Author Topic: ScienceMomsDoc.com  (Read 11323 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: ScienceMomsDoc.com
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 09:03:57 AM »
I think it’s the patronising ‘natural isn’t best’ thing that pisses me off. Sometimes it is. Not always (my son is allergic to lanolin).

If you want people to engage don’t disappear up your own smugness. Someone who uses natural products isn’t necessarily a goopshitter.
It's taking issue with a generalisation, and one that is incorrect. Added to that is the idea that 'natural' products are somehow not chemicals. I don't see anything in the article that suggests that you shouldn't use the best product for the situation.

Rhiannon

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
It's taking issue with a generalisation, and one that is incorrect. Added to that is the idea that 'natural' products are somehow not chemicals. I don't see anything in the article that suggests that you shouldn't use the best product for the situation.

The time is that those who use natural products do so out of naivety. That’s bollocks. I don’t need to be de-gwynnied.

Maybe if she wants people to watch her film she shouldn’t alienate her potential audience when trying to sell it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
The time is that those who use natural products do so out of naivety. That’s bollocks. I don’t need to be de-gwynnied.

Maybe if she wants people to watch her film she shouldn’t alienate her potential audience when trying to sell it.
I don't see that in the article - it clearly states that it's about the idea that saying natural is better than synthetic is nonsense but not that anyone using natural is being naïve.

Walter

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »
I don’t even know what that means. Tbh I think I was pretty lucky to get the testing that I did on the NHS. So many people are left firefighting with treatments that dampen down the symptoms while never getting to the cause.
unfortunately Rhi, the fact that you don't know what that means is very telling . I've been trying to post a link to a useful website but cant seem to do it properly . ill have another go if you are interested?

Rhiannon

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »
unfortunately Rhi, the fact that you don't know what that means is very telling . I've been trying to post a link to a useful website but cant seem to do it properly . ill have another go if you are interested?

I can only go by what my consultant has told me - that my allergy is an autoimmune response like any other - and that there’s no cure but I can prevent it worsening by avoiding the things I’m allergic to. I’ve researched and researched it and everything I’ve seen concurs with that. My consultant’s never mentioned anything else.

Thank you for troubling with this on my behalf, if you give me the website’s name I’ll have a google.

Rhiannon

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
I’m finding stuff on food allergies and enzymes.  :-\

Walter

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
I’m finding stuff on food allergies and enzymes.  :-\
cant get it to link , but maybe try this

About this result
[PDF]
 1 BIOTECHNOLOGY, ENZYMES AND ALLERGIES What are enzymes ...
www.enzymeassociation.org/wp-content/.../Biotechnology-Enzymes-and-Allergies.pd...

its a bit technical but you might find it useful , good luck Rhi

sometimes its difficult to isolate a true allergy from an irritant , which is what most people have , but they all colloquially get lumped together as allergies . I suppose it sounds more serious!

Rhiannon

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
Thanks, Walter. I’m still not sure how relevant this is to nee but I’ll do some more digging.

I have a contact allergy to formaldehyde, diagnosed by a five day patch test. However because my skin is sensitive I also have to avoid irritants like chlorine and artificial perfumes. I’m well versed in the differences.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
Thanks, Walter. I’m still not sure how relevant this is to nee but I’ll do some more digging.

I have a contact allergy to formaldehyde, diagnosed by a five day patch test. However because my skin is sensitive I also have to avoid irritants like chlorine and artificial perfumes. I’m well versed in the differences.

Really ... I would not bother.

Walter, do you actually have a clue or are you just another symptom of the problem?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Walter

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 12:15:35 PM »

You're welcome

unfortunately formaldehyde is a naturally occurring organic compound so it's going to be difficult for you to avoid I guess!

Walter

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »
Really ... I would not bother.

Walter, do you actually have a clue or are you just another symptom of the problem?
not sure which problem I'm a symptom of , I'm not a medical doctor if that's what you mean?
I'm not a chemist or a biologist however I do have a science background and an interest in this thread

Rhiannon

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »
You're welcome

unfortunately formaldehyde is a naturally occurring organic compound so it's going to be difficult for you to avoid I guess!

Like most people with this allergy I’m ok with it if it’s not too concentrated, which includes most of the ways it occurs naturally.  It’s when it’s concentrated into glues, resins, finishes and preservatives that there is an issue. It’s common among people who work with textiles and dry cleaning.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »
Don’t patronise me. It’s bullshit to hide the effects of weed killers such as glyphosate by pretending its the same as using homeopathy.
Who has claimed that it is?

According to the article, the documentary takes a rational scientific look at various issues that have all been subject to unscientific bollocks.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walter

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
Like most people with this allergy I’m ok with it if it’s not too concentrated, which includes most of the ways it occurs naturally.  It’s when it’s concentrated into glues, resins, finishes and preservatives that there is an issue. It’s common among people who work with textiles and dry cleaning.
is formaldehyde the major allergen or are there others that cause you problems ?

Rhiannon

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
is formaldehyde the major allergen or are there others that cause you problems ?

Only one other - nickel, but then that’s very common, so many people have nickel allergy.

Rhiannon

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »
Who has claimed that it is?

According to the article, the documentary takes a rational scientific look at various issues that have all been subject to unscientific bollocks.

It would help to leave Paltrow out if it. Immediately you know what you will get - a patronising explanation for the goopshitters.

Actually even just the title is patronising. Like we need other ‘moms’ to explain what’s easily found on the media, on the web, or - heavens - in books. Some of us ‘moms’ have retained the gift of literacy.

Walter

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »
It would help to leave Paltrow out if it. Immediately you know what you will get - a patronising explanation for the goopshitters.

Actually even just the title is patronising. Like we need other ‘moms’ to explain what’s easily found on the media, on the web, or - heavens - in books. Some of us ‘moms’ have retained the gift of literacy.
as of now I don't think you watch the documentary for free and being a Yorkshireman I'm not about to pay for it . Judging by the write-up I think many 'moms' ( I hate that with a vengeance)will benefit from it though

Rhiannon

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
as of now I don't think you watch the documentary for free and being a Yorkshireman I'm not about to pay for it . Judging by the write-up I think many 'moms' ( I hate that with a vengeance)will benefit from it though

They might want to try a better way of hooking them in. 'We were thick too once' isn't a great one.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »
not sure which problem I'm a symptom of , I'm not a medical doctor if that's what you mean?
I'm not a chemist or a biologist however I do have a science background and an interest in this thread
The problem, as I see it, is everyone chucking around advice based on half-understood, or half-baked ideas instead of clear understanding or detailed knowledge.

In particular, on GMOs we are either channelled into the pro or anti lobbies, whereas what is needed is detailed understanding of the potential environmental effects of individual and accumulated modifications - not something we will get from any campaign group or their media output. 

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Walter

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »
The problem, as I see it, is everyone chucking around advice based on half-understood, or half-baked ideas instead of clear understanding or detailed knowledge.

In particular, on GMOs we are either channelled into the pro or anti lobbies, whereas what is needed is detailed understanding of the potential environmental effects of individual and accumulated modifications - not something we will get from any campaign group or their media output.
detailed knowledge is available if you care to look for it ! whether you understand it or not is up to you

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »

I think there is a false equivalence here - those in favour of GMOs agree that the analysis has to be understood, those against don't think any analysis is worthwhile

Walter

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 04:18:59 PM »
I think there is a false equivalence here - those in favour of GMOs agree that the analysis has to be understood, those against don't think any analysis is worthwhile
bit like religious folk , nothing's going to change their mind  ::)

Robbie

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 04:22:19 PM »

Too right!
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Walter

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »
Too right!
but these 'moms' have a science background , do you ?
and the gift of literacy does not equate to the understanding of the subject matter , that's why there's a problem in the first place.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »
Yes, given there is an obvious problem with people ignoring science, I'm at a loss as to why people trying to do something about that are being patronising.