Author Topic: Trans rights: a perspective  (Read 122108 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Trans rights: a perspective
« Reply #1100 on: July 26, 2021, 03:39:00 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1101 on: July 27, 2021, 04:48:39 PM »
Meanwhile Scottish civil servants being urged to put 'their pronouns' into email

https://archive.is/0Mbq4

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1102 on: July 28, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »
And American medical lecturers are being told off for using the terms man and woman

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/med-schools-are-now-denying-biological

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1103 on: July 29, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »
The IOC praising Laurel Hubbard and saying everyone knows that 'trans women are women' . Misogynist drivel.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/29/ioc-praises-weightlifter-laurel-hubbard-ahead-of-transgender-athletes-olympic-debut
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:48:51 AM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1104 on: July 29, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »
The IOC praising Laurel Hubbard and saying everyone knows that 'trans women are women' . Misogynist drivel.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/29/ioc-praises-weightlifter-laurel-hubbard-ahead-of-transgender-athletes-olympic-debut
I asgree - trans women should not compete as women. Inclusivity is all very well, but they have an unfair physical advantage.
I remember a similar controversy in the 60s, when an intersex athlete - xxy chromosomes, I think - who had the primary and secondary sexual organs of a woman, but male musculature, was banned from competing as a woman. Tough on her, but any other decision would've been unfair on other female athletes.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1105 on: July 29, 2021, 11:59:23 AM »
I asgree - trans women should not compete as women. Inclusivity is all very well, but they have an unfair physical advantage.
I remember a similar controversy in the 60s, when an intersex athlete - xxy chromosomes, I think - who had the primary and secondary sexual organs of a woman, but male musculature, was banned from competing as a woman. Tough on her, but any other decision would've been unfair on other female athletes.
People with DSDs (Differences in Sex Development) are a completely unrelated question to trans.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1106 on: July 29, 2021, 12:06:56 PM »
People with DSDs (Differences in Sex Development) are a completely unrelated question to trans.
Different, but hardly "completely unrelated". Google informs me that she was Ewa Klobukowska.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1107 on: July 29, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »
Different, but hardly "completely unrelated". Google informs me that she was Ewa Klobukowska.
In what way do you think they are related?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1108 on: July 29, 2021, 12:25:54 PM »
Oh, ffs - I was agreeing with you, and you still manage to pick an argument!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1109 on: July 29, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »
Good from The Economist on Laurel Hubbard

https://archive.is/SS6rg
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:54:35 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1110 on: July 29, 2021, 12:30:04 PM »
Oh, ffs - I was agreeing with you, and you still manage to pick an argument!
It's called a discussion. People can agree on one point but disagree on others. There's a strand of transactivism which seeks to use peoples with DSDs as pawns to muddy the waters on their position.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:36:47 PM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #1111 on: July 29, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »
Bollocks.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #1112 on: July 29, 2021, 01:48:17 PM »
It's not the same question but it is related. It's about how the body develops and whether it has the advantage of male development.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1113 on: July 29, 2021, 05:22:08 PM »
It's not the same question but it is related. It's about how the body develops and whether it has the advantage of male development.
Ok, I agree that some questions about what constitutes advantage come from the same place, and if that's what SteveH meant but didn't explain then this is what discussion looks like. However, If we take this approach as to what is a related set of questions, then it is more related to drugs cheating, since it's about modification.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 05:26:26 PM by Nearly Sane »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1114 on: July 29, 2021, 05:55:52 PM »
It certainly is related.

You'll no doubt remember Caster Semenya:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_Semenya

As an intersex woman with naturally hight testosterone levels she was required to take medication to suppress testosterone levels in order to be allowed to compete, with a requirement to demonstrate testosterone levels below a particular threshold. This seems highly analogous to the situation for trans women athletes.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1115 on: July 29, 2021, 06:14:57 PM »
It certainly is related.

You'll no doubt remember Caster Semenya:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_Semenya

As an intersex woman with naturally hight testosterone levels she was required to take medication to suppress testosterone levels in order to be allowed to compete, with a requirement to demonstrate testosterone levels below a particular threshold. This seems highly analogous to the situation for trans women athletes.
Was Semenya modifying her body?  As already stated, the trans approach seems more analogous to drug cheats. Do you support Hubbard's participation?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1116 on: July 29, 2021, 06:21:48 PM »
Was Semenya modifying her body?
In order to compete she was required to take medication that would reduce her natural testosterone levels which would therefore be body modifying. So I guess the answer is yes.

As already stated, the trans approach seems more analogous to drug cheats.
Actually in the cases of both Semenya and trans women athletes it seems to be the exact opposite of a drugs cheat. A drugs cheat takes a substance to enhance their performance above a level that would occur naturally. For Semenya and trans women athletes they are taking a substance to reduce their performance to a lower level than that which would occur naturally.

Do you support Hubbard's participation?
I think it is a minefield and I'm glad I'm not making the decisions. But I do think that the issue of trans women (note just trans women) being able to compete in athletics tournaments for women is distinct from the more general issues of trans rights, specifically because it is about athletic performance.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1117 on: July 29, 2021, 06:26:33 PM »
In order to compete she was required to take medication that would reduce her natural testosterone levels which would therefore be body modifying. So I guess the answer is yes.
Actually in the cases of both Semenya and trans women athletes it seems to be the exact opposite of a drugs cheat. A drugs cheat takes a substance to enhance their performance above a level that would occur naturally. For Semenya and trans women athletes they are taking a substance to reduce their performance to a lower level than that which would occur naturally.
I think it is a minefield and I'm glad I'm not making the decisions. But I do think that the issue of trans women (note just trans women) being able to compete in athletics tournaments for women is distinct from the more general issues of trans rights, specifically because it is about athletic performance.
I note your evasion on Hubbard. So simple question what is your definition of woman?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1118 on: July 29, 2021, 06:36:03 PM »
I note your evasion on Hubbard.
I'm not being evasive - I just think it is an incredible difficult issue in athletics. Finding something complicated isn't being evasive.

So simple question what is your definition of woman?
Presumably an adult human female person.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1119 on: July 29, 2021, 06:37:46 PM »
I note your evasion on Hubbard. So simple question what is your definition of woman?
I've answered your points. Can you please address mine regarding the completely opposite situation for performance enhancing drug cheats and people such as Semenya and trans women athletes who are actually taking performance reducing substances.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1120 on: July 29, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »
I'm not being evasive - I just think it is an incredible difficult issue in athletics. Finding something complicated isn't being evasive.
Presumably an adult human female person.
So not Hubbard, so he shouldn't be in the women's competition, so not 'incredibly difficult'.

Btw what does 'person' add in your definition?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1121 on: July 29, 2021, 06:42:39 PM »
I've answered your points. Can you please address mine regarding the completely opposite situation for performance enhancing drug cheats and people such as Semenya and trans women athletes who are actually taking performance reducing substances.
Semenya has not altered her body by drugs,  And has chosen not to. Hubbard and drug cheats have. Do you accept that testorone is not the only issue?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 07:24:23 PM by Nearly Sane »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1122 on: July 29, 2021, 07:08:53 PM »
So not Hubbard, so he shouldn't be in the women's competition, so not 'incredibly difficult'.
Depends on the approach to defining female doesn't it. In the sense of sex rather than gender male/female is determined anatomically, chromosomally to hormonally (or in combination). Athletics have decided that the most appropriate way to determine female for their purposes is hormonally, and I guess this makes sense as this is the key element that defines differences in performance between men and women. Hence they allow intersex and transgender people to compete as women provided they have testosterone levels within the normal range of women.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1123 on: July 29, 2021, 07:17:35 PM »
Depends on the approach to defining female doesn't it. In the sense of sex rather than gender male/female is determined anatomically, chromosomally to hormonally (or in combination). Athletics have decided that the most appropriate way to determine female for their purposes is hormonally, and I guess this makes sense as this is the key element that defines differences in performance between men and women. Hence they allow intersex and transgender people to compete as women provided they have testosterone levels within the normal range of women.
Unscientific evasive drivel.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #1124 on: July 29, 2021, 08:37:51 PM »
Was Semenya modifying her body?  As already stated, the trans approach seems more analogous to drug cheats. Do you support Hubbard's participation?

Caster Semenya is male. She has testes and no ovaries. The difference between her and trans women is that she didn't know she is male until she was tested. However, the same developmental advantages accrue for her as for trans women.

This is a hard case because her situation s not of her own making. Nevertheless, whatever the solution you propose to "who should be allowed to compete in women's sports" there are going to be hard cases like this.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply