Author Topic: ScienceMomsDoc.com  (Read 11370 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Walter

Re: ScienceMomsDoc.com
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
Hurrah, and also for any Science Dads

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kavinsenapathy/2017/11/06/science-moms-documentary-aims-to-shift-parenting-narrative-from-fear-to-facts/#187811d2aaaf
I really hope this does some good , its sad that its necessary though. The general publics' understanding of science is on about the same level as show and tell in a 6 year olds class at primary school . Even my niece who has a psychology degree and a young baby falls for all the shit and gets defensive when I try to explain ,so I just leave her to it .
Her partner's just as bad , we were talking about loosing weight , he thinks there are good calories and bad calories . At that point I changed the subject

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
Sorry, but if that article is anything to go by it’s partisan bollockry. Lumping together anti vaxxers and homeopathy with a reduction in toxic chemicals in the environment is, well, bad science. There is a reason why the EU is about to ban glyphosate.

Walter

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
Sorry, but if that article is anything to go by it’s partisan bollockry. Lumping together anti vaxxers and homeopathy with a reduction in toxic chemicals in the environment is, well, bad science. There is a reason why the EU is about to ban glyphosate.
it would seem this documentary is aimed at people (women) like you

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
it would seem this documentary is aimed at people (women) like you

Don’t patronise me. It’s bullshit to hide the effects of weed killers such as glyphosate by pretending its the same as using homeopathy.

And if you had an allergy that means you are shit scared every time you buy clothes because you don’t know what’s been used on the fabric finishes, and you’ve been told by a consultant not to fly or buy new furnishings, and to wash your hands after reading a magazine or newspaper, you’d question the wisdom of overloading our environment with unnecessary chemicals.

Do you think I’m fucking stupid?

Walter

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
Don’t patronise me. It’s bullshit to hide the effects of weed killers such as glyphosate by pretending its the same as using homeopathy.

And if you had an allergy that means you are shit scared every time you buy clothes because you don’t know what’s been used on the fabric finishes, and you’ve been told by a consultant not to fly or buy new furnishings, and to wash your hands after reading a magazine or newspaper, you’d question the wisdom of overloading our environment with unnecessary chemicals.

Do you think I’m fucking stupid?
I haven't seen the documentary , have you ? I'm only going on the write up about it and can only surmise that it will be helpful to its target audience in dispelling some myths .
I'm guessing your question at the end is rhetorical.

Rhiannon

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
I haven't seen the documentary , have you ? I'm only going on the write up about it and can only surmise that it will be helpful to its target audience in dispelling some myths .
I'm guessing your question at the end is rhetorical.

I know what you think of me, don't worry.

I made it clear in my first post on this that I was going by the write up. As the woman that wrote it is actually in it I'd guess its a fair representation. But as I'm not anti vaccination and I am anti homeopathy, and I'm pragmatic about organics and the like, I'm not sure I'd gain much from it.

Walter

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »
I know what you think of me, don't worry.

I made it clear in my first post on this that I was going by the write up. As the woman that wrote it is actually in it I'd guess its a fair representation. But as I'm not anti vaccination and I am anti homeopathy, and I'm pragmatic about organics and the like, I'm not sure I'd gain much from it.
actually you have no idea what I think of you !
So ill give you a clue ; on some subjects I hold you in high regard .
As regards the documentary , even though I have a science background, I'm pretty sure I would benefit from watchin it .

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
actually you have no idea what I think of you !
So ill give you a clue ; on some subjects I hold you in high regard .
As regards the documentary , even though I have a science background, I'm pretty sure I would benefit from watchin it .

Fair enough.

I get so frustrated when I'm told I'm a goopshite devotee, when the reality is that I have a very good science-y reason to take seriously the drive for a reduction in chemical overload in the environment. We don't need anti crease, easy care finishes or glossy paper or MDF.

We do need vaccinations and a ban on homeopathy, however.

Walter

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »
Fair enough.

I get so frustrated when I'm told I'm a goopshite devotee, when the reality is that I have a very good science-y reason to take seriously the drive for a reduction in chemical overload in the environment. We don't need anti crease, easy care finishes or glossy paper or MDF.

We do need vaccinations and a ban on homeopathy, however.
I wonder who calls you that? certainly wasn't me .
Not sure why you have a problem with MDF though . There is one particular thing which I have a problem with and that's fabric conditioner , its like pouring oil based 'pollution ' on nice clean clothes , its just wrong but people fall for the TV ads !

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
MDF, plywood, particleboard...all glued with formaldehyde.

Agree, fabric softener is of the devil. Haven't used it since I left home.

Another one..glade plug-ins.

Walter

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
MDF, plywood, particleboard...all glued with formaldehyde.

Agree, fabric softener is of the devil. Haven't used it since I left home.

Another one..glade plug-ins.
cant fault you there , talk about sneezing .

tbh normally I don't come in contact with these things in my lifestyle however I'm staying with my lovely sister at the moment (scented candles everywhere)

Rhiannon

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
cant fault you there , talk about sneezing .

tbh normally I don't come in contact with these things in my lifestyle however I'm staying with my lovely sister at the moment (scented candles everywhere)

I like natural stuff - essential oils and fresh air.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
Where in the article doesn't talk about not looking at toxicity as opposed to avoiding scare stories?

Rhiannon

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
Where in the article doesn't talk about not looking at toxicity as opposed to avoiding scare stories?

It’s not just talking about avoiding scars stories, it’s talking about the positives of GMOs, for example. Bit of an issue with a glyphosate ban.

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/roundup-ready-crops/

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 03:32:19 PM »
It’s not just talking about avoiding scars stories, it’s talking about the positives of GMOs, for example. Bit of an issue with a glyphosate ban.

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/roundup-ready-crops/
And the issue of glyphosate means that all GMOs are wrong?

Rhiannon

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
And the issue of glyphosate means that all GMOs are wrong?

No. But it means that there are legitimate concerns.

Likewise I have to live in an environment that is pretty much chemical free and it isn’t a trendy fucking fad. It’s boring as shit and it costs a fortune just to buy shampoo that won’t strip the skin off my scalp. If this chemical wasn’t so ubiquitous I wouldn’t have had an allergy triggered by over exposure.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
No. But it means that there are legitimate concerns.

Likewise I have to live in an environment that is pretty much chemical free and it isn’t a trendy fucking fad. It’s boring as shit and it costs a fortune just to buy shampoo that won’t strip the skin off my scalp. If this chemical wasn’t so ubiquitous I wouldn’t have had an allergy triggered by over exposure.
  And I don't think legitimate concerns are dismissed on the basis of the article.

Rhiannon

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
  And I don't think legitimate concerns are dismissed on the basis of the article.

I think it’s the patronising ‘natural isn’t best’ thing that pisses me off. Sometimes it is. Not always (my son is allergic to lanolin).

If you want people to engage don’t disappear up your own smugness. Someone who uses natural products isn’t necessarily a goopshitter.

Walter

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »
I think it’s the patronising ‘natural isn’t best’ thing that pisses me off. Sometimes it is. Not always (my son is allergic to lanolin).

If you want people to engage don’t disappear up your own smugness. Someone who uses natural products isn’t necessarily a goopshitter.
dog shit is a natural product but you wouldn't want to wash your hair in it, surely .

Rhiannon

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 04:00:21 PM »
dog shit is a natural product but you wouldn't want to wash your hair in it, surely .

I’m not aware that I said I did?

Walter

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 04:13:20 PM »
I’m not aware that I said I did?
I was just making a point

in fact I could list a whole page of natural products that would kill you before you could say gloopshit

its the misuse and misunderstanding of the term 'natural' that needs to be understood and also the term 'chemicals' really gets on my nerves
perhaps the documentary addresses this .

Rhiannon

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
I was just making a point

in fact I could list a whole page of natural products that would kill you before you could say gloopshit

its the misuse and misunderstanding of the term 'natural' that needs to be understood and also the term 'chemicals' really gets on my nerves
perhaps the documentary addresses this .

The thing I’m allergic to is naturally occurring, but it gets over used in manufacturing in ways that are unnecessary.

Walter

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »
The thing I’m allergic to is naturally occurring, but it gets over used in manufacturing in ways that are unnecessary.
have you been tested for the actual enzymes that cause the problem rather than the name of the substance its self ?

Rhiannon

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
have you been tested for the actual enzymes that cause the problem rather than the name of the substance its self ?

I don’t even know what that means. Tbh I think I was pretty lucky to get the testing that I did on the NHS. So many people are left firefighting with treatments that dampen down the symptoms while never getting to the cause.