Author Topic: Lower the Voting Age?  (Read 2959 times)

Shaker

Re: Lower the Voting Age?
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 11:31:23 PM »
The idea of taking exams in order to play a part in the running of society is peculiar to meritocracy.

The problem isn’t so much that voters can’t be trusted with their vote

That seems to be the problem for Jeremy, who implied as much.

but that politicians and leaders can’t be trusted not to lie.
That's never been any different.

If there's an issue of trust in play, it's in trusting people to know when they're being lied to. The general view of the political class and the esteem in which politicians broadly are held suggests that that trust isn't misplaced.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 08:37:22 AM »
The only rule I would have about voting as regards exams is that people who think you should pass exams for voting shouldn't have a vote.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 03:46:53 AM »
Which sounds an awful lot like aristocracy rather than democracy (demos, the people).
I think meritocracy would be a more appropriate name for it than aristocracy. But don't worry, my suggestion was mostly tongue in cheek.

However, I really don't think it is a good idea to let 16 year olds vote as a rule. I think you need to give them a chance to get some maturity.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walter

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »
However, I really don't think it is a good idea to let 16 year olds vote as a rule. I think you need to give them a chance to get some maturity.

I'm well old and I'm still waiting!!!!