Author Topic: #TakeAKnee  (Read 1754 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
#TakeAKnee
« on: October 11, 2017, 02:52:35 PM »

Interesting article on the #TakeAKnee protest and Colin Kaepernick. As someone who doesn't stand during the National Anthem as I see it as mere flummery, I find the whole idea that this is disrespectful odd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/41530732

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: #TakeAKnee
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »
Me too; it has always seemed to me that the Americans have an almost twee-like attachment to their national anthem and flag.

I once went to a baseball game (in Clearwater) and was amazed when before the game started someone came on to the pitch (or whatever they call it) and screeched the national anthem while the (presumably) US natives in the crowd all held their hands over their hearts.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe, so decided to do both. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:29:34 PM by Gordon »

floo

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »
I am glad that on the whole Brits aren't as wrapped around in our flag and patriotic fervour as the Americans appear to be.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »
And children, daily, at school, are required to pledge loyalty to the flag - is that not so?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 05:59:39 PM »
And children, daily, at school, are required to pledge loyalty to the flag - is that not so?
Not quite

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance_(United_States)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:27:44 AM »
This morning on my facebook feed the following appeared.

If you are forced to stand while everybody sings a song, it's not the Land of the Free. If you don't have the guts to take a knee in protest while everybody is singing a song, it's not the Home of the Brave.

By the way, this standing during the National Anthem before a football game is actually a fairly recent thing. It used to be that they either didn't have the national anthem (why would you, we don't at Premier League matches) or the teams didn't come out until after it had been sung. The thing was started at the request of the US Veterans Association as a means of raising awareness of the plight of US armed forces veterans. This is why people like True p are claiming taking a knee disrespects the military.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »
American patriotism is drummed into American children right from their start in school.

Surely it is one of the strategies adopted to try and build a single nation out of many from disparate origins?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

floo

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »
American patriotism is drummed into American children right from their start in school.

Surely it is one of the strategies adopted to try and build a single nation out of many from disparate origins?

How awful. A person should be able to look at their country objectively, warts and all.

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »
I had a teacher at infant school who has us singing Rule Britannia and There'll Always Be An England every day. I look back on it with mild bemusement.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
I had a teacher at infant school who has us singing Rule Britannia and There'll Always Be An England every day. I look back on it with mild bemusement.
We had to sing Dainty Wee Daisy. The world would be a much better place if World leaders sang it every morning.

floo

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »
We had to sing Dainty Wee Daisy. The world would be a much better place if World leaders sang it every morning.

I have never heard of that one.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
Dainty Wee Daisy
Woke up with the sun.
“Up,” said the Birdie,
“Morning’s begun.”

Pretty Wee Daisy
Lifted her head.
“I am so thirsty,
Birdie,” she said.

Dainty Wee Daisy
Saw the shy frown,
Heard little raindrops
Hurrying down.

Grateful Wee Daisy
Looked down from the sod,
Said in a whisper,
“Thank you, Dear God.”

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 12:32:47 PM »
It's as though it was written for you, Vlad  :D
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 01:33:10 PM »
Dainty Wee Daisy
Woke up with the sun.
“Up,” said the Birdie,
“Morning’s begun.”

Pretty Wee Daisy
Lifted her head.
“I am so thirsty,
Birdie,” she said.

Dainty Wee Daisy
Saw the shy frown,
Heard little raindrops
Hurrying down.

Grateful Wee Daisy
Looked down from the sod,
Said in a whisper,
“Thank you, Dear God.”

Funny that I never came across that one, as nursery rhymes were a feature of childhood when I was small.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:38:31 PM by Floo »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »
Funny that I never came across that one

Neither did I and, reading the lyrics, that is a fact for which I am grateful.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
I have never heard of it before today. The lyric was easy to fine, the melody not. It does not appear in YouTube - except for a reference to a 2 hour+ collection of nursery songs. Since my (what I presume to be) sanity is precious to me I chose not to subject myself to mental torture.

I think that - because he brought it to our attention - Vlad should record it and then put it on YouTube. The artistic and cultural experience may result in us re-evaluating Vlad's contributions to this forum.