Author Topic: Why eating a steak is more ethical than eating a chicken  (Read 5168 times)

SusanDoris

Re: Why eating a steak is more ethical than eating a chicken
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »
Is there anything wrong with that? Pigs wouldn't exist at all without humans treating them as food stuffs.
/exactly. And if anyone can tell me  that the human species would have evolved and survived successfully without being omnivores, then, well, I probably still won't believe them!  :)
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Shaker

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »
"Humans say any existence is better than none for pigs in shock new revelation"

http://tinyurl.com/y9aafc3k

http://tinyurl.com/y73237wp

http://tinyurl.com/y7ay5y8f

http://tinyurl.com/klhnoyq
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 11:19:20 AM »
The word damaged is the giveaway here, I'd have thought.
The week before last a nail got driven into the front left tyre of my car. It was damaged. The car, being fairly modern, displayed a warning on the dashboard to say so. Did the car experience suffering?

The fact that you - with what degree of seriousness it's impossible to ascertain - attempt to argue in such a barrel-bottom-scraping manner, flirting with denial of just about everything we know of anatomy and physiology as well as evolutionary biology, zoology, ethology and plenty more -ologies beside, always says to me that a truly prickly defensive reaction has kicked in because vested interests are at stake.Given the way pigs are habitually treated on a scale that almost defies comprehension, I'd say that that seems unlikely in the extreme. Evidence easily found - or supplied, if you're going to be more than usually tiresome.
So this is all just deflection.

It's clear to me that you do not have any idea of whether any particular animal experiences pain in the way that we do or even have a clue as to whether pain is suffering. That doesn't mean vegetarianism is wrong. Here is an animal, I don't know if rearing it for meat is causing suffering, therefore I won't take the chance. However, your assertions lack evidence and your position leads to consequences that are probably untenable e.g. we couldn't kill cockroaches or rats.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Shaker

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
The week before last a nail got driven into the front left tyre of my car. It was damaged. The car, being fairly modern, displayed a warning on the dashboard to say so. Did the car experience suffering?
No, but then cars are not sentient.
It's clear to me that you do not have any idea of whether any particular animal experiences pain in the way that we do or even have a clue as to whether pain is suffering. That doesn't mean vegetarianism is wrong. Here is an animal, I don't know if rearing it for meat is causing suffering, therefore I won't take the chance. However, your assertions lack evidence and your position leads to consequences that are probably untenable e.g. we couldn't kill cockroaches or rats.
It's clear to me that when something you presumably enjoy (eating animals) is being critiqued - and therefore, by extension, you likewise - you will throw up a smokescreen of the most far-fetched and implausible and Jesuitical would-be defences that fly in the face of all we already know about animal anatomy and physiology in order to continue doing it while fooling yourself that you're not doing something fundamentally wrong. It's the omnivore's three-step. It typically runs:

1. Deny that non-human animals can suffer in any sense at all;

2. When faced with overwhelming and undeniable evidence of suffering, concede the point but deny that it's all that bad really; and finally

3. Petulantly assert that you don't actually care anyway.

'Twas ever thus.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:29:34 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
No, but then cars are not sentient.
And your evidence that cockroaches and rats are sentient is...?

It's clear to me that when something you presumably enjoy (eating animals) is being critiqued
I fully admit that my moral position on eating meat is difficult, if not impossible to justify. I'm a bad man, sue me.

However, I'm trying to get to the evidence for your position. You make various claims about pain and suffering but you do not seem to have the evidence to support them.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Rhiannon

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »
It's known that pigs suffer through a lack of mental stimulation in factory farming conditions.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 11:34:32 PM »
It's known that pigs suffer through a lack of mental stimulation in factory farming conditions.
They should try working in a call centre!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »
Recognition of animals as sentient beings is not included in the Repeal Bill, for EU withdrawal.

So, farm animals for example, that are sentient whilst we are in the EU, will no longer be regarded as sentient when we leave.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/260/862/347/british-animals-no-longer-recognised-as-sentient-beings-act-now-/

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Bramble

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 01:46:44 PM »
Recognition of animals as sentient beings is not included in the Repeal Bill, for EU withdrawal.

So, farm animals for example, that are sentient whilst we are in the EU, will no longer be regarded as sentient when we leave.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/260/862/347/british-animals-no-longer-recognised-as-sentient-beings-act-now-/

That's absolutely shocking, though I suppose I should have seen it coming. What kind of country do we live in? Thanks, Brexit. FFS!