Author Topic: Parsons Green incident  (Read 4217 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Parsons Green incident
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:40:54 AM »
Apparent fireball on tube train. Reports of Burns and tramplings in the panic.

Walter

Re: Parsons Green incident
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
Apparent fireball on tube train. Reports of Burns and tramplings in the panic.
it's times like this I wish my daughter didn't live and work in London . I have to weigh up the fact that a young girl from the Yorkshire Dales is living her dream against the risks. She sent a text to say she was okay which helps !

trippymonkey

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
About 8-30 this morning on a West London tube train.
Seems it was inside a box in a large bag. Doesn't look like anyone seriously hurt SO FAR although one man was taken away on a stretcher.
Our prayers & ALL best wishes go to all affected by this outrage. >:(

http://www.independent.co.uk/?S2ref=1602344

Nick

floo

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »
I hope no one has been seriously injured in this latest terrorist atrocity. :o

floo

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 11:25:38 AM »
I have nephews who work in offices in London, so with more and more terrorist incidents it is a concern, especially for their parents.

trippymonkey

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
Later news confirms some injuries but some will have been caused by sheer panic.

Rhiannon

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
We're all still more at risk every time we get in our cars though.

Looks like a bit of a bodge so far. My thoughts are with all those affected, it's deeply traumatising.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:01:54 PM »
We're all still more at risk every time we get in our cars though.

Looks like a bit of a bodge so far. My thoughts are with all those affected, it's deeply traumatising.

And the rate of terrorism over time is probably not what people expect.

http://www.datagraver.com/case/people-killed-by-terrorism-per-year-in-western-europe-1970-2015

floo

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »
It appears no one has been seriously injured in this incident, thank goodness.

JP

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 01:30:53 PM »
It appears no one has been seriously injured in this incident, thank goodness.

Unless you are the one with severe burns then you may see it differently. I suspect the true level of injuries will be played down and the incident downgraded for the sake of fuck knows.

All part and parcel of life in a big city according to the mayor.
How can something so perfect be so flawed.

floo

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41283984

May has told Trump off for making stupid, unhelpful tweets about the incident.

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 04:08:26 PM »
"I never think it's helpful for anybody to speculate on what is an ongoing investigation."

Well that's told him.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
Unless you are the one with severe burns then you may see it differently. I suspect the true level of injuries will be played down and the incident downgraded for the sake of fuck knows.
Unfortunately, 'fuck knows' isn't sufficient for me at least. If you "suspect the true level of injuries will be played down and the incident downgraded" you must have what you regard as some reason for suspecting that "the true level of injuries will be played down and the incident downgraded". What is it?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »
it's times like this I wish my daughter didn't live and work in London . I have to weigh up the fact that a young girl from the Yorkshire Dales is living her dream against the risks. She sent a text to say she was okay which helps !

Stories like this tend to exaggerate the risk. Thirty six people dead from terrorist attacks this year. In 2015, 136 people died in road accidents in London alone.  You should be more concerned that your daughter looks both ways before crossing the road. However, even there, with something like nine million people living in London, the risk is not that high.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Shaker

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »
Don't you go bringing facts into it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 04:37:24 PM »

No. The government will exaggerate the dangers and play the incident up. This is so that, when they erode our civil liberties even further we will just say "yes ma'am".
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 04:42:09 PM »
Don't you go bringing facts into it.
Sorry but I can't help it. This whole things scares me but not for the apparently obvious reason. I'm scared that my freedom will be severely curtailed in the name of protecting us from terrorists. 

Walter

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »
Stories like this tend to exaggerate the risk. Thirty six people dead from terrorist attacks this year. In 2015, 136 people died in road accidents in London alone.  You should be more concerned that your daughter looks both ways before crossing the road. However, even there, with something like nine million people living in London, the risk is not that high.
well thanks for that , you cunt!

Shaker

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »
Sorry but I can't help it. This whole things scares me but not for the apparently obvious reason. I'm scared that my freedom will be severely curtailed in the name of protecting us from terrorists.
Well, yes.

Just about every time that civil liberties are either actually curtailed or threatened to be curtailed it's done in the name of an -ist of some variety - communist, terrorist, Islamist ... you name it.

floo

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 08:19:17 AM »
May has raised the terror threat level to critical.

Rhiannon

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »
That happened a good twelve hours ago Floo.

Rhiannon

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
Police have arrested an idiotic 18 yr old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41292528

JP

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »
No. The government will exaggerate the dangers and play the incident up. This is so that, when they erode our civil liberties even further we will just say "yes ma'am".

What civil liberties have been eroded?

Also why call it an 'incident'. Why not an attempted terrorist attack or bombing. Why call it an 'IED' instead of a bomb (and yes I know it is improvised but it is still a bomb). Why not release a picture of the person they are seeking so the wider public can assist. Who is the 18 year old has been arrested, not a name perhaps but a bit more detail like when they arrested the serving members of the Army a few weeks back they were arresting " extremist far right Nazis" but this one is only an 18 year old.

Downplaying.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:05:54 PM by JP »
How can something so perfect be so flawed.

Walter

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 04:09:33 PM »
Well said JP

Rhiannon

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
They can't give more detail in case it screws up the investigation. The terror threat wasn't raised to 'imminent' because of a bunch of neo nazi losers, but because there could be people linked to this dipstick ready to attack at any time. Trump might not know that but users of this forum should.