Author Topic: Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland  (Read 7054 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland
« on: September 28, 2017, 05:25:52 AM »

This sort of thing thing can bring companies down. The previous issue would have been survivable but this is something that could undermine them because  of the creation of an expectation that flight lines get cancelled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41419580

floo

Re: Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
We flew with Ryanair about 15 years ago, never again, we were not impressed with its performance. It seems to have got much worse as the years have gone by.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »
This sort of thing thing can bring companies down. The previous issue would have been survivable but this is something that could undermine them because  of the creation of an expectation that flight lines get cancelled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41419580
Three points:

1. Ryanair are a disgrace - simply cancelling so many services when people have already booked because they aren't able to manage their business property is simply appalling.

2. We seem to have a significant number of Scottish posters here and sometimes they seem astonishingly parochial - this being a case in point. Ryanair cancel 34 services, of those only 5 involve a Scottish destination yet apparently the response is 'Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland' :o

And, I think, all but one of those five services are directly offered by other carriers. So unless you are wanting to travel from Edinburgh to Szczecin you have plenty of other options.

It would be more appropriate to claim that 'Ryanair cancels Christmas in Sicily' as there are more cancelled services just to Trapani than the whole of Scotland.

3. To reiterate - Ryanair are useless.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
Three points:

1. Ryanair are a disgrace - simply cancelling so many services when people have already booked because they aren't able to manage their business property is simply appalling.

2. We seem to have a significant number of Scottish posters here and sometimes they seem astonishingly parochial - this being a case in point. Ryanair cancel 34 services, of those only 5 involve a Scottish destination yet apparently the response is 'Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland' :o

And, I think, all but one of those five services are directly offered by other carriers. So unless you are wanting to travel from Edinburgh to Szczecin you have plenty of other options.

It would be more appropriate to claim that 'Ryanair cancels Christmas in Sicily' as there are more cancelled services just to Trapani than the whole of Scotland.

3. To reiterate - Ryanair are useless.

I take it if someone in Tipperary actually sings 'It's a long way to Tipperary', you would just have to tell them that it definitely isn't. It was a title to introduce a topic. You need to stop getting emotional about throwaway lines.

I do wonder if Michael O'Leary might be in the running for Green Business Person of the year for his work in reducing air travel.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »
My son flew Barcelona to Stansted last weekend then Stansted to Madrid earlier this week all Ryanair. One 20 minute delay leaving from Stansted, despite all the other Ryanair chaos.

Can't really complain as the flights were (iirc) £14 and £9 respectively.

Ryanair are certainly crap, but doesn't mean they can't be useful or that the chaos is helping with reducing any emissions.   

As an aside I remember flying Kabul/London on a battered Aeroflot 707 in the '70s - must be the worst flight I've ever taken.

As an aside to the aside: Looking back I recall I sat with an Iraqi and had an depth discussion about the history of Iraq, and he was really proud of how they had managed to pull together a united nation - this was just a few years before Saddam!
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
The problem for Ryanair is surely that while people were willing for it to be not the greatest experience for the generally very cheap money, the publicity of this undermines whether they are reliable and competent. Given that the airline industry is both competive and not hugely profitabkdy, a small downturn could have a big impact on them.

Combine that with the growth in demand for pilots and the impact of them being 'glorified taxi drivers' according to O'Leary and what was s piece of management incompetence could have many other effects.

Walter

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 06:22:11 PM »
We flew with Ryanair about 15 years ago, never again, we were not impressed with its performance. It seems to have got much worse as the years have gone by.
no one cares what you did 15 years ago , or even yesterday. I am not impressed by your comment .

Walter

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »
The problem for Ryanair is surely that while people were willing for it to be not the greatest experience for the generally very cheap money, the publicity of this undermines whether they are reliable and competent. Given that the airline industry is both competive and not hugely profitabkdy, a small downturn could have a big impact on them.

Combine that with the growth in demand for pilots and the impact of them being 'glorified taxi drivers' according to O'Leary and what was s piece of management incompetence could have many other effects.
unless a pilot is engaged in battle they ARE  glorified taxi drivers . Human pilots are no longer required anyway, surplus to requirement ,they exist only to make passengers feel better . 

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »

Ryanair could come out badly, but we have had plenty of airlines, especially low cost ones, go under before.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Walter

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
Ryanair could come out badly, but we have had plenty of airlines, especially low cost ones, go under before.
Really , I didn't know that.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 06:52:24 PM »
That's rather the point. It's a very high turnover business.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 07:01:48 PM »
It was a title to introduce a topic.
Indeed.

The topic being that Ryanair (did I say they are useless) have cancelled 34 services, so therefore a total of 68 destinations, of which just 5 are in Scotland.

To introduce such a topic with:

'Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland'

Shows levels of parochialism rarely seen since:

'Fog in channel; Europe cut off'

Walter

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
That's rather the point. It's a very high turnover business.
no! , what are you saying? have I been duped? , I  refuse to believe it . So are you saying Moby Dick really is a book and NOT a medical condition down the clap clinic?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »
Indeed.

The topic being that Ryanair (did I say they are useless) have cancelled 34 services, so therefore a total of 68 destinations, of which just 5 are in Scotland.

To introduce such a topic with:

'Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland'

Shows levels of parochialism rarely seen since:

'Fog in channel; Europe cut off'

Is there a paper bag you can breath into? Or even try counting to ten? Whatever you need to do to relax about throwaway  lines in titles to introduce a topic. Worried about you, hun!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 07:11:48 PM »
no! , what are you saying? have I been duped? , I  refuse to believe it . So are you saying Moby Dick really is a book and NOT a medical condition down the clap clinic?
And here was me thinking that was how you advertised yourself till the ASA intervened.

Walter

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »
Is there a paper bag you can breath into? Or even try counting to ten? Whatever you need to do to relax about throwaway  lines in titles to introduce a topic. Worried about you, hun!
NOPE  , perfectly alright mate , there is a mental state , I think its in the USA somewhere ,  that I might be accepted in.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
I'm absolutely fine NS.

Just a tad concerned about your parochialism - perhaps you need to get out a little more. And of course your thread subject completely misrepresents the contents of your link. I thought you took a rather dim view of people misrepresenting what is written in BBC news links in their posts. Or is that a criticism you only throw at others, but ignore yourself.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 07:26:17 PM »
NOPE  , perfectly alright mate , there is a mental state , I think its in the USA somewhere ,  that I might be accepted in.
Not worried about you! At least not today. It's poor Prof D and his hyperventilating about throwaway lines that I am thinking we might need a telethon for.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 07:27:33 PM »
I'm absolutely fine NS.

Just a tad concerned about your parochialism - perhaps you need to get out a little more. And of course your thread subject completely misrepresents the contents of your link. I thought you took a rather dim view of people misrepresenting what is written in BBC news links in their posts. Or is that a criticism you only throw at others, but ignore yourself.

I suspect NS had his tongue firmly in his cheek, Prof.

Lighten up.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »
Not worried about you! At least not today. It's poor Prof D and his hyperventilating about throwaway lines that I am thinking we might need a telethon for.
No hyperventilating around here - just pointing out that the issue does not disproportionately, let alone predominantly affect Scotland. And to imply it does - as indicated in your thread subject - completely misrepresents the nature of the issue, and also demonstrates a rather worrying tendency for parochialism. And not for the first time sadly.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
I'm absolutely fine NS.

I've got the number of a really good stress management company, which you appear to need. It's 077788899779960. Just call and ask for Black Bob and his big black dog, and say you need the special stuff. I do have to warn you that he is inclined to use figures of speech and, unfortunately  for you a sense of humour. But the 'treatment' is really good - I think you want the blue pills..

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
No hyperventilating around here - just pointing out that the issue does not disproportionately, let alone predominantly affect Scotland. And to imply it does - as indicated in your thread subject - completely misrepresents the nature of the issue, and also demonstrates a rather worrying tendency for parochialism. And not for the first time sadly.

I forgive you

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »
Meant to say that I'm all in favour of cancelling Christmas: so if Ryanair have the Santa route on their books perhaps they could add that one to the other 34.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »
On a more serious note, it looks like the CAA have now required Ryanair to comply with their responsibilities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41435013

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 10:02:37 PM »
I forgive you
Blimey - patronising as well as parochial.

Are you trying to get the full set of 'p' adjectives? ;)