Author Topic: Feminist comediennes banned from facebook  (Read 9345 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Feminist comediennes banned from facebook
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
Perhaps it's that people who think they're doing the right thing by being inclusive in using gender-neutral terms don't know where to stand when they read comments such as those provided in a link earlier from a female actor who says that the term actress has been hard won and should be celebrated.
So who isn't winning by the discussion being had? If we want to admit there isn't a simple solution fine, but the whole 'you can't win' approach is used to denigrate the discussion in the first place, in my reading.

Robbie

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »
Oh for Heaven's sakes, whatever anyone says there will be someone who is offended. Though quite honestly I don't know anyone who would be offended by the term, "Actress" or, "Actor", however it's obviously an issue to some or there wouldn't be this thread.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Robbie

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2017, 10:55:46 PM »
Going back to the opening post, Humph, it appears that people think FB is not even handed when it comes to banning people. The women who posted unpleasant remarks about men were banned, rightly, but men who have posted similar stuff about women have not been banned - also some racist remarks have been allowed. That's what I gleaned from the article and the tweets beneath. (So glad I haven't got involved in facebook.)

(PS:  I know I'm stating the obvious but the thread seems to have gone off topic.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:04:17 PM by Robbie »

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2017, 11:23:51 PM »
Going back to the opening post, Humph, it appears that people think FB is not even handed when it comes to banning people. The women who posted unpleasant remarks about men were banned, rightly, but men who have posted similar stuff about women have not been banned - also some racist remarks have been allowed. That's what I gleaned from the article and the tweets beneath. (So glad I haven't got involved in facebook.)

(PS:  I know I'm stating the obvious but the thread seems to have gone off topic.)

The women who were banned made a huge fuss about how they had made unpleasant comments about the XY community, they were leading with their chins.

Nobody with even half a brain would defend the anonymous nonentities who make bad comments about women, men, blacks, whites, tans, yellows, disabled, one parent families, etc, but they are mostly trolls who disappear when their break is over & they have to go back to work. They do not expect, nor should they, be hailed as being "clever" "witty" or "challenging".

Robbie

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
I agree with you.