Author Topic: The way we live now...  (Read 1488 times)

Shaker

Re: The way we live now...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
I know that none of us will be particularly shocked or surprised by this - there are so many cases - but why this kind of tragedy isn't a standing national scandal, on the front page of every paper going and dissected at length on prime-time telly, I don't understand.

Tragedy fatigue, perhaps.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »
I know that none of us will be particularly shocked or surprised by this - there are so many cases - but why this kind of tragedy isn't a standing national scandal, on the front page of every paper going and dissected at length on prime-time telly, I don't understand.

Tragedy fatigue, perhaps.
Who knows? It seems shocking to me still that we ignore this. I've never been more depressed about the political debate in this country

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:58:19 PM »
Don't want to break the pretence that we live in, or have, a welfare state?

Does this kind of poverty exist in Scandinavia?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 05:08:43 PM »
It’s a fear that this could so easily be us, or most of us. Better not think about it.

ekim

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 10:08:29 AM »
Don't want to break the pretence that we live in, or have, a welfare state?

Perhaps we should start calling it the farewell state.  You get what you are prepared to pay for.  With an increasing elderly population, ever increasing expectations and a desire to roll back the national debt I suspect that a decline is inevitable. 

Robbie

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
It’s a fear that this could so easily be us, or most of us. Better not think about it.

Yes plus the fact we have a Tory government.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Walter

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 11:27:52 AM »
Yes plus the fact we have a Tory government.
the colour of the government is irrelevant , there will always be people who are incapable of looking after themselves.

Shaker

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
the colour of the government is irrelevant
Coffee, meet keyboard.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Robbie

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
the colour of the government is irrelevant , there will always be people who are incapable of looking after themselves.

Yes there will Walter but the welfare state exists to care for them or help to care for them. There have been more cuts in benefits and care in the home since the Tories have been in power. Those of us who work with people who are poor or sick have noticed the difference.

Walter

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
Yes there will Walter but the welfare state exists to care for them or help to care for them. There have been more cuts in benefits and care in the home since the Tories have been in power. Those of us who work with people who are poor or sick have noticed the difference.
my point still stands though

Robbie

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »
Of course, there will always be people who have hard times, sometimes temporary, sometimes always (not always poor people, well off people have tremendous difficulties too of a different kind). The point of this thread is, I think, how they can be helped, how those that are destitute are let down by government agencies.

I've re-read the article about this poor woman and she was so let down. People with mental health problems are often so defenceless and give up easily.  The Benefits system is notoriously difficult to navigate.  It's all very well for the DWP to say that they understand appointments cannot always be kept and they will re-arrange but her mother actually went in and told them her daughter was in hospital. As for appealing, yes she could do that but it's a difficult and lengthy procedure and what would she have done for money in the meantime?

It's a disgrace.  There have been several similar cases recently, including suicide, of people desperate and destitute after benefit cuts.

It could happen to any of us or a member of our family, life is full of twists and turns.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 04:47:19 PM by Robbie »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
Coffee, meet keyboard.
Are you saying this kind of thing could not happen under a Labour government? Because I'd be sceptical about that.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Shaker

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »
Are you saying this kind of thing could not happen under a Labour government? Because I'd be sceptical about that.
We haven't had one since the 1970s so it's hard to tell. But the Tory record on benefits and the treatment of those in need of them speaks for itself.

http://tinyurl.com/hngnhte

http://tinyurl.com/nrhqj54
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:11:48 PM by Shaker »