Author Topic: Jack Whitehall cast as gay Disney character  (Read 3188 times)

Harrowby Hall

Re: Jack Whitehall cast as gay Disney character
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »
Did I see some suggestion a few days ago that the next James Bond could be black?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »
Did I see some suggestion a few days ago that the next James Bond could be black?
You did. Idris Elba. And?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
What do you mean ... "and" ... ?

Was this not a perfectly reasonable observation to make in view of the subject of this thread? Or were you looking for an argument?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 11:20:16 AM »
What do you mean ... "and" ... ?

Was this not a perfectly reasonable observation to make in view of the subject of this thread? Or were you looking for an argument?
I wondered what point you were making. I am still not sure.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »
So if there aren't any where enough near good enough female roles, is that not an issue?
Of course it is. In fact it is the real issue in respect of women getting good parts in plays and movies. Apologies if that didn't come through in my previous post.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
Applause!

Othello was one of our O level texts in Eng. Lit. Our English teacher had great fun in explaining to us what the line I quoted meant, since IIRC none of knew the verb "to tup".
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »
Of course it is. In fact it is the real issue in respect of women getting good parts in plays and movies. Apologies if that didn't come through in my previous post.
No problem. Thank you for the clarification.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 11:36:50 AM »

That's an interesting case. For me, the character of James Bond is white English upper class. A lot of his backstory is predicated on that. A black super spy working for British intelligence would be a different character and the only reason to call that character "James Bond" is box office. I'm not saying it wouldn't work and, to be honest, the existing formula tried my patience a bit in the last two films - I'd definitely pay to see Idris Elba as Bond.

Well, I'd pay to see anybody good as Bond. For some reason Scarlet Johansson as "Jane Bond" just popped into my head.

Rhiannon

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
Othello was one of our O level texts in Eng. Lit. Our English teacher had great fun in explaining to us what the line I quoted meant, since IIRC none of knew the verb "to tup".

Now I realise just how much of an in-the-sticks dweller I really am.

Rhiannon

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »
That's an interesting case. For me, the character of James Bond is white English upper class. A lot of his backstory is predicated on that. A black super spy working for British intelligence would be a different character and the only reason to call that character "James Bond" is box office. I'm not saying it wouldn't work and, to be honest, the existing formula tried my patience a bit in the last two films - I'd definitely pay to see Idris Elba as Bond.

Well, I'd pay to see anybody good as Bond. For some reason Scarlet Johansson as "Jane Bond" just popped into my head.

And I'm thinking of Ace Rimmer.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 11:41:05 AM »

Gillian Anderson suggested herself for the role. I get what you say about the character, though that seems about the books rather than the films, and the upper class bit went when they cast Connery. I think the films have almost no back story for Bond.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:52:34 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 11:44:31 AM »
Now I realise just how much of an in-the-sticks dweller I really am.
It's odd, isn't it? I don't think I knew the word when I did Othello either though I can't be sure, but certainly some people in my class would have when we studied it, because they came from more rural backgrounds.  It's always sounded Yorkshire in my head.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:49:58 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 11:48:22 AM »
A point of view.

https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/film/2018/08/jack-whitehall-disney-straight-actor-first-gay-character-problem
Some interesting points, not quite sure I understand the take on Neil Patrick Harris and Russell Tovey.

Rhiannon

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
It's odd, isn't it? I don't think I knew the word when I did Othello either though I can't be sure, but certainly some people in my cla s would have when we studied it, because they came from more rural backgrounds.  It's always sounded Yorkshire in my head.

I don't even live in sheep country, it's arable here. I think it must have something to do with what I read as a consequence of living in the country. I even know why ewes have coloured bottoms.

https://www.thenaturalfibre.co.uk/blog/time-tup

Rhiannon

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
Some interesting points, not quite sure I understand the take on Neil Patrick Harris and Russell Tovey.

No, I don't agree with all of it. I think though that I can understand how a group that feel marginalised in society (even if that isn't reflected in the film world in the same way) must feel about seeing a big first played by a straight guy. Like there are no gay actors who could play that part.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »
No, I don't agree with all of it. I think though that I can understand how a group that feel marginalised in society (even if that isn't reflected in the film world in the same way) must feel about seeing a big first played by a straight guy. Like there are no gay actors who could play that part.
I hadn't even thought of the sexuality of the actors in Call Me By Your Name, though I don't see a problem in the clauses asked for. And again, I hadn't considered if any openly gay actors had won Oscars. It makes valid points that even in a relatively accepting area of work, there is still miles to go.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:24:08 PM by Nearly Sane »

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2018, 01:07:57 PM »
I think the films have almost no back story for Bond.

The only one I can think of is Skyfall.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2018, 01:17:02 PM »
The only one I can think of is Skyfall.
Good point, just made me realise that's one of the reasons I find it problematic. My film idea of Bond is that he sprung out of M's mind, rather like Athena and Zeus, with less axe.

My book Bond is very different.

To pull it back to thread, what about a gay Bond?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:36:38 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2018, 04:25:44 PM »
First saw Maurice in a double bill wiih My Beautiful Launderette

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »
Gillian Anderson suggested herself for the role. I get what you say about the character, though that seems about the books rather than the films, and the upper class bit went when they cast Connery. I think the films have almost no back story for Bond.
Skyfall and Spectre are all about Bond's backstory.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2018, 04:28:34 PM »
Skyfall and Spectre are all about Bond's backstory.
Out of how many films?