Author Topic: Climate change is upon us....  (Read 51355 times)

Spud

Re: Climate change is upon us....
« Reply #300 on: April 12, 2022, 07:58:45 PM »
Anyone know how much only having one bath a week would save?
If someone could design a way to re-direct used bath water to fill the toilet cistern, that would be cool. Bizarrely, on our allotment site they switched off the water supply to the toilets during the winter. A notice says, "please use the bucket and water from the water butt to flush".

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2022, 08:01:19 PM »

Not as much as getting rid of the bath and installing a shower in its place.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ad_orientem

« Reply #302 on: April 13, 2022, 06:46:12 AM »

Get a shower instead. If I didn't wash every day I'd pen and ink.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ekim

« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2022, 07:48:32 AM »
Solar energy storage....... https://tinyurl.com/ypuzs524

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2022, 08:32:55 AM »

It would save me a fortune as my social life would be non existent.

(Actually that's a lie. I have a shower and one bath a week would increase my water consumption.)
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2022, 10:51:07 AM »
It would save me a fortune as my social life would be non existent.

(Actually that's a lie. I have a shower and one bath a week would increase my water consumption.)
That's the first time I've seen the Religionethics forum described as a 'social life'.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2022, 12:29:12 PM »
That's the first time I've seen the Religionethics forum described as a 'social life'.
It's not the first time I've seen somebody who can't tell the difference between an online message board and a social life.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2022, 05:15:12 PM »
I may have said this before ....

I know several places where speculative developers are building private housing estates. One thing which just stands out is that on none of these developments is a single house where solar panels are being installed as a feature of their standard design.

Should it not be mandatory that ... where feasible ... all new construction should incorporate solar panels as standard?

Why would they include such features, or even suitable insulation, unless obliged to do so to meet  building regulations?

I expect they make more money overall if they are added later and don't have to be considered in the design.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #308 on: April 13, 2022, 06:31:53 PM »
Why would they include such features, or even suitable insulation, unless obliged to do so to meet  building regulations?

I expect they make more money overall if they are added later and don't have to be considered in the design.

Which is why I asked whether such additions should be made mandatory.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2022, 12:28:43 PM »

The cost of the solar panels cannot be simply added to the price of the house. It takes something like 20 years for solar panels to pay for themselves (or did before the current energy price hike). Thus, adding £10k in solar panels to a new house won't add £10k to its selling price.

As HH implied, even if he didn't say explicitly, it would need to be the law that new builds must have solar panels.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #310 on: April 14, 2022, 07:18:55 PM »
Indeed. Make it mandatory.

However, the price of solar panels has fallen considerably over the last few years - at the kinds of costs builders pay together with the savings created by the scale of their operations - you might be talking about an additional building cost of £3000 - £4000 for ten to a dozen panel installation. This is dwarfed by the difference between the total cost of building a house and the amount a future purchaser will pay.  But who knows, domestic electricity generation may make a house a more attractive purchase, particularly if it includes a 5kWh battery.

NB I am using my own experience of adding solar generation to my house when the IKEA scheme was operating.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 08:51:42 AM by Harrowby Hall »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #311 on: April 16, 2022, 12:52:56 PM »
 I don't see how it can be made mandatory if it is unacceptable to the people that build the houses/buildings.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: April 16, 2022, 01:06:59 PM »
I don't see how it can be made mandatory if it is unacceptable to the people that build the houses/buildings.

Surely in the same way that any number of building regulations and standards are mandatory?

I'm sure some building companies want to get away with the bare minimum, or indeed supply unsuitable cladding for buildings, but I'm equally sure robust laws could be put into place to minimise the possibility of those things happening, or making sure certain types of heating/energy generation systems are installed.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #313 on: April 17, 2022, 10:38:29 AM »
Surely in the same way that any number of building regulations and standards are mandatory?

I'm sure some building companies want to get away with the bare minimum, or indeed supply unsuitable cladding for buildings, but I'm equally sure robust laws could be put into place to minimise the possibility of those things happening, or making sure certain types of heating/energy generation systems are installed.

If only things were that simple... but I see the link you provided referencing the contributions to the Conservatives by the construction companies is entirely "unconnected".

Even if robust legislation were to work within this country, climate change is a global issue and you would have to account for the consequent effects worldwide. Technology can certainly help us but has to be properly worked out for a connected world run under capitalist and/or nationalist regimes.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: April 17, 2022, 11:15:29 AM »
If only things were that simple... but I see the link you provided referencing the contributions to the Conservatives by the construction companies is entirely "unconnected".

Even if robust legislation were to work within this country, climate change is a global issue and you would have to account for the consequent effects worldwide. Technology can certainly help us but has to be properly worked out for a connected world run under capitalist and/or nationalist regimes.

I'm not saying it's likely under this current (mal)administration. I'm just pointing out that with political will it can be done. As to the global issue, maybe sometimes you just have to do the right thing and hope others will catch up eventually. Not entirely likely I'll grant you, but the alternative sounds like we wait for some worldwide consensus before we act. Well, I don't see that happening anytime soon with India or China, so we need to act.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #315 on: April 17, 2022, 12:08:15 PM »
I'm not saying it's likely under this current (mal)administration. I'm just pointing out that with political will it can be done. As to the global issue, maybe sometimes you just have to do the right thing and hope others will catch up eventually. Not entirely likely I'll grant you, but the alternative sounds like we wait for some worldwide consensus before we act. Well, I don't see that happening anytime soon with India or China, so we need to act.

We certainly do need to act, not enough time to wait for consensus .. indeed: "Think globally, act locally"

The good news is that all the materials needed to construct panels are available in manageable quantities (worldwide,  ... batteries not so much). The problems relate to how we obtain, process and transport the materials. It's no good living here on solar energy, if it has caused further exploitation, poverty and inequality in other parts of the world - leading to people burning down forests in order to feed themselves.

Anyway, at home, if construction companies find they have to build in solar at extra cost that they can't make an immediate profit on on - what will they do? They would add it on as a mandatory - govt. required, cost - and who is going to vote for a government that will make all new house prices higher, given the current housing shambles?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #316 on: July 16, 2022, 06:07:51 AM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/15/weather/2050-uk-forecast-comes-true-in-2022/index.html

Two years ago, forecasters in the UK conducted an interesting thought experiment: What will our forecasts look like in 2050?

The climate crisis is pushing weather to the extreme all over the world, and temperatures in the northern latitudes have been particularly sensitive to these changes. So meteorologists at the UK Met Office -- the official weather forecast agency for the UK -- dove in to the super long-range climate models in the summer of 2020 to see what kind of temperatures they'd be forecasting in about three decades.

"Not actual weather forecast," the Met Office's graphics said. "Examples of plausible weather based on climate projections."

Well, on Monday and Tuesday, the "plausible" becomes reality -- 28 years early.

"Today, the forecast for Tuesday is shockingly almost identical for large parts of the country," Simon tweeted, adding in a later post that "what is coming on Tuesday gives an insight into the future."

In 30 years, this forecast will seem rather typical.

Temperatures are forecast to run 10 to 15 degrees warmer than normal early next week in the UK. Highs could approach 40 degrees Celsius (around 104 degrees Fahrenheit) for the first time -- a prediction that prompted meteorologists there to issue a "red" heat warning for the first time ever.

To be clear, this would be truly record-breaking heat. The country's hottest temperature ever measured was 38.7 degrees Celsius at the Cambridge Botanic Garden in 2019.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 06:10:41 AM by Sriram »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: July 30, 2022, 06:16:41 PM »
Apparently, this guy is at the extreme end of the opinion on climate change. So how come he sounds so right?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/30/total-climate-meltdown-inevitable-heatwaves-global-catastrophe?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #318 on: July 30, 2022, 08:13:20 PM »
Apparently, this guy is at the extreme end of the opinion on climate change. So how come he sounds so right?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/30/total-climate-meltdown-inevitable-heatwaves-global-catastrophe?
I don't think extreme climate change affirmers really help the cause.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2022, 09:02:56 PM »
even if they were right?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2022, 09:13:22 PM »

Part of his point is that we are seeing more extreme and unpredictable events, even than were forecast by his peers. That's why I think it feels:

1. correct.
2. Bloody unsettling.
3. Terrifying.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #321 on: July 31, 2022, 04:28:17 AM »
even if they were right?
All the other experts disagree with him, so they are probably right - and before you say "argumentum ad populum", it doesn't apply when we're talking about experts in a field.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #322 on: July 31, 2022, 11:50:59 AM »
I think it is very important to take climate change due to human activity seriously.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2022, 06:08:50 PM »
I think it is very important to take climate change due to human activity seriously.
True but I don't think anyone here disagrees with you.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator