Author Topic: Antibiotics  (Read 3067 times)

floo

Antibiotics
« on: October 23, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 03:04:40 PM by Nearly Sane »

Shaker

Re: Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
Yes, it's a serious concern. The classic case of being a victim of their own success ... although in actual fact it's humans who will end up as the victims.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walter

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
Yes, it's a serious concern. The classic case of being a victim of their own success ... although in actual fact it's humans who will end up as the victims.
not only humans .A perfect example of evolution in action,  for all those religious science deniers out there

Rhiannon

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 05:07:52 PM »
Existing antibiotics are being engineered to get round this. In the future there will be improved and stronger antibiotics available. In the meantime though...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/23/the-superantibiotics-that-could-save-us-from-bacteria-apocalypse
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:11:14 PM by Rhiannon »

Robbie

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
Good for you. Agree about 'sniffles', doesn't make sense as antibiotics don't work on viruses.
A lot of us and our children would be dead without them though, they are good if used properly.
What Rhiannon said.  There is constant research into changing existing and developing new antibiotics so w'ere not damned to oblivion just yet.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Robbie

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
You did right, statins are dangerous for a lot of people.
You're right to question everything a doctor prescribes. We all need a sieve at times.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:37:49 PM »
We survived before antibiotics were discovered; I'm sure we'll survive if they all become useless and no replacement is in place.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Robbie

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »
A lot of people didn't survive though, Genial. History is rife with stories of people of all ages dying of infections including babies and children. TB also killed people. I wouldn't want to go back to those times thank you.
Antibiotics are good but shouldn't be overused.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

Antibiotics are not just about common throat and stomach infections.   In any surgery however small, the chances of infections are very high. Without antibiotics most people would not survive surgeries.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
We must not forget, too, that one of the problems with the use of antibiotics was their routine use in some countries for disease prevention in animals being raised for food consumption. I believe (confirmation or denial requested) that in some places (USA suggested) that cows were producing milk containing traces of antibiotics which had been routinely administered to prevent mastitis.

I think that Rhiannon is correct in stating that as the genomes of various bacteria are becoming better understood that new forms of antibacterial drugs are being engineered. We must hope, for future generations, that these are used appropriately and not enthusiastically overused as antibiotics have been in the past.

Quote from: Wikipedia
As Sir Henry Harris put it succinctly in 1998:

Without Fleming, no Chain or Florey; without Florey, no Heatley; without Heatley, no penicillin.

Yet while Fleming, Florey and Chain jointly received the Nobel prize for their work in 1945, Heatley's contribution was not fully recognized for another 45 years. It was only in 1990 that he was awarded the unusual distinction of an honorary Doctorate of Medicine from Oxford University, the first given to a non-medic in Oxford's 800-year history.

Alexander Fleming is rightly celebrated for his serendipitous discovery of penicillin, but it was Florey's Oxford team who really produced the workable drug. And then Churchill's wartime government gave it freely to the Americans to produce commercially. Americans then tried to claim that penicillin was an American achievement.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »
We survived before antibiotics were discovered;
Lots of people didn't.

I'm sure we'll survive if they all become useless and no replacement is in place.
Lots of people won't.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 08:03:17 PM »
Lots of people didn't.
In some remarkably unpleasant ways.
Lots of people won't.
See above.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Robbie

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »
I just caught part of an advert on Tv about the over use of antibiotics so it's topical but I've heard same message for years.
Agree with all the above four posts. We'd be far worse off, if not dead, without them so shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I certainly wouldn't have surgery without antibiotic cover.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Lots of people didn't [survive before antibiotics].
Lots of people won't [survive their demise].
Quite. I'm not suggesting that there's no cause for concern, just that it's not quite a looming apocalypse.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walter

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 10:38:59 AM »
Quite. I'm not suggesting that there's no cause for concern, just that it's not quite a looming apocalypse.
I tend to agree,about the looming apocalypse . As long as me and mine are not involved , it could provide the answer to global over population especially in underdeveloped countries
A 50% fall in population during which time new antis are developed would clear the decks and give the rest of us a better chance of a decent life .

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
I tend to agree,about the looming apocalypse . As long as me and mine are not involved [...]
I'm afraid you don't get to choose.

Walter

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »
I'm afraid you don't get to choose.
unfortunately you are right!  ;)

Walter

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »
So if people in underdeveloped countries are wiped out that is of no matter as long as you and yours are fine. If that is what you mean, you are a nasty piece of work! >:(
I certainly am but my integrity is intact.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 02:29:01 PM »
I tend to agree,about the looming apocalypse . As long as me and mine are not involved , it could provide the answer to global over population especially in underdeveloped countries
A 50% fall in population during which time new antis are developed would clear the decks and give the rest of us a better chance of a decent life .
Usually when people come up with some radical idea to significantly reduce the World population, I say "after you".

If 50% of the population of the World died off, it would not be a pleasant experience for those left behind. The World economy would certainly collapse and there wouldn't even be enough people left to bury all the bodies.

Furthermore, if antibiotics suddenly became ineffective, it would affect the developed world disproportionately more. In many of those underdeveloped countries, the people already do not have access to antibiotics.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walter

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
Usually when people come up with some radical idea to significantly reduce the World population, I say "after you".

If 50% of the population of the World died off, it would not be a pleasant experience for those left behind. The World economy would certainly collapse and there wouldn't even be enough people left to bury all the bodies.

Furthermore, if antibiotics suddenly became ineffective, it would affect the developed world disproportionately more. In many of those underdeveloped countries, the people already do not have access to antibiotics.
according to an online test I am 34% misanthropic, does that help?  ;)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 09:25:50 PM »
You didn't need to take a test to tell us that. Still I'm surprised it's that low ;)
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walter

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
You didn't need to take a test to tell us that. Still I'm surprised it's that low ;)
actually, so am I  ;)

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 06:12:33 AM »

Don't you mean high?    ::)

Walter

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 07:44:15 AM »
Don't you mean high?    ::)
thing is ,I'm in a much better mood today.......so far  ;D ;D ;D

and its so lovely to see you on this fine day . Can you see the mist on the Trent this morning ?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 08:17:20 AM »
thing is ,I'm in a much better mood today.......so far  ;D ;D ;D

and its so lovely to see you on this fine day . Can you see the mist on the Trent this morning ?

To be able to see the mist on the Trent I would need vision like Clark Kent's. There wasn't much on the Avon about 30 minutes ago.