Author Topic: 'With great power comes great responsibility'  (Read 1863 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
'With great power comes great responsibility'
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:33:08 PM »

Right decision but can see many more cases like this. I'm a believer in the tech but it's going to be difficult to understand effects of the usage for a while

https://news.sky.com/story/amazon-cleared-after-alexa-ad-triggers-cat-food-order-11249840

floo

Re: 'With great power comes great responsibility'
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:43:37 AM »
I think modern technology can be OTT sometimes. For instance my car has so many gismos, which I don't want or need, I wouldn't have a clue how to operate them anyway. I just want to drive from A to B without hassle. Good heavens I have been driving on the roads since I passed my test at 17, 51 years ago, so I think I can manage without distracting messages coming up on the dashboard.

I also find smart TV complicated too, it has its uses like the iPlayer, but apart from that the rest I can do without.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:52:30 AM by Littleroses »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:51:07 AM »
I think modern technology can be OTT sometimes. For instance my car has so many gismos, which I don't want or need, I wouldn't have a clue how to operate them anyway. I just want to drive from A to B without hassle. Good heavens I have been driving on the roads since I passed my test at 17, 51 years ago, so I think I can manage without distracting messages coming up on the dashboard.

also find smart TV complicated too, it has its uses like the iPlayer, but apart from that the rest I can do without.
Apart from the fact that I'd miss the internet, and would not like the contemporary attitude to gays, I sometimes wish, when i watch 'Call the Midwife', that it was 1963 again - life was a lot simpler with only two TV channels in black and white, bikes with three speeds (or five if derailleur - 10 was just showing off), cars that didn't talk to you and had proper keys instead of remote control ones, etc. That bitter, snowy winter was jolly fun, as well, if you were 11, as I was at the time.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

floo

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »
Apart from the fact that I'd miss the internet, and would not like the contemporary attitude to gays, I sometimes wish, when i watch 'Call the Midwife', that it was 1963 again - life was a lot simpler with only two TV channels in black and white, bikes with three speeds (or five if derailleur - 10 was just showing off), cars that didn't talk to you and had proper keys instead of remote control ones, etc. That bitter, snowy winter was jolly fun, as well, if you were 11, as I was at the time.

I would never wish to go back in time. There was so much wrong with the way things were viewed in the 50s and 60s, when I was young. Child abuse, both physical and sexual, was swept under the carpet. Domestic abuse was also not viewed as serious unless a partner was killed. Sexual harassment was considered normal! >:(

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »
I would never wish to go back in time. There was so much wrong with the way things were viewed in the 50s and 60s, when I was young. Child abuse, both physical and sexual, was swept under the carpet. Domestic abuse was also not viewed as serious unless a partner was killed. Sexual harassment was considered normal! >:(
But all of a sudden we're right about everything? Seems a little unlikely. It is more likely that they were wrong about many things then, and we are wrong about many other things now.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

floo

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »
But all of a sudden we're right about everything? Seems a little unlikely. It is more likely that they were wrong about many things then, and we are wrong about many other things now.

Yes we are, but I still prefer living in this century rather than the previous one.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
Well, Steve, it's living in the past which has given us the appalling "Brexit" situation we are now experiencing. It is living in the past which gives us an inadequate, not-fit-for-purpose government system. The list is endless.

Have you not considered that "Call the Midwife" is rewriting history by never showing the routine genital mutilation of neonate boys practised by midwives in the post-war years?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 08:54:44 AM by Harrowby Hall »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

floo

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »
Well, Steve, it's living in the past which has given us the appalling "Brexit" situation we are now experiencing. It is living in the past which gives us an inadequate, not-fit-for-purpose government system. The list is endless.

Have you not considered that "Call the Midwife" is rewriting history by never showing the routine genital mutilation of neonate boys practised by midwives in the post-war years?

As I have said many times, circumcision of boys should only be performed for medical reasons, not social or religious.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »

Who said anything about living in the past?
I don't know about genital mutilation of boys, but CtM has tackled some pretty edgy issues, such as FGM and polygamy.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
But all of a sudden we're right about everything?
Who said that?

we are wrong about many other things now.
But I think we are wrong about fewer things than they were in the past.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walter

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
Who said that?

But I think we are wrong about fewer things than they were in the past.
it's obvious from his posts, Steve H knows all the answers to everything and only his opinions count . I wonder how a person can reach a position like that ?