Author Topic: The sacking of Fabio the robot  (Read 2170 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: The sacking of Fabio the robot
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:23:43 PM »
His advice soon became unhelpful, simply telling people to go to the alcohol section when they asked where to find beer.

Seems like good advice to me.

I'm a little bit disturbed about this trend for treating what is essentially, a computer on wheels like it is a person. You don't fire robots, you turn them off.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »
Seems like good advice to me.

I'm a little bit disturbed about this trend for treating what is essentially, a computer on wheels like it is a person. You don't fire robots, you turn them off.

At some levels the aim is to make people that they aren't just computers, hence the work on making them more liked people.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:39:32 PM by Nearly Sane »

Rhiannon

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:03:21 PM »
I blame Star Wars.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »
At some levels the aim is to make people that they aren't just computers, hence the work on making them more liked people.
Yes but why?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »
Yes but why?
Because it's thought easier to replace what people might do with things we think might be people

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »
Because it's thought easier to replace what people might do with things we think might be people
It's not easier but it might make the punters and the employees more accepting. It's interesting to me that when this machine was "sacked" some of the employees were in tears (of sadness rather than laughter I presume) even though the end game must be to replace them with this machine's successors.

Personally,, I think the idea is ludicrous. If you want a system for directing people to where they need to go for certain goods, have a cheap tablet device that people attach to the trolley or, for people with smart phones, an app that does the same.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 07:42:16 PM »
It's not easier but it might make the punters and the employees more accepting. It's interesting to me that when this machine was "sacked" some of the employees were in tears (of sadness rather than laughter I presume) even though the end game must be to replace them with this machine's successors.

Personally,, I think the idea is ludicrous. If you want a system for directing people to where they need to go for certain goods, have a cheap tablet device that people attach to the trolley or, for people with smart phones, an app that does the same.

That people will accept something is surely a calculation about making things easier? (Note I didn't say technically easier)

I take it you mean something like this

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/amazon-cashier-less-grocery-store-finally-open-article-1.3771675

Rhiannon

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 08:02:07 PM »
Yes but why?

The article mentions that people wouldn't take pulled pork samples from the robot, but they did from a real person.

Makes sense. I was leaving Tesco recently and normally don't bother stopping for the freebies, but the man spotted that my girls and I had cups of coffee and suggested that we had some salted caramel profiteroles with that and we couldn't resist.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 08:04:36 PM »
The article mentions that people wouldn't take pulled pork samples from the robot, but they did from a real person.

Makes sense. I was leaving Tesco recently and normally don't bother stopping for the freebies, but the man spotted that my girls and I had cups of coffee and suggested that we had some salted caramel profiteroles with that and we couldn't resist.
Mmmm salted caramel profiteroles...

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »
Mmmm salted caramel profiteroles...

(He was right. They did go well with the coffee).

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 08:11:16 PM »
(He was right. They did go well with the coffee).
Putting Fabio out of a job! Bastard!

floo

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
Along with its P45, I hope it got a large amount in compensation. ;D

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
Let's start Robots Unions Ready

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/edinburgh-supermarket-fires-fabio-robot-one-week-confusing-customers-104519712.html

That was what I suggested at a CPSA branch meeting in 1990 when the shop steward from CE Dover complained about the increasing use of robotic technology. He ,a standard Labour Party member, thought it amusing, the Militant Tendency types did not.

Rhiannon

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
Along with its P45, I hope it got a large amount in compensation. ;D

He can come and live with me. I’ll keep him as s petand when I lose my reading glasses he can tell me that they are with the tinned goods.