Author Topic: Life, what is it good for?  (Read 3716 times)

Shaker

Re: Life, what is it good for?
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 03:06:25 PM »
But people do see the good as better than the bad, even if though the bad is our ‘normal’. How can Benatar be sure that is self deception? It’s just that person’s subjective reality, as unknowable as Benetar’s own.
There are means - psychological testing and evaluation - of examining how people's personal perceptions of pleasure and its lack or its opposite stack up against more objective factors.
Yesterday on the Xmas thread you described at length how you chose to make Xmas special even though your experiences of it were painful. Why doesn’t that translate to everyday life?
Not sure I follow?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »
It really doesn’t matter. I’ve got citrus slices to dry and a stovetop simmer to top up.

Shaker

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »
I did the citrus slices the other day  :)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
I did the citrus slices the other day  :)

I’m quite sure you did.

Shaker

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
I’m quite sure you did.
Well technically, seeing as we're on the philosophy board, only I can be  ;)