Author Topic: First female Black Rod  (Read 1655 times)

floo

First female Black Rod
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42025131

It has taken 650 years for a woman to be appointed to this post.

Shaker

Re: First female Black Rod
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »
What's the world coming to  ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »

They will be wanting equal pay next!
Back to the kitchen sink with them!

I'll get my Stahlhelm now shall I?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »

It won't do much for working class women. It might make the likes of Harpy feel good though.

ekim

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 05:01:58 PM »

I hear it's because the actual rod has snapped and it has been replaced with a broom stick, so it makes sense. :-[

Shaker

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:51:53 PM »
It won't do much for working class women.
Is it meant to?

Did all the other (male) Black Rods for the last 650 years do anything for working class men?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 07:07:10 PM »

Your bit about 650 years proves there ain't no such thing as a british parliament.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
Is it meant to?

Did all the other (male) Black Rods for the last 650 years do anything for working class men?

It's being trumpeted in some parts of the media as the latest shattering of the mythical "glass ceiling", despite the fact that the woman concerned ain't exactly short of a few bob.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 12:16:01 PM »
This is supposed to be the 21st century.

Isn't it about time that all this stupid flummery was abolished in favour of something that reflected the real world? But of course, I forgot that we have voted for Brexit and the opportunity to live permanently in the past.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Walter

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »
This is supposed to be the 21st century.

Isn't it about time that all this stupid flummery was abolished in favour of something that reflected the real world? But of course, I forgot that we have voted for Brexit and the opportunity to live permanently in the past.
must be a fantastic super power to have , you know, being able to see into the future as you do .

Shaker

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 12:21:09 PM »
must be a fantastic super power to have , you know, being able to see into the future as you do .
Pretensions to precognitive powers were much in evidence on both sides of the issue, to be fair.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »

Many of the people I know who voted to leave have told me that they want "us" to make our own laws "just like we used to". That "we" want to control our own borders "just like we used to". That "we" want to trade with the Commonwealth "just like we used to".

How does that give me any super powers?

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

floo

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »
Many of the people I know who voted to leave have told me that they want "us" to make our own laws "just like we used to". That "we" want to control our own borders "just like we used to". That "we" want to trade with the Commonwealth "just like we used to".

How does that give me any super powers?

In those far off days Britain had more clout because it had invaded a lot of the world, NOT to its credit.  Nowadays it is a very small country which  needs to be part of the EU as it is unlikely to make a success of going it alone.

SusanDoris

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 03:49:07 PM »
In those far off days Britain had more clout because it had invaded a lot of the world, NOT to its credit.  Nowadays it is a very small country which  needs to be part of the EU as it is unlikely to make a success of going it alone.
Yes, I agree.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.