Author Topic: ScienceMomsDoc.com  (Read 11334 times)

Rhiannon

Re: ScienceMomsDoc.com
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 06:10:42 PM »
Yes, given there is an obvious problem with people ignoring science, I'm at a loss as to why people trying to do something about that are being patronising.

Because you aren’t the one being patronised. To repeat, being told ‘we were once thick moms like you’ is alienating. Would it be ok from men aimed at educating the little women? No. So why is it ok that it’s other women doing it?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:15:56 PM by Rhiannon »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »
I think there is a false equivalence here - those in favour of GMOs agree that the analysis has to be understood, those against don't think any analysis is worthwhile

How should the pro GM (for specific cases) proceed then?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 06:26:29 PM »
Because you aren’t the one being patronised. To repeat, being told ‘we were once thick moms like you’ is alienating. Would it be ok from men aimed at educating the little women? No. So why is it ok that it’s other women doing it?
I don't see it as doing that. It's dealing with the use of being a mother  by those spreading bad science.

Rhiannon

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »
I don't see it as doing that. It's dealing with the use of being a mother  by those spreading bad science.

And it assumes that women aren’t capable of thinking for themselves.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »
How should the pro GM (for specific cases) proceed then?
first of all, it needs to be  accepted that GMOs are not by definition wrong. That's where the false equivalence is. You then put in place procedures for approval and understand that they can be improved.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:31:02 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »
And it assumes that women aren’t capable of thinking for themselves.
No, it doesn't. It works on the basis that there is a lot of bad thinking across the board.

Rhiannon

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
No, it doesn't. It works on the basis that there is a lot of bad thinking across the board.

I’ve read it again and all I’m seeing is a bunch of ‘smart women’ wanting to ‘educate’ other ‘moms’ - presumably the ‘not smart’.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »
I’ve read it again and all I’m seeing is a bunch of ‘smart women’ wanting to ‘educate’ other ‘moms’ - presumably the ‘not smart’.
Or people who get science wanting to explain how it works. If someone is knowledgeable are you saying it is patronising for them to say that?

Walter

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »
what's wrong with that?

Rhiannon

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2017, 06:43:17 PM »
what's wrong with that?

Because we aren’t stupid muppets who need ‘educating’. Would it be ok if this were men? No.

The information is out there. If people are Gwynnie adoring goopshitters then they aren’t going to engage with this and will probably be put off by it. But guess what? The majority of us don’t fall for the Goopshit in the first place.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »
Because we aren’t stupid muppets who need ‘educating’. Would it be ok if this were men? No.

The information is out there. If people are Gwynnie adoring goopshitters then they aren’t going to engage with this and will probably be put off by it. But guess what? The majority of us don’t fall for the Goopshit in the first place.
Absolutely it's ok if it is men. Some people fall  for dangerous anti science shite. Some of the people who punt their idiocy use the fact that they are 'mothers' to do so. Why shouldn't it be answered by those arguing for science that that are mothers too?

Walter

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »

if the majority didn't fall for it there would be no need for what these women are doing . I applaud them and would probably benefit from the info in the documentary . I  don't understand your attitude tbh

Walter

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2017, 06:53:03 PM »
we live in a technological age and if people don't understand science , how are they going to navigate the world ?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2017, 08:01:55 PM »
we live in a technological age and if people don't understand science , how are they going to navigate the world ?
Sat-nav?  :-\
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walter

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2017, 08:04:41 PM »

Rhiannon

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2017, 08:13:54 PM »
if the majority didn't fall for it there would be no need for what these women are doing . I applaud them and would probably benefit from the info in the documentary . I  don't understand your attitude tbh

Because their attitude is fucking rude.

Of course the majority don’t fall for it. Most of us wonder if we can afford to buy enough fresh produce to give our kids five a day to give a toss whether it’s organic or not, let alone swan around with crystal eggs stuffed up our fanjos.

Rhiannon

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
Absolutely it's ok if it is men. Some people fall  for dangerous anti science shite. Some of the people who punt their idiocy use the fact that they are 'mothers' to do so. Why shouldn't it be answered by those arguing for science that that are mothers too?

When you have experience of how mothers are treated come and tell me just how wrong I am.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2017, 08:24:27 PM »
When you have experience of how mothers are treated come and tell me just how wrong I am.
  So those mothers are wrong, and I should just listen to the mothers you think are right?

Walter

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »
Because their attitude is fucking rude.

Of course the majority don’t fall for it. Most of us wonder if we can afford to buy enough fresh produce to give our kids five a day to give a toss whether it’s organic or not, let alone swan around with crystal eggs stuffed up our fanjos.
fanjos.
that's another one for my little book. ;D ;D ;D

Rhiannon

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2017, 08:32:01 PM »
  So those mothers are wrong, and I should just listen to the mothers you think are right?

Distortion of what i said.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2017, 08:34:40 PM »
Distortion of what i said.
It's a question so how is it a distortion? Why are the linked to mothers wromg and you right?

Rhiannon

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »
As it happens I quite like the idea of 'fact based parenting'. Parenting - both genders. And it should be for people who get science and who don't, who worship the goopshitter (the minority) but also those who just want more information, the latest information, to build on what they already know.

Saying, 'we were once stupid like you, but look, now we are enlightened, come let us tell you and you can be like us' isn't going to engage anyone.

Rhiannon

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
It's a question so how is it a distortion? Why are the linked to mothers wromg and you right?

Where did I say they were wrong, I am right, and what did I say they are wrong about?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »
Where did I say they were wrong, I am right, and what did I say they are wrong about?
Then if that aren't wrong what is the issue? You mentioned glyphosate to start so and we hat you felt they were wrong on that, despite there being no mention of it in the post.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »
As it happens I quite like the idea of 'fact based parenting'. Parenting - both genders. And it should be for people who get science and who don't, who worship the goopshitter (the minority) but also those who just want more information, the latest information, to build on what they already know.

Saying, 'we were once stupid like you, but look, now we are enlightened, come let us tell you and you can be like us' isn't going to engage anyone.
Which isn't what they say.