Author Topic: Money or integrity?  (Read 5265 times)

floo

Money or integrity?
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:18 PM »
If you were offered a great deal of money to do something, which went against your moral integrity would you accept or refuse it?

I would definitely refuse it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Money or intergrity?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
If you were offered a great deal of money to do something, which went against your moral integrity would you accept or refuse it?

Surely it depends on your circumstances? If you were starving and your child would die, if you didn't accept the money?

floo

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
Surely it depends on your circumstances? If you were starving and your child would die, if you didn't accept the money?

Even then I think I would have to refuse it, but of course not being in that situation I can't say for sure.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:29 PM »

Depends on what was asked of you and what your situation is: sounds like you're asking about Consequentialism vs Deontology.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »
Even then I think I would have to refuse it, but of course not being in that situation I can't say for sure.
So your morals do not include saving your child from death? Morality is surely a balance of things, not s single absolute question?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
Depends on the seriousness of the moral trangression I was being asked to perform.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »
Depends on what was asked of you and what your situation is: sounds like you're asking about Consequentialism vs Deontology.
Show-off.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walter

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:58:15 PM »

short of killing someone ,heights , and the ability to get away with it , show me the money .

floo

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »
So your morals do not include saving your child from death? Morality is surely a balance of things, not s single absolute question?

I would not save myself or my child from death if it meant me doing something heinous like murdering someone or human trafficking, for instance.

I wasn't thinking of extreme circumstances when I composed my OP, although I should have guessed someone would have thrown that into the pot. ::)

So being more specific, if for instance, you were asked to lie, or take part in a scam in order to earn a very large sum of money would you do so? I wouldn't.

Walter

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
oh! and a TV advert for Go compare , I wouldn't do that . ;)

Walter

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
I would not save myself or my child from death if it meant me doing something heinous like murdering someone or human trafficking, for instance.

I wasn't thinking of extreme circumstances when I composed my OP, although I should have guessed someone would have thrown that into the pot. ::)

So being more specific, if for instance, you were asked to lie, or take part in a scam in order to earn a very large sum of money would you do so? I wouldn't.
Floo, I'm glad I'm not one of your children.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 02:04:43 PM »

Isn't letting your child die when you could save it, heinous?

Ad to your question, say Anne Frank was in the attic and someone offered you money not to tell the Nazis where she was, are you saying you would still tell them she was upstairs?

floo

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 02:10:10 PM »
Isn't letting your child die when you could save it, heinous?

Ad to your question, say Anne Frank was in the attic and someone offered you money not to tell the Nazis where she was, are you saying you would still tell them she was upstairs?

So are you saying you would kill someone else to save your child?

I wouldn't have let on to the Nazis that Anne Frank was in my attic, I certainly wouldn't have taken any money for doing so.

Shaker

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
A great many parents say that (not a few have done it), and I'm more than a little suspicious of those who aver otherwise.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »

I wouldn't have let on to the Nazis that Anne Frank was in my attic, I certainly wouldn't have taken any money for doing so.
So you would have lied to save someone else's child but not your own? Odd!

And where did I say that I would kill someone?

floo

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 02:40:41 PM »
So you would have lied to save someone else's child but not your own? Odd!

And where did I say that I would kill someone?

I didn't say I would lie for Anne Frank. I   said I wouldn't tell the Nazis where she was, but if I had to lie, in those extreme circumstances that would be the right thing to do as the Nazis were evil scum.

Killing an innocent person  to save my own child would be heinous.

Enki

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
At sometime in the 1980s, when football pools were still popular, we had a pools syndicate in the staffroom(I was a teacher). All the members were men. Two of the female staff wanted to join but the person running it said that they weren't welcome. I objected to this, and when the women started their own syndicate instead, I decided to join them rather than be with the all male syndicate. About 3 weeks later, the men's syndicate had a win, which amounted to about £800 per person. I was the butt of quite a few jokes following that win. :)  Looking back on it, I don't feel any resentment, just a humorous episode in my life, and I don't regret what I did at all, even though I lost out on a considerable amount of money. Mind you, it has crossed my mind that if there is some sort of a god, he was definitely misogynistic. ;)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

floo

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »
At sometime in the 1980s, when football pools were still popular, we had a pools syndicate in the staffroom(I was a teacher). All the members were men. Two of the female staff wanted to join but the person running it said that they weren't welcome. I objected to this, and when the women started their own syndicate instead, I decided to join them rather than be with the all male syndicate. About 3 weeks later, the men's syndicate had a win, which amounted to about £800 per person. I was the butt of quite a few jokes following that win. :)  Looking back on it, I don't feel any resentment, just a humorous episode in my life, and I don't regret what I did at all, even though I lost out on a considerable amount of money. Mind you, it has crossed my mind that if there is some sort of a god, he was definitely misogynistic. ;)

Whilst I don't approve of gambling, you did the right thing, by standing up for your principles.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »

I didn't say I would lie for Anne Frank. I   said I wouldn't tell the Nazis where she was, but if I had to lie, in those extreme circumstances that would be the right thing to do as the Nazis were evil scum.

Killing an innocent person  to save my own child would be heinous.
So you believe in lying under certain circumstances.

And who said anything about killing again? Surely allowing your child to die for, say you not stealing bread, which is a lie,  is heinous?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
Whilst I don't approve of gambling, you did the right thing, by standing up for your principles.
So is the right thing standing by your principles? So if your principles were to make money, it would be right to stand by them?

floo

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »
So you believe in lying under certain circumstances.

And who said anything about killing again? Surely allowing your child to die for, say you not stealing bread, which is a lie,  is heinous?

I thought you implied killing, if I misread your post I apologise.

floo

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
So is the right thing standing by your principles? So if your principles were to make money, it would be right to stand by them?

PEDANT! ::)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
I thought you implied killing, if I misread your post I apologise.

You mean when I wrote

'Isn't letting your child die when you could save it, heinous?' Don't see how.

BUT if the choice was save my child or someone else died? Save my child!!!! In an instant.

If the choice is as above why would you condemn an innocent, your child, to death?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
PEDANT! ::)

No, pointing out that you are stating something illogical isn't pedantry. Pointing out you misspelled something would be.  ;)

Shaker

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
I give you two great thinkers on the subject:

"Morals? Can't afford 'em, guvnor." - George Bernard Shaw

"A conscience is nice, but business is business." - Derek Edward Trotter.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.