Author Topic: Gavin Williamson  (Read 3901 times)

Shaker

Re: Gavin Williamson
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
And right on cue ... https://tinyurl.com/yazz4c36
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »

Shaker

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »
No, as he's been tried and sentenced - it's not a war situation over here. Not conventional warfare at any rate.

If it had been, yes we should (and I wish it had been). He had an AK-47 and I assume it wasn't another household ornament to stand next to his Capo Del Monte underneath his painting of an Asian lady with a blue face.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:50:20 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Owlswing

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »

We are not in time of war and even in war, you are not allowed to just kill enemy combatants if you have captured them or they have surrendered.

Yes we bloody well are!

OK, it is a war, like that against the I R A, that is referred to as an "undeclared war" but the attacks around the world by militant Islam cannot be described as anything but a war!

What is more it is a war being fought by an enemy that hides behind civilian clothes not having the courage to show their true colours by wearing a uniform

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »
Yes we bloody well are!

OK, it is a war, like that against the I R A, that is referred to as an "undeclared war" but the attacks around the world by militant Islam cannot be described as anything but a war!

What is more it is a war being fought by an enemy that hides behind civilian clothes not having the courage to show their true colours by wearing a uniform
The Maquis didn't wear uniforms - was that lack of courage? We wouldn't treat IRA prisoners as prisoners of war, so how could it be war?

Owlswing

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »

The Maquis didn't wear uniforms - was that lack of courage? We wouldn't treat IRA prisoners as prisoners of war, so how could it be war?

The I R A always demanded that their men be treated as prisoners of war - this I would suggest confirms that THEY considered they were at war. As the I R A was not a recognised "Army" by either the  government of ther UK or that of Eire resulted in the refusal of P O W status toi I R A prisoners.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »
The I R A always demanded that their men be treated as prisoners of war - this I would suggest confirms that THEY considered they were at war. As the I R A was not a recognised "Army" by either the  government of ther UK or that of Eire resulted in the refusal of P O W status toi I R A prisoners.
  Which confirms that we weren't at war which defeats your claim that somehow we were.

Owlswing

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 10:58:45 PM »

Which confirms that we weren't at war which defeats your claim that somehow we were.

In a pig's ear!

Wind-up unsuccessful.

End of communication.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 12:19:29 AM »
In a pig's ear!

Wind-up unsuccessful.

End of communication.

Are we at war? No. Was your representation of being at war,  correct?  No. End of sense? Yes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:44:04 AM by Nearly Sane »

Owlswing

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 01:43:35 AM »

Are we at war? No. Was your representation of being at war,  correct?  No. End of sense? Yes.

I am serously sorry but I find your dismissal of the nature of the attacks on various countries by militant Isalm as not a war, albeit a guerilla war, disturbing, pacifist and, possibly, in the end, downright dangerous.

I don't know what the ethinic/religious make-up of your local population is but around here more than a few walk on egg-shells in order not to upset the muslims who take any perceivesa slight, never mind any real oners, very personally and usually straight to the courts who seem to shit themselves be terrified at the possible consequences of finding for the defendants.

So, on this subject, I am making no further comment as, quite clearly, we need to agree to differ as we are, equally clearly, never going to just agree.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 01:51:39 AM »
I am serously sorry but I find your dismissal of the nature of the attacks on various countries by militant Isalm as not a war, albeit a guerilla war, disturbing, pacifist and, possibly, in the end, downright dangerous.

I don't know what the ethinic/religious make-up of your local population is but around here more than a few walk on egg-shells in order not to upset the muslims who take any perceivesa slight, never mind any real oners, very personally and usually straight to the courts who seem to shit themselves be terrified at the possible consequences of finding for the defendants.

So, on this subject, I am making no further comment as, quite clearly, we need to agree to differ as we are, equally clearly, never going to just agree.
so if you indulge in misrepresentation as you have done here, then maybe leaving your take is ok.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 01:53:32 AM »
Yes we bloody well are!
No we are not.

We were not in a war against the IRA. We treated their members as criminals and murderers which is what they were.

To term these people as enemy combatants rather than criminals elevates them to a status to which they are not entitled.

Please don't misunderstand me: if our law enforcement agencies see a terrorist pointing an AK4 at somebody, they are absolutely entitled to shoot him (or her) dead. But we live in a democracy and we decided capital punishment is barbaric and the rule of law generally prevails here. I do not want to see that changed.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 02:09:12 AM »
No we are not.
We were not in a war against the IRA. We treated their members as criminals and murderers which is what they were.

To term these people as enemy combatants rather than criminals elevates them to a status to which they are not entitled.

Please don't misunderstand me: if our law enforcement agencies see a terrorist pointing an AK4 at somebody, they are absolutely entitled to shoot him (or her) dead. But we live in a democracy and we decided capital punishment is barbaric and the rule of law generally prevails here. I do not want to see that changed.
and to elevate our combatants to fighting a war would then be hypocrisy

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 12:41:57 AM »
and to elevate our combatants to fighting a war would then be hypocrisy
Strange that you should think fighting a war is a more noble cause than fighting crime in a democracy.

I said don't elevate the status of the terrorists, not don't elevate the status of the action against them.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply