Author Topic: Money or integrity?  (Read 5251 times)

Walter

Re: Money or intergrity?
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
No, pointing out that you are stating something illogical isn't pedantry. Pointing out you misspelled something would be.  ;)
I used to have a lovely pedant, wore it round my neck for years until someone offered me a lot of money for it .

floo

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 03:56:53 PM »
You mean when I wrote

'Isn't letting your child die when you could save it, heinous?' Don't see how.

BUT if the choice was save my child or someone else died? Save my child!!!! In an instant.

If the choice is as above why would you condemn an innocent, your child, to death?

As I have said before it depends what I would have to do to save my child, if it meant killing an innocent person, no way!

Robbie

Re: Money or integrity?
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 04:05:41 PM »
If you were offered a great deal of money to do something, which went against your moral integrity would you accept or refuse it?

I would definitely refuse it.

Would depend what it was, how serious I considered the issue to be.  There are issues on which I would not compromise, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do anything that would hurt someone else for example. but others with grey areas.  So who knows?  As NS said a lot would depend on personal circumstances as well.  As things are I don't need money, it would be different if I did.  Principles can go out of the window if you're poor.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Walter

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »
Would depend what it was, how serious I considered the issue to be.  There are issues on which I would not compromise, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do anything that would hurt someone else for example. but others with grey areas.  So who knows?  As NS said a lot would depend on personal circumstances as well.  As things are I don't need money, it would be different if I did.  Principles can go out of the window if you're poor.
and poor principles can come in through the window if you're rich

Robbie

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 05:02:34 PM »
Indeed they can, no-one is exempt.
Would that we were all moderately comfortable and content. Temptations could still creep in through the cracks though not necessarily financial.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 05:08:11 PM »
short of killing someone ,heights , and the ability to get away with it , show me the money .
If someone offers me a fortune to push you off a very tall building when nobody is looking, I'm in!  ;)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Robbie

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
So being more specific, if for instance, you were asked to lie, or take part in a scam in order to earn a very large sum of money would you do so? I wouldn't.

I guessed you meant something along those lines - not lying to save someone's life, we'd all do that at a push. 

Agree, I wouldn't scam but I don't need a large sum of money. I can understand the temptation for someone in a desperate financial situation, especially if the scam was relatively moderate and wouldn't cause others to be impoverished (just inconvenienced). I'm being fanciful there but there must be 'small' scams.  No-one has asked me to take part in one and are not likely to anyway but I would have no interest. If I did I'd get caught, end up in jail, ruined, everything lost......not worth it, apart from moral considerations.

floo

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 05:14:03 PM »
If someone offers me a fortune to push you off a very tall building when nobody is looking, I'm in!  ;)

There is always an exception to every rule, even mine, but I wouldn't need to be paid! ;D ;D ;D ;D

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 08:11:58 PM »
If you were offered a great deal of money to do something, which went against your moral integrity would you accept or refuse it?

Floo, I think I know what this is about..... and just for the record, I think you did the right thing.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Walter

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
There is always an exception to every rule, even mine, but I wouldn't need to be paid! ;D ;D ;D ;D
and finally your true colours are revealed !
The grinning faces hide nothing

Robbie

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 09:06:45 PM »
Sad to end up that way, Walter. Not only expendable but cheap  ;D.

Walter

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »
Sad to end up that way, Walter. Not only expendable but cheap  ;D.
it would appear so , ah well ! 😢

Robbie

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »
Not really, they don't mean it.

BeRational

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2017, 10:31:31 PM »

Depends how bad it was and how much money was on offer, and if I would get away with it.

Gimme some details.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Walter

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2017, 10:56:05 PM »
Not really, they don't mean it.
you're too kind and I think they do .

floo

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
Depends how bad it was and how much money was on offer, and if I would get away with it.

Gimme some details.

I hope you are joking! :o

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2017, 07:12:52 PM »

As John Cleese once said, "This is a historic moment"

I agree 100% with your stance!
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.