Author Topic: The philosophy of trees  (Read 4114 times)

Walter

Re: The philosophy of trees
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
Pretty article

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/tree-philosophy-sheffield-tree-massacre-garden-of-eden-australian-rain-forest-a8008391.html
Oh My Effing G , I just read all of that and could feel my body begin to turn its self inside out at all that unnecessary flowery poetic nonsense. thanks for that.
However I know Sheffield very well and what is happening there is an abomination , the council is there to serve the people not do as it fucking likes . 
And last year I was in the Qld rain forest too, unfathomable and full of creatures that want to kill you . one of those places that once visited has a profound affect on you for the rest of your life

I like trees .

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
I have no understanding of what the f'ing Sheffield Council think they are doing.

Walter

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »
Pretty article

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/tree-philosophy-sheffield-tree-massacre-garden-of-eden-australian-rain-forest-a8008391.html
my mum and dad now form part of the 200 year old oak tree in my sisters garden. I go and talk to them sometimes !

Walter

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:36:33 PM »
I have no understanding of what the f'ing Sheffield Council think they are doing.
I have seriously considered physically going there and joining the fight to preserve them . if you've ever been there you will understand why there is so much aggravation going on

floo

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
I think swinging from trees must be in my DNA. I couldn't resist climbing one of the trees on our property when I was a kid, even though I fell out of it twice! ::)

I was selected to plant a tree in our parish when I was at my primary school in the 50s. I can't remember what the tree planting ceremony was about, however I was gratified to see the tree was still in place when I last visited my home island 4 years ago. :)

At each of the many properties we have owned over our 48 years of marriage, we have planted trees as we have felt it important to do so. At our previous property we had a lovely monkey puzzle tree we put in when we first moved there. It grew quite tall, I was really fed up to discover the new owners had massacred it, for no good purpose that I could ascertain. >:(

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »
Why did you feel it important to plant trees?

floo

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »

Not only do they enhance the environment, they also help in removing carbon dioxide from the air, apparently.

Having said that I do wish people who have tall trees on their property would ensure they are safe, and not likely to fall and cause injury or death.

Walter

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
it was probably like that fella in Close Encounters who was compelled to build a mountain out of mashed spuds

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »
This caused me to think of events about a decade ago in France.

Travellers through France always praised the the plane trees lining thoroughfares, giving welcome shade from the Midi sun to people in their cars.

And then ...  The trees started to disappear. The disappearance was due, it would seem, to the rather high death rate from motorists crashing their cars into them. The fact that the drivers may have been over-tired or inebriated was of no consequence. French citizens have the right not to be killed by trees standing by the road side. That they were tired or that they were drunk was not important. They had a right to life.

The trees, therefore, were guilty of killing French citizens and had to go.

There was a BBC Radio 4 programme on the subject called "The Killer Trees of France."
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Walter

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »
This caused me to think of events about a decade ago in France.

Travellers through France always praised the the plane trees lining thoroughfares, giving welcome shade from the Midi sun to people in their cars.

And then ...  The trees started to disappear. The disappearance was due, it would seem, to the rather high death rate from motorists crashing their cars into them. The fact that the drivers may have been over-tired or inebriated was of no consequence. French citizens have the right not to be killed by trees standing by the road side. That they were tired or that they were drunk was not important. They had a right to life.

The trees, therefore, were guilty of killing French citizens and had to go.

There was a BBC Radio 4 programme on the subject called "The Killer Trees of France."
it must be 15 years since I travelled round France , are you telling me most of the roadside trees have now gone?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 07:41:59 PM »
I wouldn't like to speculate on the percentage - but many. They are still around but in nothing like the quantity of 20 years ago.

In some cases plane trees are being removed because of disease. An interesting case is the Canal du Midi, along which lots of trees are being removed. They are suffering from a disease imported by US servicemen on D-Day - their ammunition boxes were infested. It took half a century for the disease to migrate from Normandy to Languedoc.

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »
While we're on one of my favourite subjects ... http://tinyurl.com/y7m8zmr7
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »
An imaginative project started by a millionaire publisher is developing in Warwickshire between Stratford-upon-Avon and Evesham. The Heart of England Forest lies mainly to the west of the village of Dorsington, which was the home of Felix Dennis.

Felix was one of the instigators of the Schoolkids Oz - when a group of teenage boys and girls were given responsibilty for an edition of the magazine Ox. (The resulting magazine was so ... err ... unusual that the proprietors were sent to prison.)  Felix received a less harsh sentence than his colleagues because the judge believed him less intelligent than the others. He became a very successful and rich magazine publisher.

He used his wealth to buy land around his home and to plant it as a native English forest. Parts of it are now well-wooded and worth visiting. There are extensive permissive footpaths through the Forest. Felix's grave is in a clearing, surmounted by a large rock and a larger than life statue. Land is being planted with new trees and new plantations have been established at Coughton, between Studley and Alcester, and at Honeybourne near Evesham.

Shaker

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »
An imaginative project started by a millionaire publisher is developing in Warwickshire between Stratford-upon-Avon and Evesham. The Heart of England Forest lies mainly to the west of the village of Dorsington, which was the home of Felix Dennis.

Felix was one of the instigators of the Schoolkids Oz - when a group of teenage boys and girls were given responsibilty for an edition of the magazine Ox. (The resulting magazine was so ... err ... unusual that the proprietors were sent to prison.)  Felix received a less harsh sentence than his colleagues because the judge believed him less intelligent than the others. He became a very successful and rich magazine publisher.

He used his wealth to buy land around his home and to plant it as a native English forest. Parts of it are now well-wooded and worth visiting. There are extensive permissive footpaths through the Forest. Felix's grave is in a clearing, surmounted by a large rock and a larger than life statue. Land is being planted with new trees and new plantations have been established at Coughton, between Studley and Alcester, and at Honeybourne near Evesham.
One of those trees has my name on it.

Or my bank account number at any rate.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
What branch of philosophy does this fall under?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Shaker

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
I wouldn't worry yourself unduly; if the thread veers too wildly off topic I'm sure it'll be truncated.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
Philosophtree

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
You poor sap
I won't arbour a grudge over that comment.
Albert Einstein

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »
I won't arbour a grudge over that comment.
I think that might be a poplar approach, and I would say that it's oaky for me, and doesn't leave me in the larch.

Shaker

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
Trust yew lot  ::)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Fir fucks's sake, leave it a lime!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 06:49:20 PM »
Ah, punning on the subject of the thread. It's a bit of an old chestnut.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply