Author Topic: Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland  (Read 7032 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Ryanair cancels Christmas in Scotland
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »
Blimey - patronising as well as parochial.

Are you trying to get the full set of 'p' adjectives? ;)
You still haven't phoned Black Bob, have you? 

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 11:56:44 PM »
You still haven't phoned Black Bob, have you?
A post of Vlad-eque levels of incomprehensibilty.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 01:23:56 AM »
It was a title to introduce a topic.
it was kind of click baity.

I only clicked on the topic because I was curious to find how an airline could cancel Christmas in a whole country. Turns out it was not true. Ryanair haven't cancelled Christmas, only flights.

As for that, Ryanair is known for having the cheapest fares and they do it by cutting costs to the bone. As soon as anything goes wrong, they are going to be in trouble. However, when faced with a choice between a cheap flight with lousy service and a more expensive flight with better service, many people vote with their wallets. Well that's fine, but don't complain when this sort of thing happens.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 06:40:21 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 06:43:25 AM »

I only clicked on the topic because I was curious to find how an airline could cancel Christmas in a whole country. Turns out it was not true. Ryanair haven't cancelled Christmas, only flights.

As for that, Ryanair is known for having the cheapest fares and they do it by cutting costs to the bone. As soon as anything goes wrong, they are going to be in trouble. However, when faced with a choice between a cheap flight with lousy service and a more expensive flight with better service, many people vote with their wallets. Well that's fine, but don't complain when this sort of thing happens.

I think there is a basic assumption that service includes the actual flight, and suggesting that people have no right to complain when there is no flight is odd

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladek_Sheybal?
Still completely incomprehensible - what has this guy got to do with anything, and who is Black Bob.

Still playing at being Vlad my parochial chum?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »

Indeed NS's thread title completely misrepresents the article he links to and, indeed, the whole issue.

And that's from a guy that spent days complaining about people misrepresenting an article on an issue that was entirely focussed on Scotland.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
Indeed NS's thread title completely misrepresents the article he links to and, indeed, the whole issue.

And that's from a guy that spent days complaining about people misrepresenting an article on an issue that was entirely focussed on Scotland.

It's called hyperbole. It's a thing called a figure of speech. It's a lighthearted headline. I understand that you are struggling with this. You need to have  quiet time, some warm milk and a biscuit, probably a rich tea.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »
Still completely incomprehensible - what has this guy got to do with anything, and who is Black Bob.

Still playing at being Vlad my parochial chum?
Just a little play on your typo.

As for the renowned Black Bob, see reply #20.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 08:14:22 AM »

It's called hyperbole. It's a thing called a figure of speech.
Exactly the sorts of things you laid into all sorts of posters about on the Scottish child abuse thread. So OK for you to use hyperbole and misrepresentation, but not for others eh - there's a word for that, sadly doesn't begin with 'p'.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
Just a little play on your typo.
I think most of us here understand who I meant when I used the term 'Vlad'.

Renowned to whom? Never heard of the chap.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
Just read that post - the likeness to Vlad is becoming uncanny. Has he hacked in to your account.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »
I think most of us here understand who I meant when I used the term 'Vlad'.
Renowned to whom? Never heard of the chap..
Did you read reply #20? If you did and you are still struggling, can I suggest you find someone who has this odd thing called a 'sense of humour' and who understands figurative language and get them to talk you through it s-l-ow-l-y.

And yes, I understood you meant our Vlad but was given you had missed a 's' out was punning on it sounding like the first name of the estimable Mr Vladek Sheybal.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »
Did you read reply #20? If you did and you are still struggling, can I suggest you find someone who has this odd thing called a 'sense of humour' and who understands figurative language and get them to talk you through it s-l-ow-l-y.
Pure Vlad - and he too seems pretty unaware when he is being wound up.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
And yes, I understood you meant our Vlad but was given you had missed a 's' out was punning on it sounding like the first name of the estimable Mr Vladek Sheybal.
Blimey and you are the one accusing me of failing to have a 'sense of humour' - 'pot/kettle' - look that beings with 'p' too. Don't need to use the 'h'-word at all.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 08:29:14 AM »
Pure Vlad - and he too seems pretty unaware when he is being wound up.
I can thank you for letting me know how Dennis Healey felt when he used the phrase 'savaged by a dead sheep'

floo

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
I wonder if Ryanair will go into administration, I can't see too many people queuing up to fly with them? 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
Blimey and you are the one accusing me of failing to have a 'sense of humour' - 'pot/kettle' - look that beings with 'p' too. Don't need to use the 'h'-word at all.
It's not an accusation, darling, simply, stating a fact. Anyway do you have anything to say about Ryanair? Is this a step too far, or will people stay with them?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 08:33:42 AM »
I wonder if Ryanair will go into administration, I can't see too many people queuing up to fly with them?
oh you, and your pesky talking about the topic!

I think most people go with the cheapest flight available on the route, but the loss of reputation in actually delivering flights must be significant.  Given the margins in airlines, it wouldn't take that much.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:40:04 AM by Nearly Sane »

floo

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 08:36:10 AM »
oh you, and your pesky talking about the topic!

I think most people go with the cheapest flight available on the route, but the loss of reputation in actually delivering flights must be significant.  Given the margins in airlines, it wouldn't taket that much.

:P

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »
We flew with Ryanair about 15 years ago, never again, we were not impressed with its performance. It seems to have got much worse as the years have gone by.

I use Ryanair two or three times a year. For what is effectively a bus service, I find them entirely satisfactory. If nothing else, the aircraft they use are modern and are purchased directly from Boeing. I recall flying with BMIbaby and finding out that my aircraft had been about 15 years old and had three previous owners.

To be fair to Ryanair, their service and performance has improved considerably over the last few years. However, if you are not fortunate, on some flights which arrive at their destination on time they still play their bloody "Another on time arrival for RYANAIR" fanfare.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
Anyway do you have anything to say about Ryanair? Is this a step too far, or will people stay with them?
I suspect Ryanair have misjudged this badly.

The starting point issue of pilots would have increased costs and therefore made some currently marginally profitable routes unprofitable. I think Ryanair calculated that by cutting some routes, presumably the least profitable, they might actually cut losses. The thinking being that they'd scrap a route that would otherwise now be losing money and all they'd have to give back was the cost the customer paid to Ryanair.

What they clearly seemed to have failed to understand is that their obligation goes beyond giving money back, but to booking customers onto alternative flights, likely to be with other providers and at much greater cost. That is going to be extremely costly and I hope passengers hold firm in demanding their legal right to be booked on an alternative flight.

There will now also be reputation all damage, meaning less bookings, which will make further flights unprofitable potentially leading to a kind of chain reaction.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the whole company collapsing as their business model is based in flights being effectively full as the first block of tickets see sold at a loss only the last few generate the profit.

Walter

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »
I can thank you for letting me know how Dennis Healey felt when he used the phrase 'savaged by a dead sheep'
NS , I think you do a great job in keeping this message board alive . Probably top of the list of thread starters , more power to you mate !!! :D :D :D

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »
But Dennis Healey was an intellectual heavyweight and often rather humorous.

Reminds me of another famous quote - this one from Lloyd Bentsen😉
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:53:16 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
Ryanair are notoriously bad employers.

FWIW I would rather pay forty squid with Easy Jet than twenty squid with Ryanair.