of Margaret Thatcher's core philosophies: a property owning democracy. A consequence of this was that houses began to be viewed as repositories of wealth - the main hope of house buyers was that property would increase in value. All that we are seeing now is the consequence of that philosophy.

Associated with this was the belief by (I believe) Keith Joseph that the housing stock owned by local authorities which was rented at affordable prices (council houses) was not cost effective.

Compared with many other countries, the percentage of the UK housing stock owned by occupiers is extremely high. In some countries the practice is for people to rent property during their working years and to buy when they retire. House ownership has disadvantages - one of which is that the prolonged process of selling a house militates against a mobile and flexible workforce.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?