Author Topic: 'Western philosophy is racist'  (Read 5850 times)

Shaker

Re: 'Western philosophy is racist'
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
I'm sure that when Eastern philosophy has anything worthwhile to say, it is listened to in the West.
What makes you think it isn't already? 
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walter

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
So the Tao te Ching is a load of bollocks then?

I mean, clearly you've read it. You wouldn't be making such a sweeping statement on something you've no knowledge of.
woman who cooks ham and peas in same pot ----dirty bitch !

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
Do you think it has nothing to teach anyone? You said nothing worthwhile has come from Eastern philosophy.
No, I didn't.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 06:02:17 AM »
I suspect, Sriram, that it may be more the case that spirituality/religion will become progressively irrelevant and that any apparent conflict with science and technology will only concern those who subscribe to spirituality/religion. In those areas where religion is still influential it will take longer, but in areas like here in Scotland it is already the case that religious views aren't authoritative across society at large.

This is another example of fragmented thinking.   Why is it always Spirituality OR Science?!  Why should one give way to the other? This is typical Western thinking....

This is because  people in the West  have this divisive and dissecting way of thinking. What I have called the Zoom-In mind set. In the East people have a Zoom -Out mindset which is naturally inclusive and integrative. It is a mindset issue.....the way the brain is probably wired.

https://tsriramrao.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/zoom-in-zoom-out/

I concede that the Zoom-In mindset has resulted in most of Science and Technology. But it is not meant for Philosophy.   

With more and more people from the East becoming prominent and influencing world philosophies, an integrative approach is more likely to be the future. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:05:57 AM by Sriram »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 07:58:35 AM »
This is another example of fragmented thinking.   Why is it always Spirituality OR Science?!  Why should one give way to the other? This is typical Western thinking....

This is because  people in the West  have this divisive and dissecting way of thinking. What I have called the Zoom-In mind set. In the East people have a Zoom -Out mindset which is naturally inclusive and integrative. It is a mindset issue.....the way the brain is probably wired.

I concede that the Zoom-In mindset has resulted in most of Science and Technology. But it is not meant for Philosophy.   

With more and more people from the East becoming prominent and influencing world philosophies, an integrative approach is more likely to be the future.

It isn't 'spirituality or science' for me though: I don't see that 'spirituality' is anything other than just what some people think, and as far as I can see 'spirituality' is far too woolly to represent a distinct philosophical perspective - especially where it comes across as being woo dressed up as profundity.

If it is abstract thinking on a macro rather than micro level then that is quite possible without adding a 'spiritual' label.

Walter

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 10:12:10 AM »

HI Sriram

I'm interested to know what your thoughts are regarding Deepak Chopra , the public speaker and advocate of alternative medicine

ekim

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
It isn't 'spirituality or science' for me though: I don't see that 'spirituality' is anything other than just what some people think, and as far as I can see 'spirituality' is far too woolly to represent a distinct philosophical perspective - especially where it comes across as being woo dressed up as profundity.

Ancient Chinese saying:  Do not despise the woolly for who is to say it will not be fashioned into a cardigan which will give warmth to all who wear it. ;)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 06:15:19 AM »
HI Sriram

I'm interested to know what your thoughts are regarding Deepak Chopra , the public speaker and advocate of alternative medicine

He lives somewhere in California, is a qualified endocrinologist and was a friend of the Beatles. He also does some research on Ayurveda. I don't know much more than that about him.

What you might consider as 'Alternative Medicine' is not 'alternative' for 1.3 billion people in India. It is the main system of medicine for a large section of the  population.   Most Indians, even the urban educated and rich elite, use Ayurveda for at least some of their ailments. 

In fact, the use of Ayurveda which had gone down dramatically during the 1960' to 1990's is now growing exponentially.  There are now more young qualified practitioners than every before. The Govt. is also directly working on research, documentation, certification and so on.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:46:05 AM by Sriram »

Walter

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 12:18:54 PM »

He lives somewhere in California, is a qualified endocrinologist and was a friend of the Beatles. He also does some research on Ayurveda. I don't know much more than that about him.

What you might consider as 'Alternative Medicine' is not 'alternative' for 1.3 billion people in India. It is the main system of medicine for a large section of the  population.   Most Indians, even the urban educated and rich elite, use Ayurveda for at least some of their ailments. 

In fact, the use of Ayurveda which had gone down dramatically during the 1960' to 1990's is now growing exponentially.  There are now more young qualified practitioners than every before. The Govt. is also directly working on research, documentation, certification and so on.
okay thanks for that.

Rhiannon

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
Unlike most people who dismiss Chopra's stuff as utter shit I've actually read some of it.

It's utter shit.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 03:34:44 PM »
Unlike most people who dismiss Chopra's stuff as utter shit I've actually read some of it.

It's utter shit.

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com

Walter

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com
love that link
It reminds me of the meanings of the clues in Ted Rogers 3 2 1
Family quiz show , classic !

Walter

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 07:26:11 PM »

It's utter shit.
fantastic , hahahah ! 😂👍

Walter

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »

Hi Sriram, have a look at this

https://youtu.be/OTVWMY8EZCA

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2017, 05:20:59 AM »
Hi Sriram, have a look at this

https://youtu.be/OTVWMY8EZCA

Hi Walter...

Sigh...! You are lumping in Spirituality with 'Magnet Man' and such things...?!!!

Long way to go...Walter!  ;)

Walter

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
Hi Walter...

Sigh...! You are lumping in Spirituality with 'Magnet Man' and such things...?!!!

Long way to go...Walter!  ;)
ahh! you crack me up . :D :D :D

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2017, 06:25:46 PM »
love that link
It reminds me of the meanings of the clues in Ted Rogers 3 2 1
Family quiz show , classic !
Brilliant show, Ted Rogers explaining the clues that make Heidegger look like a nursery rhyme. It may have been a new form of philosophy.

'My first is in cartilaginous
But the artichoke cannot hold
King David is a dancing
And so the story unfolds'
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:27:48 PM by Nearly Sane »

Rhiannon

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »
Brilliant show, Ted Rogers explaining the clues that make Heidegger look like a nursery rhyme. It may have been a new form of philosophy.

King David is a dancing

Challenge has this on late at night. I thought it’d be worth a look until I remembered it had ‘celebrity’ acts - in this case a racist comedian, some out of time dancers and (I think) Tony Christie.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
Challenge has this on late at night. I thought it’d be worth a look until I remembered it had ‘celebrity’ acts - in this case a racist comedian, some out of time dancers and (I think) Tony Christie.
To watch it you need the right drugs.  It is quite possibly the weirdest show ever made. I think when Plato talks about the shadows on the cave wall, this is what was the 'form'

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »

King David is a dancing
I believe 321 was originally French. If so, much is explained.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walter

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
To watch it you need the right drugs.  It is quite possibly the weirdest show ever made. I think when Plato talks about the shadows on the cave wall, this is what was the 'form'
I think i was one of those who could only wonder at the shadows until one day while working for a news paper i met the bloke who made the various incarnations of Dusty Bin and was given a tour of his workshop including a demonstration of a working Dusty.

It was only then I saw the light. The shadows disappeared and all was well with the world

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »

It's utter shit.

;D ;D ;D
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David