Author Topic: New species of orangutan  (Read 3703 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
New species of orangutan
« on: November 02, 2017, 06:03:41 PM »
Let's hope we don't kill this one off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/41847356

Shaker

Re: New species of orangutan
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 06:22:23 PM »
We will, most likely.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »
Yes, I fear you are correct

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »

Will you be flying out to recruit for religionethics?

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »

Have we killed any off? I don't think that we can beat ourselves up about Gigantopithecus.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
Have we killed any off? I don't think that we can beat ourselves up about Gigantopithecus.
There are 800 currently. They are the most endangered great ape species. We reduce orangutan habitat continually through our use of palm oil

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
Thank you for the clarification  :)

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
Will you be flying out to recruit for religionethics?
To find you a chum on the same intellectual level most likely!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 04:45:05 PM »
To find you a chum on the same intellectual level most likely!

How insulting!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
How insulting!
I apologise to the orangutans of the world.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »
I apologise to the orangutans of the world.

Those poor orang-utans must be devastated by that very rude remark of yours, I am so glad you have apologised to them. ;D

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 07:52:26 PM »
Those poor orang-utans must be devastated by that very rude remark of yours, I am so glad you have apologised to them. ;D
I hear they've declined the offer to post on religionethics because they only have dial up.

Walter

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 05:24:22 AM »

as I was reading the BBC article I had a thought wash over me

I wonder what they actually know, and how can we find out ? Do they know things we don't?
When they look at the stars do they know more about their place in the universe than we do ?
Secretly , I'd like to think they do and humans are not as smart as we like to think we are !!!

Shaker

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 06:20:04 AM »
Chimps and orangs are tricky to test for. We already know that humans are not as smart as they like to think they are.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
as I was reading the BBC article I had a thought wash over me

I wonder what they actually know, and how can we find out ? Do they know things we don't?
When they look at the stars do they know more about their place in the universe than we do ?
Secretly , I'd like to think they do and humans are not as smart as we like to think we are !!!

We are a weird species. We have been outstandingly cruel to orangutans, raping their habitat for a number of reasons, notably palm oil and because we can, mistreating individuals, beating them, torturing them, keeping them as 'pets' in cages so small that the bars have grown into them.

But some of us, fight for their protection and dedicate their life to looking after them at great personal danger.

Those times where I have been lucky enough to see into the eyes of an orangutan and being part of being observed as I observe, there has seem more in common between us than thousands of times I have done the same with members of my own species.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:53:27 AM by Nearly Sane »

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »
We are a weird species. We have been outstandingly cruel to orangutans, raping their habitat for a number of reasons, notably palm oil and because we can, mistreating individuals, beating them, torturing them, keeping them as 'pets' in cages so small that the bars have grown into them.

But some of us, fight for their protection and dedicate their life to looking after them at great personal danger.

Those times where I have been lucky enough to see into the eyes of an orangutan and being part of being observed as I observe, there has seem more in common between us than thousands of times I have done the same with members of my own species.
Amen.

So to speak.

Walter

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »

hmmmm ,and it makes me wonder

Stairway to heaven ........Led Zeppelin

SusanDoris

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 04:48:24 PM »
Tangent question: The title  is a new species of orangutan I understand that a new species can only be called that if it cannot interbreed with the other. Is this the case here?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
Tangent question: The title  is a new species of orangutan I understand that a new species can only be called that if it cannot interbreed with the other. Is this the case here?
That's the general approach but it's not actually correct, the concept of ring species shows this.

Shaker

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 05:08:59 PM »
Tangent question: The title  is a new species of orangutan I understand that a new species can only be called that if it cannot interbreed with the other.
That's Ernst Mayr's Biological Species Concept (stemming from IIRC about 1942), easily the best known and most widely held definition of species. However, defining a species is a notoriously tricky and slippery thing and the BSC doesn't hold in all cases. (It's no use with bacteria, for example).

Shaker

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
That's the general approach but it's not actually correct, the concept of ring species shows this.
[pedantry alert]Now don't go confusing things; you know that's a special case[/pedantry]

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 05:17:44 PM »
That's Ernst Mayr's Biological Species Concept (stemming from IIRC about 1942), easily the best known and most widely held definition of species. However, defining a species is a notoriously tricky and slippery thing and the BSC doesn't hold in all cases. (It's no use with bacteria, for example).

It gets confusing with humans too, the perpetual "lumpers" v "splitters" arguments.

SusanDoris

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »
Thank you for replies.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walter

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »
Or perhaps not

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/11/03/a-new-species-of-orangutan-i-doubt-it/
a brat link Jeremyp
As ever unless the media can sensationalise something it's not real "news"