Author Topic: 'Western philosophy is racist'  (Read 5838 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
'Western philosophy is racist'
« on: October 31, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: 'Western philosophy is racist'
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »
Bollocks.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
Bollocks.

Thank you for your 'well thought out' response. I take it given you disagree with the article, you agree with Kant's classifications on race? You may not, but the 'pithiness' of your response makes it difficult to draw out any form of  nuance.

Walter

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »
Thank you for your 'well thought out' response. I take it given you disagree with the article, you agree with Kant's classifications on race? You may not, but the 'pithiness' of your response makes it difficult to draw out any form of  nuance.
ornithologists know a lot about ducks , but ducks know nothing at all about ornithologists.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
ornithologists know a lot about ducks , but ducks know nothing at all about ornithologists.
You really shouldn't do yourself down like this. A little bit of positive thinking and I am sure you can be a swan.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
Think this is pretty much undeniable.

https://aeon.co/essays/why-the-western-philosophical-canon-is-xenophobic-and-racist

Is it still the case that philosophy departments ignore everything except European philosophy?

The idea that, in the 18th century, everybody thought philosophy originated in Africa or Asia or both, is quite intriguing.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
Is it still the case that philosophy departments ignore everything except European philosophy?

The idea that, in the 18th century, everybody thought philosophy originated in Africa or Asia or both, is quite intriguing.
For the first, I think the essay makes a reasonable case. I am sure there are courses with a wider span and it's 15 years since I took a course but my experience is yes they are hugely Western based. You might discuss the influence of eastern philosophy on Schopenhauer but that's generally about it and it is looked on as an aside. Confucius might make an appearance under some courses on legal and moral philosophy but I did a philosophy of art course at the OU and there was no mention of eastern ideas of art.

I think the second is a bit overly grand as a claim. The writer is making a specific case against Kant which I sort of agree with but I also think is overly bold.

Walter

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 05:15:10 PM »
You really shouldn't do yourself down like this. A little bit of positive thinking and I am sure you can be a swan.
excellent   ;D

I have no idea what I'm talking about !

anyway Fuck It has just started on the telly.   sorry, Flog It   ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:20:56 PM by Walter »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
That was the only response I felt a bloody silly statement like that deserved.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »
Would we accuse Western medicine of being racist because it ignored such Eastern ideas as Chakras, acupuncture, etc.? I think not. I'm sure that when Eastern philosophy has anything worthwhile to say, it is listened to in the West.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »
Would we accuse Western medicine of being racist because it ignored such Eastern ideas as Chakras, acupuncture, etc.? I think not. I'm sure that when Eastern philosophy has anything worthwhile to say, it is listened to in the West.
This reads like someone saying that when women say something worthwhile they will be given the vote. I note the asdumotuin that the West is the judge if what is worthwhile.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:36:14 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »
That was the only response I felt a bloody silly statement like that deserved.
Is it possible that you might deign to actually point out what you think is 'bloody silly'! Else it makes dialogue somewhat difficult, my small cashew nut.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:41:07 PM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
Thus reads like someone saying that when women say something worthwhile they will be given the vote. I note the asdumotuin that the West is the judge if what is worthwhile.
You have found an "asdumotuin" where none was intended. The only judge of any philosophy, Western or Eastern, is reason.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
You have found an "asdumotuin" where none was intended. The only judge of any philosophy, Western or Eastern, is reason.
No, the asdumotion was there in your post when you wrote it would 'listened to in the West'. But anyhoo please illustrate why an area where Trump is the de facto leader of the 'Western' world has reason , and Confucius should be ignored.

Walter

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
This reads like someone saying that when women say something worthwhile they will be given the vote. I note the asdumotuin that the West is the judge if what is worthwhile.
chuffin ' 'ell , have women been given the vote? they sneaked that one past me . Have they got something to say or what? I mean apart from stuff about handbags and hair doos.

and of course the west is the judge on what is worthwhile , otherwise it would be them ruling the planet wouldn't it , silly!

Walter

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »
NS

see, I told you id love this section  ;D

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 05:00:00 AM »

The very fact that Westerners position themselves as the people who decide such matters shows the inherent sense of superiority (racist or otherwise). 

But there are valid reasons for this, I don't deny.   The West has for several centuries been in the forefront of science, technology, military, wealth, communication and so on. They have therefore indulged in significant self publicity.  The others have been watching mutely from the sidelines. Fair enough, I suppose. Can't be helped.

Things are however changing. As other countries and other cultures come to the forefront in the coming decades, their ideas and philosophies will also become prominent. What might have seemed preposterous to the West some time ago will now begin to seem reasonable.

Its all about getting used to ideas. The mind has to expand sufficiently to accommodate new perspectives and new ways of looking at the world.

If you keep running the same old program again and again you will get the same results. If you run a different program you might get a different result. 

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »
Western philosophy gave us modern science and technology (a mixed blessing, I grant you),  and modern democracy. Eastern philosophy didn't.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:52:21 AM by Havelock Vetinari »

Walter

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 10:16:13 AM »

Things are however changing. As other countries and other cultures come to the forefront in the coming decades, their ideas and philosophies will also become prominent. What might have seemed preposterous to the West some time ago will now begin to seem reasonable.
No they won't, they will become lost to the annals of time otherwise they will not be taken seriously in a grownup world.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 04:47:08 AM »
Western philosophy gave us modern science and technology (a mixed blessing, I grant you),  and modern democracy. Eastern philosophy didn't.

Yes...so what?  It is not as if whatever we are having today is Utopian in any way.   Everything evolves and changes and so also will the present ideas and perspectives.  Coming generations will not think the way we do and their priorities and understanding of life could be very different from what many people today have. 

Civilization, culture and philosophy will not move in a linear fashion into some far away hyper scientific and hyper democratic world.  Life is cyclical.  Most of the old ideas will get renewed and will come back tailored to the times.

Eastern cultures have not produced Science and modern democracy....but they have produced a  holistic view of the world that integrates life experiences with the external world. Unlike Western philosophies that dissect and differentiate...Eastern philosophies always integrate and unite. I don't think many people in the West understand the importance of this way of thinking and about how crucial it is. 

A major shift in philosophical thinking towards integration is imperative and I would say, imminent.  The world cannot possibly continue with the present fragmented philosophy in which Spirituality and religion are fundamentally and in perpetual conflict with Science and technology.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 07:08:25 AM »
A major shift in philosophical thinking towards integration is imperative and I would say, imminent.  The world cannot possibly continue with the present fragmented philosophy in which Spirituality and religion are fundamentally and in perpetual conflict with Science and technology.

I suspect, Sriram, that it may be more the case that spirituality/religion will become progressively irrelevant and that any apparent conflict with science and technology will only concern those who subscribe to spirituality/religion. In those areas where religion is still influential it will take longer, but in areas like here in Scotland it is already the case that religious views aren't authoritative across society at large.

Rhiannon

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:00 AM »

So the Tao te Ching is a load of bollocks then?

I mean, clearly you've read it. You wouldn't be making such a sweeping statement on something you've no knowledge of.

Rhiannon

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 08:47:06 AM »
I suspect, Sriram, that it may be more the case that spirituality/religion will become progressively irrelevant and that any apparent conflict with science and technology will only concern those who subscribe to spirituality/religion. In those areas where religion is still influential it will take longer, but in areas like here in Scotland it is already the case that religious views aren't authoritative across society at large.

And yet we have Eastern spiritual ideas on mindfulness being embraced by the scientific community as being beneficial for mental and physical health for a good many people. In fact one idea that comes from mindfulness - that we aren't our thoughts but the observer of them - kicks cartesianism firmly into the long grass.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
So the Tao te Ching is a load of bollocks then?

I mean, clearly you've read it. You wouldn't be making such a sweeping statement on something you've no knowledge of.
Yes, I have read it, in translation at least. What of it?

Rhiannon

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 09:56:54 AM »
Yes, I have read it, in translation at least. What of it?

Do you think it has nothing to teach anyone? You said nothing worthwhile has come from Eastern philosophy.