Author Topic: Is the unconscious conscious?  (Read 2595 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Is the unconscious conscious?
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
I am reminded of epicycles and Swift's lines

"So nat'ralists observe, a flea
Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller fleas to bite 'em.
And so proceeds Ad infinitum."

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/consciousness-goes-deeper-than-you-think/

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Re: Is the unconscious conscious?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »

Something we have known all along....   I have discussed this many times especially with torridon.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »

Something we have known all along....   I have discussed this many times especially with torridon.
and he disagrees with you on this, as he would argue we are not conscious when we dsleep. Given that there isn't a clear definition of consciousness, and given that no matter what we are dealing in a form of semantics here, stating 'We' (an attempt to create a argument from both authority, populum and begging the question in a single word) and 'have known' a further begging the question, is seeking to sweep away the discussion before it's begun.

Further it ignores the impact on any idea of unitary conscious which you also support. If you think the ideas are valid then your support there would be illogical.

wigginhall

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 02:21:31 PM »
It is interesting, although a bit technical.  I recall that Freud tried to grapple with some of this with his ideas of the preconscious, and also that the ego itself could have unconscious operations, and he also rejected the idea of the subconscious.   I expect neuroscience to investigate some of this, since presumably there are different indications of fully conscious, semi-conscious, and fully unconscious stuff, and intermediate operations.   The idea of re-representation seems very important, but it makes the notion of 'conscious' highly ambiguous.  As he says (I think), new born babies are conscious in that respect, but not conscious that they are conscious.   
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Walter

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:42:13 PM »
I am reminded of epicycles and Swift's lines

"So nat'ralists observe, a flea
Has smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller fleas to bite 'em.
And so proceeds Ad infinitum."

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/consciousness-goes-deeper-than-you-think/
the article has the word philosophy in it, so I'm reminded not to read it . Thanks all the same .
e

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »

The fact that Consciousness and... Consciousness of consciousness... are different, is obvious. Infants are conscious, animals and birds are conscious. But they are not conscious of their consciousness. This latter (that the guy calls meta consciousness) is what is often taken as Consciousness...though it is only an extension.

The last para in the article is quite comprehensive.

"Consciousness may never arise...be it is babies, toddlers, children or adults...because it may always be there to begin with.  For all we know, what arises is merely a meta cognitive configuration of preexisting consciousness. If so, consciousness may be fundamental in nature...an inherent aspect of every mental process, not a property constituted  or somehow generated by particular physical arrangements of the brain." 

wigginhall

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
That last bit sounds circular to me.  If biological life forms have awareness, even bacteria, then it's not being super-bold to predict that some kind of nervous system produces that awareness.   Eventually, this evolved into brains in various animals.   

What would be bold would be to argue that energy itself (and matter) produce awareness, the so-called 'panpsychism' position, which seems to have revived in recent years, with the discussion of the 'hard problem'.   
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »
That last bit sounds circular to me.  If biological life forms have awareness, even bacteria, then it's not being super-bold to predict that some kind of nervous system produces that awareness.   Eventually, this evolved into brains in various animals.   

What would be bold would be to argue that energy itself (and matter) produce awareness, the so-called 'panpsychism' position, which seems to have revived in recent years, with the discussion of the 'hard problem'.

In more basic terms it is almost as if it argues in that last part that any output caused/affected by input is an example of consciousness which is I think effective panpsychism.

Awareness also has the problem that it seems to create an infinite regress in that if we count metacognition as an awareness of knowing then to paraphrase the great philosopher of epistemology, Hylda Baker, she knows she knows she knows .....

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »

The OP article once again brings out the overlap between science and philosophy. It is becoming more and more difficult to distinguish between them.

Shaker

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 04:53:27 PM »
The OP article once again brings out the overlap between science and philosophy. It is becoming more and more difficult to distinguish between them.
Not for those who know anything about science, it isn't.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:56:34 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
... Or philosophy for that matter.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
Is black white?
Is up down?
Is big small?
I'm reminded of George Orwell's quip that some beliefs are so silly that only an intellectual could hold them, and that applies to many other threads on here, as well.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
Is black white?
Is up down?
Is big small?
I'm reminded of George Orwell's quip that some beliefs are so silly that only an intellectual could hold them, and that applies to many other threads on here, as well.
I'm reminded of somebody else's quip that you can always spot those on a thread who have absolutely nothing to contribute to the subject at hand.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
I'm reminded of somebody else's quip that you can always spot those on a thread who have absolutely nothing to contribute to the subject at hand.
I'm reminded of the poster who said "don't forget your ball" on another thread.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Shaker

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 01:10:21 PM »
I'm reminded of the poster who said "don't forget your ball" on another thread.
Probably taking the piss out of somebody acting like a petulant child, I dare say.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 01:13:30 PM »
Moderator play nicely, now and maybe,  just maybe,  talk about the subject of the thread.