Author Topic: Trans rights: a perspective  (Read 122074 times)

Outrider

Re: Trans rights: a perspective
« Reply #2175 on: June 07, 2024, 09:06:46 AM »
women reduced to stereotypes . How misogynist.

Which stereotype would that have been? Femininity, which is expressly stated as varying with time and place? Or... what?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #2176 on: June 07, 2024, 09:11:55 AM »
Which stereotype would that have been? Femininity, which is expressly stated as varying with time and place? Or... what?

O.
Your point seems to be arguing that trans women are feminine men but you can't define "feminine". On what basis are you arguing that "feminine" exists if you can't define "feminine"?
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2177 on: June 07, 2024, 09:15:50 AM »

O.
You are using it as a marker for some classification for 'women' and it's all stereotypes.

What are the circumstances where a man says he's a woman, and biological sex is not important? You seem to have accepted it is important as regards prisons, what about women's refuges, rape crisis centres, sports, medical treatment when requested from a woman by a woman, single sex wards  dating apps for lesbians, women's toilets, social media apps purely for women, support groups for pregnancy and menstruation? Are any of those not areas where sex isn't important?

When a man says he's is a woman, and you accept that, as true, don't you think that in terms of single sex spaces for women, you are accepting something that confuses that?

What is the difference between a man who says he's a woman, and one who lies that he is a women? How can you tell?

When Rachel Dolezal said she was black, do you think she was? If not, why not?

Outrider

« Reply #2178 on: June 07, 2024, 09:23:02 AM »
Nope - there is just one meaning of woman.

That's one of the reasons this discussion is going nowhere in so many instances - woman has a meaning in biological terms, and it has a meaning in gender terms, and whilst those two have a high-degree of crossover they aren't always identical.

It's up to the majority of women to decide if that meaning changes.

It's up to society as a whole - women, obviously, have a say in that, but it's not women's language.

Men pretending to be women i.e. trans women and other men in general including you - don't get a say.

You can try telling me what I'm allowed to mean when I use the term 'woman', but you're not going to get very far. You'll have more luck trying to convince me why you've a rationale behind your determination, and then you can convince everyone else, too, but so long as you sit there trying to be the language-police via internet you're not going to have much luck.

Trans women are trans women i,e. men pretending to be women.

In some contexts, although I'm more inclined to say 'fulfilling the role' than 'pretending'. In other contexts they're just women.

Nope, you as a man do not get to decide for women whether biological sex is important.

I'm not deciding. I'm part of a society which is collectively grappling with this new idea. You, as a person, don't get to tell me or anyone else what we can or can't have an opinion on. You can explain why you think your opinion is better informed, or more intimately affected, sure.

What you get to do is go back to your world of male privilege and stay there without making a fool of yourself expressing your view on the importance of biological sex for a woman.

I didn't say anything on the importance of biological sex for a woman. I said something on the importance of distinguishing gender from biological sex within society, and coming to a collective understanding on how - perhaps even if, eventually - we're going to differentiate between those. I accept that notion that there are times when biological sex is relevant and important, I accept that there are times when it's the overriding consideration. However, I also accept that there are times when it's irrelevant.

Femininity is an idea like Gods. Are you saying femininity exists biologically? How are you using the word "exists" here?

I'm saying it exists culturally. Like gods. In the long run I think we'll eventually get over the gender distinction entirely, and we'll just be people, but we're not there yet; just like I think we'll get over the 'gods' idea eventually. But we're not there yet, and we need to deal with the situation we have now.

When we're discussing women's safety and fairness in sport we're not discussing femininity, we're discussing biology.

Yep. And I'm fully behind making biological sex-based qualification the norm for almost every sport imaginable. I fully agree sport is about biology.

If you prioritise the feelings of men pretending to be women over female safety and fairness, that's just you expressing your male privilege - which is why your opinion is irrelevant.

And if I were prioritising those feelings you'd have a point, but I'm not. But equally I'm not blanket dismissing them as irrelevant, either. Perhaps, rather than presuming what I think, you should read what I've written?

Your point seems to be arguing that trans women are feminine men but you can't define "feminine".

No, I'm not arguing that trans-women are necessarily feminine, any more than I'm arguing that women by definition do fit to a particular understanding of feminine. I'm saying that the concept exists, that there is an understanding of a cultural 'role' that is seen to be the primary reserve of women, but that is independent of the biology.

On what basis are you arguing that "feminine" exists if you can't define "feminine"?

On the basis that we're having the discussion. A single 'feminine' notion isn't there, but a collective understanding that we operate in a culture that identifies the concept of 'feminine', rightly or wrongly, is.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #2179 on: June 07, 2024, 09:25:28 AM »
Yes I am interested in how Outrider defines feminine.

I played football as a kid, joined the OTC (part of the Territorial Army) at university, my hobby after I had my second child was kick-boxing. I enjoy driving and have been told I am a good driver. I like driving manual cars. I drive in Sri Lanka, the USA, Europe, Africa - would be happy to drive in every continent.

Outrider - do you have a definition of feminine? Does that definition include these activities - am I feminine because I enjoy doing all these things? Do you consider these to be feminine attributes?
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2180 on: June 07, 2024, 09:30:54 AM »
How about instead of reifying the concept of gender, we take it that it's in general a set of regressive ideas? I don't see it as a new idea that society is grappling with but rather an old shite idea repackaged in a way that has adversely affected women's sex based spaces.

Outrider

« Reply #2181 on: June 07, 2024, 09:34:35 AM »
You are using it as a marker for some classification for 'women' and it's all stereotypes.

We're all using it as a marker, we all have a cultural background that colours that understanding, and whether we accept it or reject it it's still there.

What are the circumstances where a man says he's a woman, and biological sex is not important?

How to talk to and about them. What toilet they use.

You seem to have accepted it is important as regards prisons, what about women's refuges, rape crisis centres, sports, medical treatment when requested from a woman by a woman, single sex wards  dating apps for lesbians, women's toilets, social media apps purely for women, support groups for pregnancy and menstruation? Are any of those not areas where sex isn't important?

I don't 'seem to have accepted' that it's important in prisons, I've been of that mindset from the start.

I'd say in the main, yes - I might be inclined to be a bit more nuanced around the social media apps, I might be inclined to suggest that having control around medical treatment options is something that should be controllable by everyone, I'm certainly of the opinion that communal wards for anyone is an antiquated throwback that should be jettisoned as soon as we can.

When a man says he's is a woman, and you accept that, as true, don't you think that in terms of single sex spaces for women, you are accepting something that confuses that?

When a woman who happens to have an inconvenient physiology is excluded from where she belongs, don't you see that as problematic? That's their viewpoint, and I might not understand it, but I don't have the right or the background to tell them that they're wrong. I'd like to live in a world where the stereotypes didn't exist, and people felt free to live as they want - we're not there, yet, but maybe this is a step in that direction.

What is the difference between a man who says he's a woman, and one who lies that he is a women? How can you tell?

Why are we limiting people with genuine troubles in their life based on the deceit of a few?

When Rachel Dolezal said she was black, do you think she was? If not, why not?

I understood what was underneath what she was saying, I think she was clumsy in getting it across - again, though, the problem came from not being able to adequately distinguish between the biology (i.e. ethnicity, sex) and the cultural associations of that (i.e. black culture, gender).

O.

Outrider

« Reply #2182 on: June 07, 2024, 09:47:06 AM »
Yes I am interested in how Outrider defines feminine.

I try not to, although I suspect I don't always succeed. I'm more interested on a day-to-day at trying to reinterpret the cultural expectations around masculinity, but the same principles generally apply. The point isn't that I have a definition, the point isn't that there is any single or right definition, even for one age-group, or region, or cultural subgroup. The point is that it's a fluid concept, but it's still a concept that's out there that we're interacting with all the time.

I played football as a kid, joined the OTC (part of the Territorial Army) at university, my hobby after I had my second child was kick-boxing. I enjoy driving and have been told I am a good driver. I like driving manual cars. I drive in Sri Lanka, the USA, Europe, Africa - would be happy to drive in every continent.

And regardless of what I feel, would you agree that in early 21st century Britain they're still not seen as traditionally feminine? We might feel that was patronising and restrictive, certainly Mrs O. and I aren't bringing our daughter up to feel restricted by those sorts of considerations, but that sentiment is still out there. For context, Mrs O. and I met at our local Ju Jitsu club, she's a Maths graduate and started her working career in IT - none of those are traditionally 'feminine', which didn't bother either of us. And yet we're still trying to balance buying clothes for our kids, because at 5 our daughter has all this cultural weight pushing on her telling her that she should be more worried about appearance than her brother should, that girls should be associated with princesses and unicorns whilst her brother should be about dinosaurs and spaceships. I don't like that gender bias, but you can't live in a world where that's so pernicious and still think that the concept of 'feminine' doesn't exist - shouldn't, you could argue, and I'd be inclined to agree, but not doesn't.

Outrider - do you have a definition of feminine?

A definition? No. Examples, yes. Do I think they should be important? No. Are they? Yes.

Does that definition include these activities - am I feminine because I enjoy doing all these things? Do you consider these to be feminine attributes?

I think I've addressed that already, but for clarity. I consider those to be not particularly feminine, but that's because I don't get to define what is or isn't, I just identify what I see (imperfectly, perhaps) as being the cultural background. I'm not bothered by what is or isn't feminine, but other people are. I work in schools, and the differences in teen behaviour aren't primarily biological, they're cultural: girls aren't consistently rolling their skirts up because of biology, or we'd see the same behaviour from the girls wearing the head-scarves, but we don't. Boys aren't walking around with their shirts untucked to annoy the teachers, they're doing it because the cultural expectation on them is to appear slightly unkempt, ruffled, in a way that the girls aren't.

So the boys that want to be well-dressed, that want to preen - are they feminine? They're certainly viewed that way by some, they face criticism for that from some. There's a cultural pressure on them to conform to gender expectations based on a 'role' that's defined by culture, but to which they're assigned because of their biological sex (or, at least, from someone's assumption of their biological sex).

O.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2183 on: June 07, 2024, 09:51:33 AM »
We're all using it as a marker, we all have a cultural background that colours that understanding, and whether we accept it or reject it it's still there.

How to talk to and about them. What toilet they use.

I don't 'seem to have accepted' that it's important in prisons, I've been of that mindset from the start.

I'd say in the main, yes - I might be inclined to be a bit more nuanced around the social media apps, I might be inclined to suggest that having control around medical treatment options is something that should be controllable by everyone, I'm certainly of the opinion that communal wards for anyone is an antiquated throwback that should be jettisoned as soon as we can.

When a woman who happens to have an inconvenient physiology is excluded from where she belongs, don't you see that as problematic? That's their viewpoint, and I might not understand it, but I don't have the right or the background to tell them that they're wrong. I'd like to live in a world where the stereotypes didn't exist, and people felt free to live as they want - we're not there, yet, but maybe this is a step in that direction.

Why are we limiting people with genuine troubles in their life based on the deceit of a few?

I understood what was underneath what she was saying, I think she was clumsy in getting it across - again, though, the problem came from not being able to adequately distinguish between the biology (i.e. ethnicity, sex) and the cultural associations of that (i.e. black culture, gender).

O.

So if a women who has been traumatised by rape does not want men in a toilet outside, here fears are worthless to you, and she should just accept mwn who say they are women in there?

What is an 'inconvenient physiology'? And if a group is sex based then yes, men should be excluded from it, no matter how  inconvenient they find their physiology.

As to why should men who genuinely think they are a women, as opposed to thise lying about it  then yes, I do think they should be excluded because it's the women who I'm concerned about. I'm not going to rape anyone but safeguarding dictates that I should be excluded from spaces that would make it easier for me to do so.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #2184 on: June 07, 2024, 09:54:59 AM »
That's one of the reasons this discussion is going nowhere in so many instances - woman has a meaning in biological terms, and it has a meaning in gender terms, and whilst those two have a high-degree of crossover they aren't always identical.
No, the word "women" doesn't have a meaning in gender terms no matter how much you and a minority group of self-interested men really, really want to believe it does.

It's up to society as a whole - women, obviously, have a say in that, but it's not women's language.
And women overwhelmingly are saying trans women are not women - it's a small minority of men pretending to be women and some useful idiots like you enabling them that is trying to change the meaning of the word.   

You can try telling me what I'm allowed to mean when I use the term 'woman', but you're not going to get very far. You'll have more luck trying to convince me why you've a rationale behind your determination, and then you can convince everyone else, too, but so long as you sit there trying to be the language-police via internet you're not going to have much luck.
Actually you and your minority of self-interested men friends would have more luck in changing the meaning of the word "women" if you had a rationale for your meaning of the word. Go ahead, give it your best shot - because all I'm hearing so far from you is that you really, really, really believe "woman" should have a different meaning from its current biological meaning, because you really, really believe "feminine" exists but you can't define "feminine".

In some contexts, although I'm more inclined to say 'fulfilling the role' than 'pretending'. In other contexts they're just women.

I'm not deciding. I'm part of a society which is collectively grappling with this new idea. You, as a person, don't get to tell me or anyone else what we can or can't have an opinion on. You can explain why you think your opinion is better informed, or more intimately affected, sure.
You can have an opinion on what you like - it doesn't mean your opinion would be considered relevant to anyone but yourself - to get a say on the matter you first need to present your credentials. Over to you - on what basis are you arguing that you know the importance of biology to a woman, given you have no experience of the importance of biology to a woman?

I didn't say anything on the importance of biological sex for a woman. I said something on the importance of distinguishing gender from biological sex within society, and coming to a collective understanding on how - perhaps even if, eventually - we're going to differentiate between those. I accept that notion that there are times when biological sex is relevant and important, I accept that there are times when it's the overriding consideration. However, I also accept that there are times when it's irrelevant.
Ok - so you are arguing that there are times it is irrelevant - like when, please provide some actual examples so I can understand what you mean.

I'm saying it exists culturally. Like gods. In the long run I think we'll eventually get over the gender distinction entirely, and we'll just be people, but we're not there yet; just like I think we'll get over the 'gods' idea eventually. But we're not there yet, and we need to deal with the situation we have now.
Ok so are you saying you would be ok with having your employer fire you or being visited by the police because you disagree with someone's cultural ideas and beliefs e.g. if you say in public that gods are figments of people's imagination? Or you say you don't believe gods really exist so you don't think we should be teaching children in school that gods do exist? 

Yep. And I'm fully behind making biological sex-based qualification the norm for almost every sport imaginable. I fully agree sport is about biology.
Noted.

And if I were prioritising those feelings you'd have a point, but I'm not. But equally I'm not blanket dismissing them as irrelevant, either. Perhaps, rather than presuming what I think, you should read what I've written?
Ok noted.

No, I'm not arguing that trans-women are necessarily feminine, any more than I'm arguing that women by definition do fit to a particular understanding of feminine. I'm saying that the concept exists, that there is an understanding of a cultural 'role' that is seen to be the primary reserve of women, but that is independent of the biology.

On the basis that we're having the discussion. A single 'feminine' notion isn't there, but a collective understanding that we operate in a culture that identifies the concept of 'feminine', rightly or wrongly, is.

O.
The concept of gods exists independent of biology. The concept of lots of things exist independent of biology - such as the supernatural, honour, duty, integrity, patriotism, dying for a cause, transcendence etc etc. Are you arguing that would should change the meaning of words for physical things that do exist, to incorporate these concepts. A sword exists, would your argument work to change the meaning of the word "sword" to also mean having a sense of honour and duty because rightly or wrongly we operate in a culture that identifies "honour and duty" with violence?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2185 on: June 07, 2024, 10:07:37 AM »

O.

You don't think people should believe in god and should move beyond that. You say the same about gender.

And yet for people who say they believe in god, you argue that they are wring, but for men who declare they are the gender women, you affirm that they are correct. Why the completely different and logically inconsistent approach?

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #2186 on: June 07, 2024, 10:12:07 AM »
I try not to, although I suspect I don't always succeed. I'm more interested on a day-to-day at trying to reinterpret the cultural expectations around masculinity, but the same principles generally apply. The point isn't that I have a definition, the point isn't that there is any single or right definition, even for one age-group, or region, or cultural subgroup. The point is that it's a fluid concept, but it's still a concept that's out there that we're interacting with all the time.
The point is that biology isn't a fluid concept to women and the biological basis of being a woman throws up all kinds of serious issues for women that society has not made sufficient progress in addressing. There is still an issue of women overwhelmingly facing physical violence and physical intimidation and rape threats from men to coerce them into silence and obedience because of women's biology - such as their weaker, smaller physical attributes ; of women having to take career breaks that men do not have to take because the majority of child care falls to women because of biology e.g pregnancy, giving birth, breastfeeding, which means women are not sufficiently present at work to earn similar rewards to men. So trying to change the biological term "woman" so you add fluid meanings to it that no one seems to be able to define is trivialising those serious issues.

And regardless of what I feel, would you agree that in early 21st century Britain they're still not seen as traditionally feminine? We might feel that was patronising and restrictive, certainly Mrs O. and I aren't bringing our daughter up to feel restricted by those sorts of considerations, but that sentiment is still out there. For context, Mrs O. and I met at our local Ju Jitsu club, she's a Maths graduate and started her working career in IT - none of those are traditionally 'feminine', which didn't bother either of us. And yet we're still trying to balance buying clothes for our kids, because at 5 our daughter has all this cultural weight pushing on her telling her that she should be more worried about appearance than her brother should, that girls should be associated with princesses and unicorns whilst her brother should be about dinosaurs and spaceships. I don't like that gender bias, but you can't live in a world where that's so pernicious and still think that the concept of 'feminine' doesn't exist - shouldn't, you could argue, and I'd be inclined to agree, but not doesn't.
If you are trying to argue it shouldn't exist why are you trying to pander to it by reinforcing those stereotypes by arguing that men who exhibit those stereotypes are women?

A definition? No. Examples, yes. Do I think they should be important? No. Are they? Yes.

I think I've addressed that already, but for clarity. I consider those to be not particularly feminine, but that's because I don't get to define what is or isn't, I just identify what I see (imperfectly, perhaps) as being the cultural background. I'm not bothered by what is or isn't feminine, but other people are. I work in schools, and the differences in teen behaviour aren't primarily biological, they're cultural: girls aren't consistently rolling their skirts up because of biology, or we'd see the same behaviour from the girls wearing the head-scarves, but we don't. Boys aren't walking around with their shirts untucked to annoy the teachers, they're doing it because the cultural expectation on them is to appear slightly unkempt, ruffled, in a way that the girls aren't.

So the boys that want to be well-dressed, that want to preen - are they feminine? They're certainly viewed that way by some, they face criticism for that from some. There's a cultural pressure on them to conform to gender expectations based on a 'role' that's defined by culture, but to which they're assigned because of their biological sex (or, at least, from someone's assumption of their biological sex).

O.
Ok you work in a school. The cultural expectation of the academic performance of many black boys in school is not great. The cultural expectation of the academic performance of many white boys in school is not great. Boys face criticism for being a nerd. Do we pander to that cultural expectation or try to change it?

Christine

« Reply #2187 on: June 07, 2024, 10:18:10 AM »
You can pass a law to say wolves are legally sheep. It doesn't make it true.

If I'd been asked to sign off my work emails with 'Christ is King' or some such, and my boss was sending me emails signed off with 'Christ is King' and told me I was a bigot for thinking that personal politics should be kept out of work and that being openly atheist was a daily insult akin to using racial slurs to my Christian colleagues, presumably O, BHS and PD would be on my side?

The willingness of supposedly left wing people to disregard not just women's voices and concerns, but material reality, in order to support a irrational ideology that benefits men at the expense of women and children (based in Queer Theory which suggests there's no such thing as objective reality) has certainly opened my eyes.

I've not got much option but to be "obsessed" at the moment, chaps. I'm unemployed. Judicial mediation of my ET claim is in less than 3 weeks. I'm not crowd funding, I'm paying solicitors out of my savings, because I don't want to divert scarce resources from other women worse off than me. My union PCS (37 years of subs) didn't support me despite the internal investigation that confirmed discrimination and harassment and support from the local rep. If I could afford it I'd sue them too.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #2188 on: June 07, 2024, 10:45:47 AM »

If I'd been asked to sign off my work emails with 'Christ is King' or some such, and my boss was sending me emails signed off with 'Christ is King' and told me I was a bigot for thinking that personal politics should be kept out of work and that being openly atheist was a daily insult akin to using racial slurs to my Christian colleagues, presumably O, BHS and PD would be on my side?

The willingness of supposedly left wing people to disregard not just women's voices and concerns, but material reality, in order to support a irrational ideology that benefits men at the expense of women and children (based in Queer Theory which suggests there's no such thing as objective reality) has certainly opened my eyes.

I've not got much option but to be "obsessed" at the moment, chaps. I'm unemployed. Judicial mediation of my ET claim is in less than 3 weeks. I'm not crowd funding, I'm paying solicitors out of my savings, because I don't want to divert scarce resources from other women worse off than me. My union PCS (37 years of subs) didn't support me despite the internal investigation that confirmed discrimination and harassment and support from the local rep. If I could afford it I'd sue them too.
Wow Christine - I am so sorry. Wish you all the best and if there is anything I can do to help you have my support. Well done for standing up at huge personal cost to the bigoted views of some men who think women's voices and opinions on this are trivial - you're like a Suffragette! 

I assume you can't say much about your case until after the Judicial mediation but please keep me posted, whether it's by PM or on the thread.

I don't work for someone else, otherwise I would probably be out of a job too like you. My friend, who is a solicitor working for a large City company, says it is a hill she is prepared to die on, especially as she has a girl and 2 boys being taught to pander to this cultural pressure. She hasn't been fired yet but we send each other updates on the issue and she has taken part in protests and activism for it.

Christine

« Reply #2189 on: June 07, 2024, 11:14:22 AM »
Wow Christine - I am so sorry. Wish you all the best and if there is anything I can do to help you have my support. Well done for standing up at huge personal cost to the bigoted views of some men who think women's voices and opinions on this are trivial - you're like a Suffragette! 

I assume you can't say much about your case until after the Judicial mediation but please keep me posted, whether it's by PM or on the thread.

I don't work for someone else, otherwise I would probably be out of a job too like you. My friend, who is a solicitor working for a large City company, says it is a hill she is prepared to die on, especially as she has a girl and 2 boys being taught to pander to this cultural pressure. She hasn't been fired yet but we send each other updates on the issue and she has taken part in protests and activism for it.

Thank you so much for your good wishes. I have support from a lot of women that I met as a direct result of taking a stand on this and I couldn't be more grateful. My ex-employer would have liked me to believe that I was a lone bigot taking issue with their political posturing and misrepresentations of the law. I know I'm not a bigot, and now I know I'm not alone.

Outrider

« Reply #2190 on: June 07, 2024, 11:20:53 AM »
So if a women who has been traumatised by rape does not want men in a toilet outside, her fears are worthless to you, and she should just accept men who say they are women in there?

No. But in the context of people being in a public space, what is the significant element, their biological sex, or their gender? If they appear as a woman, act as a woman, think of themselves as a woman, in that situation in what way are they not a woman?

What is an 'inconvenient physiology'?

In this context, feeling like one gender, but being of the biological sex that's typically associated with the other.

And if a group is sex based then yes, men should be excluded from it, no matter how  inconvenient they find their physiology.

Yep. But what about women who used to be men?

As to why should men who genuinely think they are a women, as opposed to thise lying about it  then yes, I do think they should be excluded because it's the women who I'm concerned about.

And I'm not trying to pick a side, I'm trying to find a situation that's as fair and equitable for as many people as possible.

I'm not going to rape anyone but safeguarding dictates that I should be excluded from spaces that would make it easier for me to do so.

The overwhelming majority of men, women, trans-men and trans-women are not going to rape anyone, either. The thin end of the wedge argument isn't a good place to start a discourse

There's a slew of evidence out there to suggest that trans-women are at an even higher risk of rape and sexual assault than cisgender women, how do we accommodate that reality?

O.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #2191 on: June 07, 2024, 11:32:51 AM »
Christine - you're definitely not alone. It's worrying how this gender ideology and dogma held by a minority (many trans people don't even agree with it) wormed its way into the workplace and schools and tried to takeover.

I really don't understand this let's pander to cultural pressure argument that apparently works for unevidenced beliefs about "gender" but doesn't similarly apply to beliefs about gods. 

There are other beliefs that there is cultural pressure to pander to. Not the same thing as gender I know, but I have the cultural expectations and pressure in my community that fair skin is more attractive than dark skin. I have no idea how the quantity of melanin in your skin determines beauty or attractiveness. My own parents brought me up with this nonsense - I thought they were mad for not just holding these beliefs but trying to pressure me to live by them, and I took every opportunity to tell them. It isn't just them - it's everywhere in Asian society. I spend my holidays out in the sun enjoying myself and I flaunt my tan to my community and tell them they're all mad for thinking fair is more beautiful.

Just the other day my daughter asked my dad (he's 82)  if he thought my mum was pretty when he saw her to discuss getting married - his response was "well her colour...she wasn't fair, not like your mother" (meaning me). My daughters are both darker than me - so I just regularly tell them their grandparents are morons on this issue and seeking the approval of morons would be equally moronic.

Outrider

« Reply #2192 on: June 07, 2024, 11:38:17 AM »
The point is that biology isn't a fluid concept to women and the biological basis of being a woman throws up all kinds of serious issues for women that society has not made sufficient progress in addressing.

Biology isn't a fluid concept in this, but we're not just talking about biology, whether you're a woman or not. Yes, the biological basis of both sexes throws up all sorts of issues that we're really poor, collectively, at dealing with. From male teenage hormonal anger and aggression through to cultural taboos on even talking about menstruation and menopause. Not talking about something else as well isn't some sort of balancing out, though.

There is still an issue of women overwhelmingly facing physical violence and physical intimidation and rape threats from men to coerce them into silence and obedience because of women's biology - such as their weaker, smaller physical attributes ; of women having to take career breaks that men do not have to take because the majority of child care falls to women because of biology e.g pregnancy, giving birth, breastfeeding, which means women are not sufficiently present at work to earn similar rewards to men.

And how does trying to pretend that transgender people don't have concerns address any of that? They do need addressing, both in ways I'm aware of and almost certainly in a plethora of ways I'm not even aware, but treating transgender people as potential rapists 'just in case' doesn't help any of that.

So trying to change the biological term "woman" so you add fluid meanings to it that no one seems to be able to define is trivialising those serious issues.

Nobody is trying to redefine the biology. Nobody. Not me. Not anyone I know. Not anyone I've read about. Nobody. We're accepting the reality that society has expectations of people BECAUSE of their biology, that aren't actually dependent upon that biology, and that cultural phenomenon is, broadly, 'gender'. And as it's not inerrantly fixed to biology, people are free to transgress those expectations. Increasingly, with medical procedures, even elements - and only elements - of the physicality can be altered.

If you are trying to argue it shouldn't exist why are you trying to pander to it by reinforcing those stereotypes by arguing that men who exhibit those stereotypes are women?

I'm not arguing that they are all women. I'm arguing that as the stereotypes aren't intrinsically fixed to biology, and as we use the word 'woman' interchangeably (and at times at crossed purposes) between referencing sex and gender, that there's an area where we're still collectively trying to update. Sometimes I feel like a different word for the gender aspect of men and women would be useful, but at the same time I suspect it would quickly become weaponised; on the one hand it would be used to differentiate 'gender women' from 'real women' in situations where it's not relevant, and on the other extreme it would become a slur.

Ok you work in a school. The cultural expectation of the academic performance of many black boys in school is not great. The cultural expectation of the academic performance of many white boys in school is not great. Boys face criticism for being a nerd. Do we pander to that cultural expectation or try to change it?

Both, to an extent. If you rail against the current cultural expectations you persuade fringe members, perhaps, but you typically are ignored as irrelevant. To change the culture you need to work with it, within it. The teachers that make changes in schools aren't the authoritarians who make rules and edicts from afar, they're the ones who show the kids that they understand, and then show them a better way from as far inside their framework as they can get. You can't reach all of them, and the more extreme subcultures - you called out black boys and white boys, I'd specifically suggest devout Muslim children and working-class white boys - are the hardest to be seen as relevant within.

I don't know what the equivalent is with the groups of women who have reservations about trans-women. On a purely academic level I think I understand at least some of the sentiment - I can't really appreciate it, which you can consider 'male privilege' in a way, though in this context I don't think that helps. Maybe it's arrogance to be outside of that and think that it gives an element of dispassionate balance, certainly Mrs O. takes a line closer to yours than mine on this.

I'd love for it not to be an issue. I'd love for society to be so devoid of these expectations that nobody really associated particular traits or activities with one sex or the other, and gender wasn't a thing. I'd love for my little girl, who's currently 5, not to need to be prepared for this world. That's not the world I've got - we've got.

O.

Christine

« Reply #2193 on: June 07, 2024, 12:02:36 PM »
"Feeling like one gender"

How in the name of flying spaghetti does a person feel like a "gender"? I have no idea how other women feel, never mind what the nebulous essence of womanhood is that gender ideologues think makes men women.

The word woman is taken. It describes an adult female human, like mare describes an adult female horse. We have to be able to describe ourselves - accurately, exclusively - to defend our rights.

Some of us are 6'2" and never wear dresses or make-up. Some of us like sci-fi, drinking, smoking and swearing. Some of us never wanted or gave birth to children. We're still women. Gender ideologues are the ones limiting people's freedom to be themselves by suggesting the stereotypes you most closely align with might mean you need dangerous drugs and surgery to change your physical appearance. The main beneficiaries of that are pharmaceutical corporations and unethical surgeons.

A child in the US started on this path is likely to generate about $1.3m over their lifetime for drug companies and doctors. Imagine the damage to the environment of all that unnecessary medicalisation of personality and taste. Progressive? It'd be hilarious if it wasn't for all the ruined bodies and lives.

Read the WPATH files. Read the Cass review. Watch The Lost Boys.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #2194 on: June 07, 2024, 12:48:40 PM »
Biology isn't a fluid concept in this, but we're not just talking about biology, whether you're a woman or not. Yes, the biological basis of both sexes throws up all sorts of issues that we're really poor, collectively, at dealing with. From male teenage hormonal anger and aggression through to cultural taboos on even talking about menstruation and menopause. Not talking about something else as well isn't some sort of balancing out, though.
Who is "not talking" about the something else? We're all happy to talk about men who identify with feminine stereotypes. "Talking" about it is not an accurate description of what is happening though - what is happening is we're being told that we have to believe their mental disorders and label a man a woman on pain of losing our jobs or our livelihoods or being visited by the police, not to mention having men pretending to be women threatening to rape us with their lady dicks or assault us if we disagree with them. We also face losing out on scholarships and medals and opportunities in sport and work as men pretending to be women use their biological advantages to take our spots and try to silence dissent using the aggression that comes with the biology of being a man. Does that seem like talking to you? Or does that seem like unevidenced dogma that you should be standing up against rather than pandering to? 

And how does trying to pretend that transgender people don't have concerns address any of that?
Who is trying to pretend trans people don't have concerns. Gender dysphoria is a mental disorder that requires treatment and as with any mental health issues their distress does need addressing, but how did you decide that perpetuating the stereotypes of femininity to the detriment of real women is a price you are willing to pay to soothe the unevidenced beliefs of men pretending to be women? 

They do need addressing, both in ways I'm aware of and almost certainly in a plethora of ways I'm not even aware, but treating transgender people as potential rapists 'just in case' doesn't help any of that.
What does that even mean - treating them as potential rapists? Why don't you tell me your take on why society segregate men from women by law and prioritise single-sex sports and certain other facilities, while also allowing mixed sports and facilities in other areas? Is there some evidential basis for that or did society just pluck that division out of thin air?

Nobody is trying to redefine the biology. Nobody. Not me. Not anyone I know. Not anyone I've read about. Nobody. We're accepting the reality that society has expectations of people BECAUSE of their biology, that aren't actually dependent upon that biology, and that cultural phenomenon is, broadly, 'gender'. And as it's not inerrantly fixed to biology, people are free to transgress those expectations. Increasingly, with medical procedures, even elements - and only elements - of the physicality can be altered.
Does that mean you can also accept the reality that society has expectations of people because of the cultural phenomenon of religion and gods that aren't really dependent on actual science or biology? You know - things like where religion says it's a sin to be gay? People are free to transgress those expectations but if people in a society really, really believe it's a sin to be gay, we should as a society pander to those cultural expectations right, because that is the reality of the society they live in?

I'm not arguing that they are all women. I'm arguing that as the stereotypes aren't intrinsically fixed to biology, and as we use the word 'woman' interchangeably (and at times at crossed purposes) between referencing sex and gender, that there's an area where we're still collectively trying to update. Sometimes I feel like a different word for the gender aspect of men and women would be useful, but at the same time I suspect it would quickly become weaponised; on the one hand it would be used to differentiate 'gender women' from 'real women' in situations where it's not relevant, and on the other extreme it would become a slur.
So what you're arguing is that for example a person's sexuality - a sexual preference based on biology - could be weaponised so while it could be handy to have a different word for same sex attraction, maybe it's better not to in case some extremists use it as a slur?

Both, to an extent. If you rail against the current cultural expectations you persuade fringe members, perhaps, but you typically are ignored as irrelevant. To change the culture you need to work with it, within it. The teachers that make changes in schools aren't the authoritarians who make rules and edicts from afar, they're the ones who show the kids that they understand, and then show them a better way from as far inside their framework as they can get.
Ah ok so to change the culture of gender stereotypes, including the trans women who are buying into those stereotypes, you want to show them a better way i.e. not pandering to gender stereotypes? So you will try to persuade them within their framework to not try to reinforce cultural gender stereotypes by wearing dresses, wigs, having breast implants etc?

Or did you mean no authoritarian rules to try to change the minds of gender-critical  women such as cancelling their livelihood, labelling them bigots, firing them, have the police visit them - you think society should show them it understands and try to show them a better way from as far inside their framework as they can get - is that what you're arguing?

You can't reach all of them, and the more extreme subcultures - you called out black boys and white boys, I'd specifically suggest devout Muslim children and working-class white boys - are the hardest to be seen as relevant within.
And what is the stereotype you are working with for "devout" Muslims?

I don't know what the equivalent is with the groups of women who have reservations about trans-women. On a purely academic level I think I understand at least some of the sentiment - I can't really appreciate it, which you can consider 'male privilege' in a way, though in this context I don't think that helps. Maybe it's arrogance to be outside of that and think that it gives an element of dispassionate balance, certainly Mrs O. takes a line closer to yours than mine on this.
Yes I'd say being outside the feeling of constantly being on your guard in case a predatory man tries to take advantage of your smaller stature and strength everywhere you go - each time you get into your car, when you make plans to travel, when you are alone in a confined space with a man - that would certainly erode some of the arrogance. You don't have an element of "dispassionate balance" - it's called not giving a toss because it's not part of your experience from childhood.

I'd love for it not to be an issue. I'd love for society to be so devoid of these expectations that nobody really associated particular traits or activities with one sex or the other, and gender wasn't a thing. I'd love for my little girl, who's currently 5, not to need to be prepared for this world. That's not the world I've got - we've got.

O.
Well it's certainly not going to happen while you're pandering to it instead of arguing against it. Hence the problem with a lot of the political parties in the election who are also pandering to it.

Outrider

« Reply #2195 on: June 07, 2024, 01:24:30 PM »
Who is "not talking" about the something else?

Everyone.

We're all happy to talk about men who identify with feminine stereotypes.

If we'd been doing that for a while, we might not be in this situation.

"Talking" about it is not an accurate description of what is happening though - what is happening is we're being told that we have to believe their mental disorders and label a man a woman on pain of losing our jobs or our livelihoods or being visited by the police, not to mention having men pretending to be women threatening to rape us with their lady dicks or assault us if we disagree with them.

We are talking about it. Collectively we're talking about it. Some people are being militant about it, some people are trying - and succeeding - in using the law to get their way. People on both sides feel aggrieved, sometimes rightly so, sometimes not. I can't speak to the prevalence of the fear of rape and assault, though I can sympathise; I can empathise with being automatically considered a predator because I was born with a penis, and while I can understand why that's the case, it doesn't take away the disappointment when I get strange looks taking my kids to the park. And it does happen, not a lot. It's not on the same level as what I understand women go through, but it's part and parcel of the same underlying problem.

We also face losing out on scholarships and medals and opportunities in sport and work as men pretending to be women use their biological advantages to take our spots and try to silence dissent using the aggression that comes with the biology of being a man.

On the sporting front, as I've said, I agree with you, which doesn't stop it happening, and presumably doesn't stop the sense of resentment building, in this case for a justified reason. On the idea of (non-sporting related) scholarships and places, I'm a little less convinced. If someone is living as a woman, regardless of the sex they were born with, they face the same discrimination in the workplace.

Does that seem like talking to you?

Yes. We talk to convince, we talk to express, we talk to effect change. We're all talking, we're all communicating - some well, some less so - and so we're all influencing the ongoing conversation that's establish the social norms.

Or does that seem like unevidenced dogma that you should be standing up against rather than pandering to?

It seems as much unevidenced dogma to me as the idea that gender doesn't exist, there is only biological sex and people.

Who is trying to pretend trans people don't have concerns. Gender dysphoria is a mental disorder that requires treatment and as with any mental health issues their distress does need addressing, but how did you decide that perpetuating the stereotypes of femininity to the detriment of real women is a price you are willing to pay to soothe the unevidenced beliefs of men pretending to be women?

Where am I perpetuating the stereotypes of femininity? I acknowledge that they are part of our cultural background, should I deny that fact? Gender dysphoria is a mental disorder, and the best available evidence we have for how to treat that varies on the individual circumstances, but it includes transitioning to various extents - if we can't find a way to accommodate that, if we continue to alienate and exclude and 'other' people in these situations, that's effectively treating them as though their concerns don't matter, or at least don't matter enough.

What does that even mean - treating them as potential rapists?

From the 'outside', making appeals to worry about 'lady dicks' and 'threats of rape' in discussions about trans-men is akin to the longstanding equivocation between gay men and paedophiles. Yes, if you get enough trans-women into consideration some of them will have a history of sexual violence. To make laws, rules and judgements on that small minority is treating them all as potential rapists.

Why don't you tell me your take on why society segregate men from women by law and prioritise single-sex sports and certain other facilities, while also allowing mixed sports and facilities in other areas? Is there some evidential basis for that or did society just pluck that division out of thin air?

Bits of both, I suspect. Women's sports, in the main, are maintained as a result of the realities of biology that they can't directly compete physically, but in at least some instances they emerged in the first instance because men wouldn't play against women as it was not socially acceptable, not because women weren't competitive. The idea of women being not just non-competitive but physically incapable or at risk from competing then followed, as men tried to preserve their space as the 'physical' sex/gender. My take on why, now, a mixture of reasons, some rational (women's biological lack of physical weight, power and size on average), and some cultural (male cheerleaders, female racing drivers).

Does that mean you can also accept the reality that society has expectations of people because of the cultural phenomenon of religion and gods that aren't really dependent on actual science or biology?

Of course, that's sort of the point. We're a lot further along the argument against religion, though, than we are against the notion of gender. In part because gods aren't real, but biological sex is.

You know - things like where religion says it's a sin to be gay? People are free to transgress those expectations but if people in a society really, really believe it's a sin to be gay, we should as a society pander to those cultural expectations right, because that is the reality of the society they live in?

When society was ready to turn the corner on criminalising homosexuality in the West, it did. Across broad swathes of the rest of the world that's not the case yet, in some places it's regressing. That debate started in earnest in the mainstream in the late 1950s, and we still haven't 'solved' it. And it happened in small steps, as society updated and reevaluated, and sexuality went from being 'right and wrong' to 'normal and variant' and is approaching a place where individual preferences from asexuality through to pansexuality are seen as just that; individual preferences. I don't know how long it's going to take to get to the place regarding gender, but we're only at the start of the social transition - if you'll excuse the phrasing.

So what you're arguing is that for example a person's sexuality - a sexual preference based on biology - could be weaponised so while it could be handy to have a different word for same sex attraction, maybe it's better not to in case some extremists use it as a slur?

We already do. Gay has been a pejorative for so long that it's used by some to reclaim their identity, for others as a general epithet without necessary an explicit reference to sexuality at all, and large sections of the lesbian community don't identify with it at all any more.

Ah ok so to change the culture of gender stereotypes, including the trans women who are buying into those stereotypes, you want to show them a better way i.e. not pandering to gender stereotypes? So you will try to persuade them within their framework to not try to reinforce cultural gender stereotypes by wearing dresses, wigs, having breast implants etc?

On an individual level, as a person, I would probably be inclined to try to dissuade them, yes. I don't see why having a penis stops you doing any of the things you want to do, any more than having breasts and a vagina stops you. However, if they, in conversation with someone with a lot more expertise in the field than me decides that the best way for them to feel good about themselves and their life is to transition I don't have the data or the expertise to speak against that. If someone's already transitioned, and they're happier for it, and it's working for them, I'm not going to tell them it was all in their head, I'm going to wish them well and hope they continue to feel good about their life.

Or did you mean no authoritarian rules to try to change the minds of gender-critical  women such as cancelling their livelihood, labelling them bigots, firing them, have the police visit them - you think society should show them it understands and try to show them a better way from as far inside their framework as they can get - is that what you're arguing?

I think weaponising the legal system on people for having an opinion on an area like this, where we're collectively still trying to decide what we think is right, is not only unhelpful, but unjust.

And what is the stereotype you are working with for "devout" Muslims?

It varies - I work in schools, but I'm not an educator, I don't interact with the students a great deal, but there are female Muslim students who significantly underperform with male teachers, for instance, for as I understand it a variety of reasons from fear of being seen by their peers to be too interested to being too concerned of the social restrictions around them to speak up when they don't understand. Equally there are a male Muslim students who play up to female teachers, again in part because of a sense of peer-pressure at allowing women to direct them in some way. This is less prevalent in the schools with a lower proportion of Muslim students. The 'devout' phrasing isn't mine, I should not, it's the shorthand reference that's used in the Trust I work for; I don't doubt their are equally devout Muslims who don't have this sense, if there's a better phrasing you can think of I'm happy to use it.

Yes I'd say being outside the feeling of constantly being on your guard in case a predatory man tries to take advantage of your smaller stature and strength everywhere you go - each time you get into your car, when you make plans to travel, when you are alone in a confined space with a man - that would certainly erode some of the arrogance. You don't have an element of "dispassionate balance" - it's called not giving a toss because it's not part of your experience from childhood.

If I didn't give a toss I wouldn't be trying to have the discussion, I'd just dismiss your concerns and tell you 'not to worry your pretty little head about'.

Well it's certainly not going to happen while you're pandering to it instead of arguing against it.

Accepting a reality isn't pandering, any more than fighting against the current status quo is tilting at windmills.

Hence the problem with a lot of the political parties in the election who are also pandering to it.

Politicians aren't the wind of change, they're driven before the wind. If they're moving that way it's because their voters - culture, society - is moving that way.

O.

Christine

« Reply #2196 on: June 07, 2024, 02:43:52 PM »
Outrider,

I have a lot of respect for your manner of debating. I think, when you know more about the reality of what is going on, you might reconsider your position on this.

I would urge you to read Time To Think by Hannah Barnes, or Trans by Helen Joyce. Or just listen to Helen Joyce being interviewed on the subject, by anyone, at any time. Watch Jennifer Lahl's film The Lost Boys.

Human beings can't change sex. If adults want to modify their bodies, and there is no other treatment for their mental distress, ok, but a man who has had surgery is still a man.

Lying to children that they can choose whether to grow up to be a man or a woman, and ought to have the right to take dangerous drugs to interfere with one of the most crucial phases of their physical and mental development, is wrong.

Opposition to gender ideology is nothing like the homophobia of the past. Many lesbians and gay men are sex realists. If sex isn't real, as someone once said, there is no same sex attraction. Ex-Stonewall CEO Nancy Kelley compared lesbians who don't want to sleep with men to racists. Stonewall want men who call themselves women to "overcome the cotton ceiling". If anything is old-school homophobia it's lesbians being told they just haven't tried the right penis yet.

I don't think you know what's going on. When examples and evidence are provided, the unaware assume we're exaggerating, or flat-out lying to justify our 'phobia', because it does sound incredible.

I'm someone who tried hard and sincerely to use they/them pronouns for a young woman, even in her absence, four years ago. Before I knew what I was endorsing by going along with it. (Or trying to go along with it. There's a cognitive burden in constantly trying to monitor your speech. Especially when your brain wants to tell the truth by default.)

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #2197 on: June 07, 2024, 03:19:20 PM »
NS,

The Equality Act has exceptions that allow for single sex spaces, and the confusion is whether that means that people who have a GRC are defined in all sense as of the sex women, or not. Hence the Tories suggesting it needs redrafted, and Labour saying it needs more guidance issued to ensure that sex can mean sex and not gender.

Oh and just for info a GRC can be issued with no surgery or hormones.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/equality/equality-act-2010/your-rights-under-equality-act-2010/sex-discrimination

Yes I know, but I still see no evidence base for transitioned women posing a greater risk to female prisoners than do “born” women. If there is such evidence then of course it should be taken into account; if not though, why should the concerns of inmates about transitioned women be treated differently from concerns about, say, concerns about black women or for that matter about lesbian women?

That the law can't change science. So no matter the surgery or hormones, they are still blokes saying they are women.

Women's prisons were set up because of the safeguarding threat of men. You have no evidence to show that a specific group of men aren't but yet you want the women to be put at risk on the evidence free basis.

Science in this case would be applying a technical designation. What relevance do you think this has to whether or not transitioned women thus designated are differentially higher risk to inmates than are any other women?

Female prisons were set up in part to protect the inmates from men, but you can’t rely on something that made sense long before sex change was possible to justify discriminating against transitioned women for all functional purposes, notwithstanding that they may technically still be designated as men.

All of this discussion feels like a red herring to me. Either transitioned women are higher risk to inmates than born women, or they’re not. And if they’re not, why are you so vexed about this?
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #2198 on: June 07, 2024, 03:20:45 PM »
VG,

On what rational evidential basis is a man who is proposing to undergo gender reassignment a woman? Because he says he is a woman? You're just going to take his word for it are you?

If someone's say so is enough for you then I assume over on the Searching for God thread you'll just be taking Alan's word for it that he has had several encounters with God through prayer. If not, why not?

Nice selective quoting there. Why have you edited out transitioned women who have undergone surgery or partially undergone surgery? Does this mean that you’re now ok with these categories going to women’s prisons?

As for the group you selected (men who intend to have reassignment surgery but haven’t started it yet) then yes – if I was to steel man my own argument this is the group I’d look askance at because, in theory at least, they’re the ones who could fake it. I’m not close enough to this world to know in practice how this sub-set of a protected class would be handled, but I’d be happy to be educated about it. Could someone self-certify just with a “yes, I plan to have the surgery” or would additional checks be needed?

Incidentally, if (heaven forfend) you were an inmate in a women’s prison and the governor came to you and said “we have two arrivals today, one of whom you have to share your cell with. One is a fully transitioned, post surgery woman with no history of sexual interest in other women, the other is a born woman with a history of predatory sexual behaviour toward other women” which would you pick, and why?

Would you not for example want both to be fully risk assessed, and then to pick the one with the lower risk profile? 

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #2199 on: June 07, 2024, 03:47:47 PM »
Hi Christine,

Yes, but that’s not what’s happening here. It’s not just about passing a law to say men are women – it’s about men who undergo radical reassignment surgery and take high doses of hormones to become women for most or all day-to-day functional purposes no matter the technical designation they may retain.   

Well I would, but again that’s not an analogous example. Signing e-mails concerns choices and decisions; gender reassignment on the other have is about physical and chemical changes such that the material reality is changed. I couldn’t for example transition on Monday, and then choose to be non-transitioned on Tuesday because my boss told me to be non-transitioned.     

By “disregarded” do you mean ignored, or addressed and found to be unfounded? Again, if my concern as a female prisoner about having a transitioned woman as a fellow prisoner was found to have no more evidential justification than my concerns about black prisoners or lesbian prisoners, should my concerns be acted on in respect of just one of those groups nonetheless, all of them or none of them? And if you think just the former, why?     

I’m very sorry to hear that Christine – it sounds awful. In a former life I was a partner in a large accountancy firm where I was involved in several ETs (on both sides), and I remember how stressful they can be. It’s cold comfort to tell you that it will pass, and that time brings perspective but for what it's worth that’s consistently been my experience from the people involved. My best wishes to you.               

God