Author Topic: Samuel Coleridge Taylor (And yes it is the right way round)  (Read 1157 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Rhiannon

Re: Samuel Coleridge Taylor (And yes it is the right way round)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 01:01:28 PM »
Interesting, and a little sad.

My first job was with the PRS.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »
Interesting, and a little sad.

My first job was with the PRS.
Yes, it is sad. Weirdly I found out about him because so read a tweet from Floella Benjamin (who I don't follow) about the fact that she has been trying to get someone to make a film about him for ages, and has just had another rejection.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »
But indeed someone I was unaware of till today.

Between the Wars, his Hiawatha was very popular - not surprising given that it was championed by Malcolm Sargent.

And Elgar thought highly of him as well.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »
Between the Wars, his Hiawatha was very popular - not surprising given that it was championed by Malcolm Sargent.

And yet I had managed to get a chunky percentage through my three score and ten with no clue to his existence, and I doubt I'm alone

Rhiannon

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 01:38:23 PM »
And yet I had managed to get a chunky percentage through my three score and ten with no clue to his existence, and I doubt I'm alone

That feels like a fashion thing. His work fell out of fashion?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »
That feels like a fashion thing. His work fell out of fashion?
Assume so. Listening to his stuff, I can't see anything that might explain that but then I suppose fashion is inexplicable.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 04:04:31 PM »

Indeed, and I think it was down to Elgar that his career gained a much needed boost. Can't think of that many black classical composers over the centuries, apart from the French creole violin virtuoso and composer Chevalier Saint-Georges.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 04:10:13 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 04:09:17 PM »
Assume so. Listening to his stuff, I can't see anything that might explain that but then I suppose fashion is inexplicable.

The tenor aria from Hiawatha "Onaway, awake beloved" has always been popular with those classically trained, high-voiced males. Rightly so - it's a lovely thing. The whole work is worth more than a bit of curiosity value. More so than the Longfellow poem on which it is based, I'd say.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »
I believe that Sargent's interwar performances of Hiawatha were given in a semi-staged format (rather like John Wilson's Broadway musicals at the Proms). This would probably make them more generally accessible than would conventional concert performances.

Incidentally, Longfellow is commemorated, with a bust, in Poet's Corner in Westminster Abbey. This seems rather strange since he was not British.  (Yes, T S Eliot is also in Poet's Corner - but he did become a British citizen and, indeed, very English.)
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?