Author Topic: Trans rights: a perspective  (Read 122095 times)

Robbie

Re: Trans rights: a perspective
« Reply #1250 on: September 26, 2021, 05:25:55 PM »
Bramble  ;D.

Keir Starmer seems to be out of his depth, oh woe.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1251 on: September 27, 2021, 08:45:16 AM »
Bramble  ;D.

Keir Starmer seems to be out of his depth, oh woe.

Not out of his depth. Something more cynical than that. He's trying to have his cake and eat it. Or falling between two stools. Choose your idiom.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1253 on: September 27, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »
Meanwhile David Lammy thinks that women who want not to have male rapists in women's prisons are 'dinosaurs hoarding rights'

He can fuck off

https://labourlist.org/2021/09/anti-trans-members-are-dinosaurs-who-want-to-hoard-rights-says-lammy/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1254 on: September 28, 2021, 08:17:57 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1255 on: September 28, 2021, 11:51:12 AM »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #1256 on: September 28, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
Not out of his depth. Something more cynical than that. He's trying to have his cake and eat it. Or falling between two stools. Choose your idiom.

Nah, I think he just bungled the question. If he had more time or was more relaxed he could probably have explained his stance.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1257 on: September 28, 2021, 12:24:20 PM »
Nah, I think he just bungled the question. If he had more time or was more relaxed he could probably have explained his stance.

Maybe. I just feel like I'm giving the current Labour leadership a lot of "benefit of the doubt" at present.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1258 on: September 28, 2021, 12:43:21 PM »
Given Ed Davey on Marr, the previous week, and that Rosie Duffield didn't feel safe to attend the conference, then it was an obvious question. He threw Duffield and women's sex based spaces under the bus just like so many Labour MPs

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1442783035389325313.html

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1259 on: September 28, 2021, 01:39:40 PM »
Classic non apology apology from the ACLU for butchering Ruth Bader Ginsberg's words with added drivel

https://timcast.com/news/executive-director-of-aclu-apologizes-for-removing-references-to-women-from-ruth-bader-ginsburg-quote/

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #1260 on: September 28, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
Given Ed Davey on Marr, the previous week, and that Rosie Duffield didn't feel safe to attend the conference, then it was an obvious question. He threw Duffield and women's sex based spaces under the bus just like so many Labour MPs

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1442783035389325313.html

Yes, I've seen that. But the problem with a lot of this is that it is a battle of quip vs quip (or tweets or short quotes). The issues are mostly straightforward but as the language is complex and nuanced, so any discussion must explore them in carefully in depth.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1261 on: September 28, 2021, 02:02:35 PM »
Yes, I've seen that. But the problem with a lot of this is that it is a battle of quip vs quip (or tweets or short quotes). The issues are mostly straightforward but as the language is complex and nuanced, so any discussion must explore them in carefully in depth.

No, sorry that's vacuous. Dismissing the statements  that a rapist should be in a women's prison because he identifies as a woman, or that there should be no women's spaces as 'quips' is actually a quip, and an unfunny simplistic one at that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 02:29:44 PM by Nearly Sane »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #1262 on: September 28, 2021, 02:30:30 PM »
No, sorry that's vacuous. Dismissing the statements  that a rapist should be in a women's prison because gd identifies as a woman, or that there should be no women's soaces as 'quips' is actually a quip, and an unfunny simplistic one at that.

Not sure what "gd" is but that is what I mean - those "statements" are worthless as they don't have appropriate discussion/agreement behind them - they are put out to provoke. Countering them without a discussion with those making them, just results in more of the same or further abuse.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1263 on: September 28, 2021, 03:29:17 PM »
Not sure what "gd" is but that is what I mean - those "statements" are worthless as they don't have appropriate discussion/agreement behind them - they are put out to provoke. Countering them without a discussion with those making them, just results in more of the same or further abuse.
It was 'he' rather than gd. I'm sorry that you think that quoting someone is bad. It seems bizarre tome that you are suggesting that no one should be quoted if the person quoting them hasn't had a 'discussion' with the person. Starmer is a professional politician and QC answering a question that he knew was going to be asked. If he says that saying that 'only woman have a cervix 'is something that that shouldn't be said. It is not right, what are people supposed to do? Ignore it? It's his choice of statement. He's perfectly capable of making clear what he means in an interview.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #1264 on: September 28, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
oh no .. I didn't mean that quoting anyone is "bad" with or without a preceding discussion. I was complaining that there is no discussion - just a battle of quotes and slogans boiling down to abuse.

On Starmer's response specifically - he bungled the question completely: As you say he should have known it would be put, particularly wrt. Duffield. He should have made the effort to answer it properly - that the statement is not transphobic but that the feelings of people who identify as men but have a cervix ought to be considered when using it - depending on the context. Then he could have gone on to discuss further if pressed by Marr - who usually gives up if he actually gets a relevant answer.   

Of-course the "not transphobic" bit would have been quoted out of context and led to a torrent of abusive tweets - but so what?   

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1265 on: September 28, 2021, 06:06:33 PM »
oh no .. I didn't mean that quoting anyone is "bad" with or without a preceding discussion. I was complaining that there is no discussion - just a battle of quotes and slogans boiling down to abuse.

On Starmer's response specifically - he bungled the question completely: As you say he should have known it would be put, particularly wrt. Duffield. He should have made the effort to answer it properly - that the statement is not transphobic but that the feelings of people who identify as men but have a cervix ought to be considered when using it - depending on the context. Then he could have gone on to discuss further if pressed by Marr - who usually gives up if he actually gets a relevant answer.   

Of-course the "not transphobic" bit would have been quoted out of context and led to a torrent of abusive tweets - but so what?   
The greatest upset at the 'only women have a cervix' is from men who identify as women because it doesn't follow the mantra of 'Transwomen are women'.

Though Stonewall have only just realised that their campaign to allow people to change their sex marker record on the NHS causes real problems

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #1266 on: September 28, 2021, 08:22:21 PM »
The greatest upset at the 'only women have a cervix' is from men who identify as women because it doesn't follow the mantra of 'Transwomen are women'.

Though Stonewall have only just realised that their campaign to allow people to change their sex marker record on the NHS causes real problems

"only women have a cervix" says nothing about women or transwomen who do not have a cervix. If transwomen take offence at it they are taking offence at imagined slights. If they believe "transwomen are women" in a biological sense that is clearly incorrect - as you say it is a mantra and can't be generally accepted without full explanation, discussion and agreement on what that means - something that can't happen on twitter.

Also, worth distinguishing between transwomen and trans-activists - as they are not the same groups. I suspect that trans-activists, for various reasons, manufacture outrage at statements that most transwomen/men would not object to. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1267 on: September 28, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »
"only women have a cervix" says nothing about women or transwomen who do not have a cervix. If transwomen take offence at it they are taking offence at imagined slights. If they believe "transwomen are women" in a biological sense that is clearly incorrect - as you say it is a mantra and can't be generally accepted without full explanation, discussion and agreement on what that means - something that can't happen on twitter.

Also, worth distinguishing between transwomen and trans-activists - as they are not the same groups. I suspect that trans-activists, for various reasons, manufacture outrage at statements that most transwomen/men would not object to. 

Agree, though I don't use the term transwomen as it both seems a hostage to fortune, and meaningless. As to the biological fact,  the  idea that there is anything other tthan the biology seems nonsensical to me. Note, that doesn't mean I believe in 'biological  essentialism', a misused phrase by TRAs.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1268 on: September 29, 2021, 08:35:16 AM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #1269 on: September 29, 2021, 09:18:22 AM »

Any chance of providing a link to the Tweet? I often enjoy perusing the replies to such tweets and it also provides provenance.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1270 on: September 29, 2021, 09:53:13 AM »
Any chance of providing a link to the Tweet? I often enjoy perusing the replies to such tweets and it also provides provenance.
Will do, when I get the chance

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1271 on: September 29, 2021, 12:58:36 PM »

https://twitter.com/stonewalluk/status/1442536623749545999?s=19

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1272 on: September 29, 2021, 02:00:56 PM »

https://twitter.com/stonewalluk/status/1442536623749545999?s=19
Thanks for that. It didn't disappoint. The highlight was this autocorrect failure

It's not an IT fault, it's set up correctly. MEN don't have crevices and if you ever try to carry out a cervical smear test on a man, please invite me along just for a giggle.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1273 on: September 29, 2021, 04:09:15 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1274 on: September 29, 2021, 05:28:31 PM »
Just wow!

And link

https://twitter.com/JustDavidDavid/status/1443199025004568581?s=19
Presumably the recommended treatment in such cases does not involve amputations?