Author Topic: In the Wake of Wakefield  (Read 2340 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
In the Wake of Wakefield
« on: February 19, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »
Last Saturday, to mark the 20th anniversary of the infamous Wakefield paper (published 26th February 1998), Radio 4 had a documentary about the whole business

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09rwgcg

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: In the Wake of Wakefield
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »

Robbie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:05:55 PM »
I remember someone (around the turn of the century) with a young child who was severely autistic
believing it was possible the MMR had caused it.

Later many people opted for having three separate vaccinations 'just in case' which was quite alright but they were quite expensive so not an option for everyone, which made it elitist.

A friend's little boy developed measles straight after mMR & it was horrible, nasty raised rash over his face and around his eyes which was worrying. However he recovered quickly and was OK thank goodness.

My kids had MMR before there was any scare & I had no worries.  My eldest did have measles when she started school but very, very mildly & soon over.

i was vaccinated against measles (no idea about mumps and rubella, I suppose I could check) & also had a mild case which I remember. My sister didn't.t catch it.

When I read about Wakefield I was horrified to read that young children were subjected to invasive, traumatic investigations.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:08:06 PM by Robbie »
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Enki

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:25:40 PM »
I remember someone (around the turn of the century) with a young child who was severely autistic
believing it was possible the MMR had caused it.

Later many people opted for having three separate vaccinations 'just in case' which was quite alright but they were quite expensive so not an option for everyone, which made it elitist.

A friend's little boy developed measles straight after mMR & it was horrible, nasty raised rash over his face and around his eyes which was worrying. However he recovered quickly and was OK thank goodness.

My kids had MMR before there was any scare & I had no worries.  My eldest did have measles when she started school but very, very mildly & soon over.

i was vaccinated against measles (no idea about mumps and rubella, I suppose I could check) & also had a mild case which I remember. My sister didn't.t catch it.

When I read about Wakefield I was horrified to read that young children were subjected to invasive, traumatic investigations.

On the subject of your second paragraph, Robbie, perhaps you should read this:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/the-lay-scientist/2013/may/01/mmr-swansea
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Robbie

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:32:44 PM »
Thank you for that enki; I didn't know, my kids were older and I just accepted at the time that people wanted single vaccinations. I hope none of them came to harm.

The picture of that poor kid with measles reminds me of my friend's little boy who had it after the MMR except that he had the raised rash over one of his eyelids too, it was horrific.  Thankfully he was alright fairly soon with no eye damage. The mild measles that some children have despite vaccination is not nearly so pronounced.

I hope there will be enough publicity to encourage more people to allow their children to have MMR.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »
Thank you for that enki; I didn't know, my kids were older and I just accepted at the time that people wanted single vaccinations. I hope none of them came to harm.

The picture of that poor kid with measles reminds me of my friend's little boy who had it after the MMR except that he had the raised rash over one of his eyelids too, it was horrific.  Thankfully he was alright fairly soon with no eye damage. The mild measles that some children have despite vaccination is not nearly so pronounced.

I hope there will be enough publicity to encourage more people to allow their children to have MMR.

Our kids have not had MMR, Mrs Bennett under her real name is a campaigner against the same.

As far as I am concerned, compulsory vaccination is the same as organ donation opt out....my body is mine own, if I do not want my body cut up & bits taken out, I should not have to sign a form so as to prevent my mutilation after death.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
Our kids have not had MMR, Mrs Bennett under her real name is a campaigner against the same.

As far as I am concerned, compulsory vaccination is the same as organ donation opt out....my body is mine own, if I do not want my body cut up & bits taken out, I should not have to sign a form so as to prevent my mutilation after death.
So your happy to put other people at risk in the case of vaccination.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »
So your happy to put other people at risk in the case of vaccination.

My family come first.

As for my body I do not want it cut up for the benefit of those who may have loathed me in life.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
My family come first.

If you're not getting them vaccinated, you're not putting them first. If your objection is the 'link' to autism, you are putting them at risk based on blind ignorance and a fraud.

You are also, as NS pointed out, putting other people at great risk.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 04:14:34 PM »
If you're not getting them vaccinated, you're not putting them first. If your objection is the 'link' to autism, you are putting them at risk based on blind ignorance and a fraud.

You are also, as NS pointed out, putting other people at great risk.

No.

They are my family, not yours.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »
No.

Which doesn't stop you being wrong about the risks to them

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
Which doesn't stop you being wrong about the risks to them

So says you.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »

Quite frankly, I don't think that should mean that you have the right to put your children's health and other people's children's health at risk due to recklessly ignoring the clear and unambiguous evidence.

There is zero evidence of a link between MMR and autism and undeniable evidence of the risks of not vaccinating.

Not vaccinating is stupidly irresponsible and, quite frankly, should be counted as neglect.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »

I strongly disagree with you on both counts. Vaccination should be compulsory, in order to prevent the resurgence of many horrible illnesses; and organ donation opt-out would provide many more organs, and it is hardly unreasonable to expect those who object to sign a form saying so.
Having now read some of your other comments on this thread, I have to say that you sound startlingly selfish and irresponsible.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:41:46 PM by Steve H »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Robbie

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 06:00:08 PM »
Humph from things you've said your children aren't little ones. Surely it would do no harm for them to be vaccinated now. If they caught measles, even if they were quite alright afterwards, they could infect many who might suffer serious damage.  Also there's the possibility they could get it badly. A friend's mother lost an eye because of measles in adulthood.

They are surely at an age when they can make their own minds up.

We all put our own families first but no family is an island, we live amongst others.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 06:18:04 PM »
Perhaps he thinks that they will be protected by cigarette smoke.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 02:50:46 PM »

I'd say it is wrong to endanger your children for the sake of your ideology.

Yes,, you have put your children in danger and you are putting other people's children in danger.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »
My family come first.

You have just made a post that says you don't put your family first.

As for my body I do not want it cut up for the benefit of those who may have loathed me in life.
That is your choice. However, you do not own your children's bodies.

Robbie

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »
Humph's children can make their own minds up.

Walter

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
 author=Humph Warden Bennett link=topic=15235.msg720426#msg720426 date=1519312268]

the overwhelming evidence points to Mrs Bennett under her real name , to be an idiot and a danger to society

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
Humph's children can make their own minds up.
They couldn't when they were of an age that they should have been vaccinated with MMR. Nor could the other children that they came in contact with, particularly the few that couldn't be vaccinated for medical reasons.

Robbie

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
Agreed but they can now, it's not too late. It's possible, though, that they just don't think of it.